Man I'm annoying, sorry, but you guys are helping me a lot!
Anyways, here goes:

I've started using studybass.com (which I think is amazing), and Ive got a little bit of problems/ questions...

1. Is studybass.com reliable?

2. Do I really play with the "pad" area of my fingers, or with the tips? Studybass says to use the pads, but all other sources tell me to use my fingertips...

3. Well, Studybass also says to use the least effort possible everywhere. For my plucking hand, should I be using almost no effort? I tried and it still gives me a good sound, plus it takes out a lot of buzzing, so Im guessing it's good to use almost no effort/strength/ on plucking? If you can't understand this question...is it good to pluck really softly/effortless
But so that it still makes the note?

4. Is it normal that I hear the "thumping" of the string that my plucking fingers are "landing on" when I pluck?

I think that's it for now...so...any help is appreciated!

Thanks for the help!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
when they say play with with your fingertips they mean on your fretting hand but it could be different for bass idk
Quote by supersac
when they say play with with your fingertips they mean on your fretting hand but it could be different for bass idk

I know that, sorry if I wasn't clear...I meant...do you feet with your fingerpads for that question...
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
1. yeah its a great site.

2. do whichever is easier/sounds better for you/feels most natural.

3. that is the way you are 'meant' to play. although, as lots of bassists have proven, you don't always have to play the way you are meant to play. do whatever you feel suits the music you are playing. for example, i wouldn't stand perfectly still and stroke the strings gently if i was playing in a loud metal/rock band. i'd dig in.

4. it's not 'perfect technique' no you can reduce it with a little eq'ing.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
1) Yes
2) You play with the tips as much as possible, there are a few situations where you simply may have to fret with the pads, such as rolling, but for the most part it's always the tips.
3) Yes, the more economic and effortless you play the better, always, no exceptions.
4) That's fairly normal and usually that sound becomes hidden with normal playing and especially within a band. It's nothing to be concerned with unless it becomes very noticeable in which case maybe you may want to take some time to re-evaluate your pluck.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Yes
2) You play with the tips as much as possible, there are a few situations where you simply may have to fret with the pads, such as rolling, but for the most part it's always the tips.
3) Yes, the more economic and effortless you play the better, always, no exceptions.
4) That's fairly normal and usually that sound becomes hidden with normal playing and especially within a band. It's nothing to be concerned with unless it becomes very noticeable in which case maybe you may want to take some time to re-evaluate your pluck.

Yeah, the thump thump thump is only really noticeable if you focus on the sound like I do...even I didn't notice it until today :P
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
I sometimes use a lot of effort and sometimes none at all. It's all about how good you are at what your playing.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Plucking hard gives you a different sound that you might want to use, but generally speaking play soft.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
Plucking hard gives you a different sound that you might want to use, but generally speaking play soft.

Yeah but the problem with my bass is that when I play harder it buzzes a lot, and when I play effortlessly, the buzzing practically dissapears.
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Rancid Ivy
Yeah but the problem with my bass is that when I play harder it buzzes a lot, and when I play effortlessly, the buzzing practically dissapears.

I had this problem when I started.
I still like to play harder when playing a bit of thrash metal, but althought the distorted buzz was kinda cool, it needed reducing.

I changed my EQ (lower bass, higher mids). The helped.
I cleaned my strings and that helped.
The rest is pretty much down to the amp/natural buzz I reckon. I'm still fairly new, but this is from my experience with this sorta thing.
1) it is quite good
2) depends on what you play. for jazz, blues etc its better to use pads then your fretting hand can help with muting and youll have a clear sound with proper attack and rests (and thats quite important. "playing" the rests properly) if you play rock, metal, punk etc and a dirty sound is ok or preferable then use fingertips. regarding to speed it doesnt really matter. you can play fast both ways. but if you can mute strings properly with your plucking hand you can play the way its more comfortable. if thats a proper answer..
3) using the less effort possible is for your fretting hand.. (well, less effort but without making the strings buzz) you actually control volume with your plucking hand so use the proper ammount of effort to achieve the desired volume and note dynamics. (takes some practice. first try to get a consistent volume THEN control dynamics)
4) its ok but you should try to minimize the unwanted sound

hope this helps =)
Seems like everyone else has given you some solid answers. I'd like to add a throught on economy, essentially you want to make a solid note while using as little effort as possible. Relax your right arm and hand and just pedal a single note with your index and middle fingers. See how long you can do it. The more relaxed you are, the more stamina you'll have.

A great song for practicing this is "Edge of 17" by Stevie Nicks, be it on guitar or bass. Sure, it sounds easy because the guitarist is just playing 2 notes through the entire song, but pedaling the same note at a steady rhythm without missing a beat for 5 minutes takes a bit of stamina, and picking economy is the best way to develop it.

Hope that helps. Don't worry about 'being annoying', the whole point of this forum is to ask questions.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play