Could someone please tell me how to set up my guitar for low tunings? I'm thinking of covering some staind songs. Most songs are in some kind of weird 7 string-ish tuning but for 6 strings (Ab Db Ab Db Gb Bb). I already have the correct strings (obviously heavy gauge" but i don't know what it means to adjust your guitar truss etc etc. Basically i have never tuned below drop c before, and i didn't adjust anything and it sounded fine. could someone explain to me how to get my guitar set up for Ab Db Ab Db Gb Bb by myself and without getting it set up by a pro? I know i should get it done by someone who knows what they're doing but i really just want to get it done by myself. thanks!
just drop it to the correct tunning, if there is massive buzz, you may need to adjust the truss rod and or adjust the action, and possibly inotation, however i have seen problems with leaving guitars in low tunnings for long periods of time, i believe it may case neck damage may be something to look into,

for set up questions i suggest you go Here (setup thread)
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
dont listen to any of these people. what kind of guitar do you have first off? setting up a guitar for down tuning is easy. just have to pay attention to waht youre doing.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
thats a dropped baritone tuning man, youll need your truss rod and action set to do that tuning which would cost about 60-80 dollars at most shops, and if you dont know how to adjust a truss rod dont, if you turn too much or too fast you can snap or twist your neck, honestly i wouldnt drop a regular scale guitar into that tunning id invest in a baritone, if you do for the truss rod portion have a pro do it
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
thats a dropped baritone tuning man, youll need your truss rod and action set to do that tuning which would cost about 60-80 dollars at most shops, and if you dont know how to adjust a truss rod dont, if you turn too much or too fast you can snap or twist your neck, honestly i wouldnt drop a regular scale guitar into that tunning id invest in a baritone, if you do for the truss rod portion have a pro do it

youre obviously not familiar with sunn 0))) they use an open baritone tuning (A) on gibson LPs and other 24 3/4 scale guitars. people really need to stop giving this kid bad info.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by dertjoe

60-80 bucks? i unno who ripped you off but i've had the whole set up done as in..

fret board oiled/polished/new strings/truss rod adjusted/inotation adjusted/pickups adjusted and a w/e else in between. it cost me in between $20-$30 dollars
You're all crazy. Just tune down to it- if it buzzes too much, then try a higher gauge string set. If that doesn't work, /then/ have the truss rod changed by a professional, unless you're feeling lucky.
thanks a lot for the replies. ill just try higher gauge strings and if it gets too buzzy i guess i'll just bring it to a pro, i don't want to ruin my guitar after all
Quote by Gh057
You're all crazy. Just tune down to it- if it buzzes too much, then try a higher gauge string set. If that doesn't work, /then/ have the truss rod changed by a professional, unless you're feeling lucky.

im not crazy i had already said this...
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
i snapped 3 high e's from loosening it......evaluation?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Not really, dosent the guitarist from Stained us a PRS? But you dont need a baritone to tune that low, you just have to compensate with heavy guage strings. Prolly over .12's for decent looseness. But just tune to it, and if you have to adjust your truss rod afterwards then so be it.
Quote by Crohny
youre obviously not familiar with sunn 0))) they use an open baritone tuning (A) on gibson LPs and other 24 3/4 scale guitars. people really need to stop giving this kid bad info.

Nobody has told the kid anything incorrect—getting into drop a with a short scale requires a lot of adjustments and very heavy strings to work. There’s a big difference between professional musicians with years of experience setting up a standard-scale guitar in drop a and a guy doing it based on a few forum posts.
Quote by jpnyc
Nobody has told the kid anything incorrect—getting into drop a with a short scale requires a lot of adjustments and very heavy strings to work. There’s a big difference between professional musicians with years of experience setting up a standard-scale guitar in drop a and a guy doing it based on a few forum posts.

So you just effectively told us any ideas you had would be incorrect too. Awesome.
basically were all trying to tell you what to do but, its best left for you to take it to a professional let them do it the first time and see if they will teach you, that way you will know the best way to do it in the future instead of listening to a bunch of us crazed people on the forum :p
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
Hey guys, i know that this is an EXTREMELY old post, but I just wanted people to know that it seems pretty safe to tune that low, as long as you have thick strings. I tuned it as low as drop G and 'AbDbAbDbGbBb' at times, and there was no excessive buzzing or anything out of the ordinary, except for the fact I tuned my guitar as low as dropped G (Which I think is lower than most baritones). I kept my guitar in a tuning no higher than BEADGB for about 2 months and there is no damage to the truss rod or neck or anything. After those two months, I felt like tuning it back to standard, and got lighter strings and did, and my guitar is now working perfect. My guitar is a low quality one, just a cheap ibanez, and it handled all this. Keep in mind that this is my experience and may be different for anyone else who is crazy enough to tune a regular guitar to drop G (A full step down from drop A), so tune at your own risk!!
I'm tuned to b or a on a lp all the time.
The only problem is the nut since I run a 15-70 set. I had to get my nut filed down so that the string actually fit and enlarge the hole on my bottom few locking tuners.

Other then that as long as you make sure your strings are thick enough you shouldn't have a problem with buzzing since the lower tuning will decrease the tension on the neck which will be counteracted by the tension of the heavier strings.

If you want to do it really scientifically you can actually figure out how much tension is put on your neck by each string in standard tuning with a given gauge. Then you can figure out how much tension is put on by a string of heavier gauge at a lower tuning. If you work out all the math right you can make it so that your guitar has the same tension across the neck in any tuning as E.

Easy stuff. except for the nut. I've got big wide nuts now.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Before you begin tuning, you need to know the pitch of each open string. There are
many different guitar tunings, but we will start with standard guitar tuning
(sometimes referred to as open E tuning) for both the six and twelve string guitar.
Here are the string pitches for standard tuning>>> follow my link
Install big fat strings, tune them way down, adjust your intonation, go. You're unlikely to need to adjust the truss rod, you may need to adjust it to tune back up.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2