hi all.
im new mem
is there any priciple to compose a deathmetal (techdeath ...) song ?
sorry about my poor english
The songwriting and riffs section is thataway.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
fool around in some dropped tunings and find a catchy riff, then base most of your song around it.
well, for lyrics include the words "rot, death, scourge, die". you should be good then.
I'm a drummer, guitarist, bassist, songwriter, and vocalist. It's good to be balanced.
Well any good "de" words from the bowels.

Cookies for getting the reference.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by OctoberWind
Well any good "de" words from the bowels.

Cookies for getting the reference.

mmm strong bad
Quote by I is be sexy
mmm strong bad

Here, have some cookies.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Well writing Death Metal is not that simple.
If you never wrote a song before I advise that TechDeath ain't the best style of music to start with...try something slower like Obituary.
And if you have expirience in writing I sugest you tune your guitar really low like Drop C or drop every string 2 or 3( if you are as crazy as me) steps down but then tunnig is up to you to choose. As far as riffing goes just think fast palm-muted riffs and loads of tremolo-picking to give the evil ambience. One final thing and that is the problem of many tech death band: Let the song(and the listener breath) dont write everything at f***ing light speed otherwise its gonna feel like your ears are getting a colonoscopy. Use slower, grovier and catchy fiffs too...just experiment...make your songs interesting...break the rules of death if needed....BUT NEVER BUT NEVER CLEAN VOCALS OK??? And thats all....Good Luck
Quote by HenriqueAlmeida
Well writing Death Metal is not that simple.
If you never wrote a song before I advise that TechDeath ain't the best style of music to start with...try something slower like Obituary.
And if you have expirience in writing I sugest you tune your guitar really low like Drop C or drop every string 2 or 3( if you are as crazy as me) steps down but then tunnig is up to you to choose. As far as riffing goes just think fast palm-muted riffs and loads of tremolo-picking to give the evil ambience. One final thing and that is the problem of many tech death band: Let the song(and the listener breath) dont write everything at f***ing light speed otherwise its gonna feel like your ears are getting a colonoscopy. Use slower, grovier and catchy fiffs too...just experiment...make your songs interesting...break the rules of death if needed....BUT NEVER BUT NEVER CLEAN VOCALS OK??? And thats all....Good Luck

hi Henri ,
thank you so much
do i need play in one Key and scale or just play what i want (dont care any key and scale)
by the way can you show me some tab or some theory sound like evil ambience ( i think its in dimminish scale)
p/s: im a madman too
Quote by toancigaret
hi Henri ,
thank you so much
do i need play in one Key and scale or just play what i want (dont care any key and scale)
by the way can you show me some tab or some theory sound like evil ambience ( i think its in dimminish scale)
p/s: im a madman too

Cool Dude. The evil ambience is simple C minor/harmonic minor scale (or other minor scales and diminished scales work well too). Listen to some Black Metal to get some ideas for those tremolo evil riffs. Harmonize with thirds or octaves ( there are some awsome lessons about harmonizing in ultimate-guitar.com so look them up)
One thing I think is interesting to add is dissonant chords( i'll try to find some lessons or theory about them and i'll send you the links).
But be creative, create your own sound and make music that YOU like, that is the most important of all.
Listen also to Anaal Nathrakh to get a feel of the evil/brutal sound I was talking about. If you need anything else just say ok? Good Luck and keep on shredding!
Quote by toancigaret
but my song smell like shit
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/5/11/1906314/premonition.mp3
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/5/11/1906314/crocodile.mp3
i need to know the basic structure of a deathmetal song, i dont know there is or not but i hope someone show me a little, i've heard a few hundred deathmetal band in the world
thanks

There is no standart structure to a Death Metal song and in some bands (for example Cannibal Corpse or Gojira) the structure changes from song to song and most of these band's songs don't have choruses so it's not easy to write Death Metal. But here's what you can do: Write a song with a mainstream structure: Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus and mix it up a bit. You can do practically everything. But until you get really good at it try not to have like 20 riffs per song stick to a maximum of 4-5 riffs per song. Hope it helped and good luck.
Forgot to ask but you use a real drummer or is that programmed, if it is can you tell me what is the program you're using cause I wanted to do a Thrash/Black Metal side-project and I can't find any drummer as fast as I need...
You really don't need a super low tuning, lots of great death metal bands use D standard. There really aren't "Standards" per se, as there are death metal bands that do things completely different than the next. Cynic uses clean vocals and has some great melodies and they're still amazing, where as something like Nile is pretty intense all the time. Even Hypocrisy has their own way of doing things. You can have a wide range of speeds for your songs, especially citing Nile as an example. You can go from a slow, brutal, pace like in Execration text or something just as fast as you can like Papyrus or what have you. Look up minor scales and learn some modes. You can also use dissonant notes and things of the sort. Really, just write a memorable "brutal" riff and maybe a cool melody that will fit with it and go from there. You can always harmonize melodies and what not, I've heard Behemoth uses 4ths, but whatever sounds good to you. For techdeath knowing your scales and key, and really just knowing music theory in general will help you. It's whatever you want to do. Blast beats are typical, as is a strong double bass. As for the bass, well, it gets mixed out anyway ;D
Quote by HenriqueAlmeida
Forgot to ask but you use a real drummer or is that programmed, if it is can you tell me what is the program you're using cause I wanted to do a Thrash/Black Metal side-project and I can't find any drummer as fast as I need...

hi henri
thank you for all comments (very good for me)
my drummer is machine (VSTi)
i play alone

did you got this album "Scrambled_Defuncts-Souls_Despising_the_God-2009-GRAVEWISH"
if you did, can you show me some theory of this band, what mode they use. it really cool
good luck
Last edited by toancigaret at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by icaneatcatfood
You really don't need a super low tuning, lots of great death metal bands use D standard. There really aren't "Standards" per se, as there are death metal bands that do things completely different than the next. Cynic uses clean vocals and has some great melodies and they're still amazing, where as something like Nile is pretty intense all the time. Even Hypocrisy has their own way of doing things. You can have a wide range of speeds for your songs, especially citing Nile as an example. You can go from a slow, brutal, pace like in Execration text or something just as fast as you can like Papyrus or what have you. Look up minor scales and learn some modes. You can also use dissonant notes and things of the sort. Really, just write a memorable "brutal" riff and maybe a cool melody that will fit with it and go from there. You can always harmonize melodies and what not, I've heard Behemoth uses 4ths, but whatever sounds good to you. For techdeath knowing your scales and key, and really just knowing music theory in general will help you. It's whatever you want to do. Blast beats are typical, as is a strong double bass. As for the bass, well, it gets mixed out anyway ;D

i'll try my best
keep brutal bro
Tech death is going to probably have a lot of faster, picked chords, moving those chords around in different shapes, move those shapes to a harmony or something. It might make it easier to start playing them with a little thrashier of a feel. Harmonizing is the most tech thing you could ever do, and it sounds awesome. I would like to also nominate 3rds as an awesome place to harmonize. Along with the 3rd of the octave (11th?). Make sure to balance this with some trem-picked riffage to taste, and maybe even break it down to a suffocation-esque riff for a cool bridge. Metal is very open to your crazy stoned ideas
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Tech death is going to probably have a lot of faster, picked chords, moving those chords around in different shapes, move those shapes to a harmony or something. It might make it easier to start playing them with a little thrashier of a feel. Harmonizing is the most tech thing you could ever do, and it sounds awesome. I would like to also nominate 3rds as an awesome place to harmonize. Along with the 3rd of the octave (11th?). Make sure to balance this with some trem-picked riffage to taste, and maybe even break it down to a suffocation-esque riff for a cool bridge. Metal is very open to your crazy stoned ideas

I use that 11th thing on some of my acoustic songs. It adds a classical feel to it but never tried it with distortion.....
Quote by toancigaret
hi henri
thank you for all comments (very good for me)
my drummer is machine (VSTi)
i play alone

did you got this album "Scrambled_Defuncts-Souls_Despising_the_God-2009-GRAVEWISH"
if you did, can you show me some theory of this band, what mode they use. it really cool
good luck

I don't know the band but I will check it. As far as theory I can't really help you because I don't really know much but I will get a friend of mine to check it and help you out ok?
Quote by HenriqueAlmeida
I use that 11th thing on some of my acoustic songs. It adds a classical feel to it but never tried it with distortion.....

Classical feel yeah, but its evil because of the trem picking, gravity blasting, and pinch harmonics.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Lyrically, don't go Cannibal Corpse like. Too cheesy and predictable.
Also, don't go completely Cynic like with all the excess philosophies. Granted they're great, but it gets repetitive.
Keep it interesting, throw some different topics around.

Musically... If it's tech death, be a musical genius.
If it's pure death, listen to Death and Cannibal Corpse. Then play shit on your guitar, write as many riffs as possible, grab 5-6 and put them in a sequence.
A bass-only passage and some pinch harmonics help break the mould.
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
drop c tuning and bang away

Quote by HenriqueAlmeida
I sugest you tune your guitar really low like Drop C or drop every string 2 or 3( if you are as crazy as me)

Whats so crazy about Drop C? I play in Drop A all the time and I've never really thought it was any different to being in a higher tuning.
"Raining Blood" summarizes the general guitar rules for death/black metal:
-Set up atmosphere (so it sounds dark)
-Hit them with a catchy riff (so they don't turn the song off)
-use a progression so fast, it sounds like one note (so people don't tell you you can't play guitar)
-Play a super-catchy breakdown-ish-bridge to cool down
-Hit them with the catchy riff again
-End with wacked out atmosphere (so it sounds insane)

That's a death song for ya
well for death metal your gonna want to find a bassist who can probably play fast or slow and drop tune the sh!t out of it. 5-strings help alot.