Sometime during this month I'm going to be ordering a PRS SE Custom 24, new, most likely from Musician's Friend, so it will run me around $500 USD.
I was just wondering though, because of the PRS-designed Trem it has, would it need setup for drop tuning? Such as drop C, C standard, D standard.. I drop tune a lot, and change tunings very often, because I play mainly metal.
Can I just go ahead and start tuning down, or do I need to mess with the Trem system? I actually hadn't thought of this before, and was just wondering. I have very little experience with any style of tremelo, as I've only had one guitar that had a trem in it before: A Ibanez RG350DX (Which was completely faulty, has many problems rendering it unplayable at the moment, thinking about blocking the trem)
Now, since the PRS has the trem system, I need to know if I can tune lower than standard before I buy it.

If anyone also has any suggestions on a guitar that would better suit my needs, please tell me. I was just thinking I should grab one of the PRS' before they're completely discontinued, and I've heard it's extremely versatile and would be great for metal.

If you have a better idea of what I should get, here's some info:
BUDGET: ~$500 USD
I play through a Roland Cube 30x, with a Boss DS-1
My main guitar at the moment is an Epiphone SG Special.
I also have an Ibanez AGS73B Semi-hollow (was a gift), a very nice guitar, but doesn't suit what I play at all.

Back to the reason I'm posting..
Can the PRS SE Custom 24 be tuned down without messing with the trem system?
AND
Would there be a better guitar I should look at and compare before going with the PRS?
It's a great guitar that handles drop tuning well. What I did on my similar guitar since I was in the same position, was I had the trem blocked, cost me about £30 with a full set up, and now I can change to any tuning I want with no worries. Of course it renders the tremolo useless but seeing as how you were saying you have little experience with them I doubt it would make a difference. If you didn't it would require some messing about with for tuning changes
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I find that when I change the tuning on any floyd rose type, I need to adjust the tremolo. If you change from Drop D to Drop A, your spring tension will no longer be equal to your spring tension and your bridge will drop back. If you change tunings often, fixed bridges would be your best bet. My Ibanez has a very awesome original edge tremolo and it needs adjustment when I drop from standard to D.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Quote by Dopey_Trout
It's a great guitar that handles drop tuning well. What I did on my similar guitar since I was in the same position, was I had the trem blocked, cost me about £30 with a full set up, and now I can change to any tuning I want with no worries. Of course it renders the tremolo useless but seeing as how you were saying you have little experience with them I doubt it would make a difference. If you didn't it would require some messing about with for tuning changes

That's what I've heard about it, and when I checked one out it was INCREDIBLE for only $500 bucks.. and I didn't try anything lower then standard because of the trem and I hadn't even thought about it then.
So I should block the trem on it?
Quote by zeemonkey
I find that when I change the tuning on any floyd rose type, I need to adjust the tremolo. If you change from Drop D to Drop A, your spring tension will no longer be equal to your spring tension and your bridge will drop back. If you change tunings often, fixed bridges would be your best bet. My Ibanez has a very awesome original edge tremolo and it needs adjustment when I drop from standard to D.

Would I be better off possibly going for a different guitar entirely? One preferably without any style of trem, and just has a stop bar tailpiece?
I change tunings so much, I don't want to hassle around with a trem..
Getting the trem blocked was a one off thing, I did it and never had to worry about it again. I personally find the trem bridge more comfortable on my hand too. But if you'd rather not deal with it then maybe have a look at Epiphones?

Quote by zeemonkey

PRS trem is not a Floyd style trem, so it's a lot different and a lot less sensitive
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at Jan 2, 2010,
i have actually tested the prs trems in a store. its sort of like a floating strat trem. u can keep detuning the strings, and the bridge will sink, but only so far, and then the body blocks it. but if u dont want to mess with a trem, get something with a vintage trem, or stop tail.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Eek, I was uninformed as to the nature of the trem. I thought it was a FR type, sorry bout that, man. A regular trem would still react the same, but to a lesser degree, unless you find a PRS with a bigsby or something of the sort.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Quote by TheAbsentOne
Sometime during this month I'm going to be ordering a PRS SE Custom 24, new, most likely from Musician's Friend, so it will run me around $500 USD.
I was just wondering though, because of the PRS-designed Trem it has, would it need setup for drop tuning? Such as drop C, C standard, D standard.. I drop tune a lot, and change tunings very often, because I play mainly metal.
Can I just go ahead and start tuning down, or do I need to mess with the Trem system? I actually hadn't thought of this before, and was just wondering. I have very little experience with any style of tremelo, as I've only had one guitar that had a trem in it before: A Ibanez RG350DX (Which was completely faulty, has many problems rendering it unplayable at the moment, thinking about blocking the trem)
Now, since the PRS has the trem system, I need to know if I can tune lower than standard before I buy it.

If anyone also has any suggestions on a guitar that would better suit my needs, please tell me. I was just thinking I should grab one of the PRS' before they're completely discontinued, and I've heard it's extremely versatile and would be great for metal.

If you have a better idea of what I should get, here's some info:
BUDGET: ~$500 USD
I play through a Roland Cube 30x, with a Boss DS-1
My main guitar at the moment is an Epiphone SG Special.
I also have an Ibanez AGS73B Semi-hollow (was a gift), a very nice guitar, but doesn't suit what I play at all.

Back to the reason I'm posting..
Can the PRS SE Custom 24 be tuned down without messing with the trem system?
AND
Would there be a better guitar I should look at and compare before going with the PRS?

They have discontinued a LOT of their models including the SE 22 & 24. If ya want one new then buy one if ya still have the chance.
Coming to PRS trem, they often use a fulcrum trem on their SE guitars, this one is similar to a floating bridge trem but more stable. But it does not compare to a double locking floyd rose tremolo bridge! The fulcrum trem has a limit as to how much it can either lower or raise the pitch, so you might wish to consider that too. Also since they discontinued a handful of their models, they are supposed to come up with new ones soon & one of them has a Floyd rose trem in it, not sure which one, but they haven't updated their site with the new models. They was a thread around here about them, so try reading that one. Also these SE's are quite easy to mod, nice guitars overall. best of luck getting hold of the discontinued ones, before someone else gets to them first
TS, why don't you get the stoptail version? I have a PRS SE singlecut, stoptail. I mess with tunings quite a bit. PRS, even the SE line, are amazing guitars, I'd highly recommend them. but try getting the stoptail version?

anyway, I have an Ibanez with a floyd rose, I blocked it off on my own. as someone else said, never had to worry bout it again.
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 Combo - for sale? considering selling it.
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Ibanez GRG270CA (for sale)
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
my se custom has no problem handling dropped tunings. heck i even use it for some breaking benjamin songs that are in drop A. the bridge has no issues what so ever.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Do you really need the tremolo? If not, why not buy a PRS SE Custom 22 with a stoptail?

I'm just suggesting this because you seem a bit afraid of drop-tuning with a tremolo bridge, and you could just eliminate that from the equation... I've heard nothing but good things about PRS's fixed bridge.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Last edited by holycow at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by Twist of fate

The PRS 24 handles drop tuning very well, I have never gone below D standard... but it held up nicely.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by Linkerman
Do you really need the tremolo? If not, why not buy a PRS SE Custom 22 with a stoptail?

I'm just suggesting this because you seem a bit afraid of drop-tuning with a tremolo bridge, and you could just eliminate that from the equation... I've heard nothing but good things about PRS's fixed bridge.

That's what I orginally wanted to get, but I cannot find a single place online (I'm ordering from offline, only way) that has them in stock. Either it says they've been discontinued (I know they are) Or the place just doesn't even have them in their catalog anymore.
If you could find a link to a place that sells one for under $500 USD, please send it to me it'd be greatly appreciated.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
That's what I orginally wanted to get, but I cannot find a single place online (I'm ordering from offline, only way) that has them in stock. Either it says they've been discontinued (I know they are) Or the place just doesn't even have them in their catalog anymore.
If you could find a link to a place that sells one for under $500 USD, please send it to me it'd be greatly appreciated.

I know that DV247, Dolphin Music and MusicStore still have them in stock, but since they're in Europe, i don't know if they ship to the USA...

Try to contact them, see if they are willing to do it. Sometimes when you ask, they do stuff that isn't "listed".
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by TheAbsentOne
This has been suggested to me so many times.. I actually might want it.
Should I? O.O

yes, its way better than the PRS SE custom. Better pickups, hardware, electronics, nut, tuners, bridge, craftmenship etc.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
yes, its way better than the PRS SE custom. Better pickups, hardware, electronics, nut, tuners, bridge, craftmenship etc.

Not really.

For example, i prefer the PRS standard humbuckers to the SDs any day.
The PRS stoptail is one of the best fixed bridges around, imho.
The hardware on the SE line is nickel, and the only thing that COULD eventually be worth being replaced are the tuners. Oh, and it has a graphite nut.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 4, 2010,
Just to stir the pot, I received a se cust 24 for my birthday, and I love it but im not in love with it for this exact reason. When i drop the tuning the whole guitar goes out and it just slows down my playing time. Im considering blocking the trem because i do really like the guitar but im also thinking i like the fatter more round tone of the prs se 245. its a Les Paul style guitar, but has at thicker neck and no trem.