My 2010 resolution is to improve all my guitars. I already made a thread for my Fender MIM Strat which is going to be my biggest upgrade. That can be found here. My 4 guitars include:
Fender MIM Olympic White Stratocaster
1980 Dean Black V
Squier Blue Stratocaster
Ibanez Talman black Acoustic

I'm not going to list my improvements for my Fender here because I already made the thread.

For My Dean:
NEW Bridge (Floyd or New Tune-O-Matic?)
NEW Neck (22 Fret Ebony or 22 Fret Maple?)
NEW Pickups (Input Needed for Jimmy Page Sound)

For My Ibanez:
NEW Tuners (Recommend Acoustic Tuners)
NEW Nut (Input Needed)
NEW Acoustic Pickup (Input Needed)

I am not going to improve my Squier because it is just a back guitar and is in good condition. This Thread will become PIC HEAVY when upgrades are being done. Thank You for any input and be sure to check out the other thread for my Fender.
personally i think if ou were gonna upgrade any of em itd deffo be the squier! but hey if you dont want to you dont want to. well as for the dean the general reccomendation is if it doesent have a floyd already, its not worth making the hole to put on in
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
On the Ibanez, a new saddle will do much more than a new nut, tone-wise. But for the both the nut and the saddle, I recommend getting a bone nut. For the pickup, do you want magnetic, or piezo? For the tuners, check out Schaller and Grover (My two favorite).

For the Dean, I would steer away from getting a FR, just as it's a pain. If you really want it to get those metal squeels and whatnot, then by all means go for it. I'd get a Gotoh Floyd Rose, if you do go that route. If not, I'd get a Schaller STM (TOM style). For the neck, the neck wood is much more important than the fretboard. Though for the fretboard, I think either maple with no fret markers, or ebony with some sort of sharkfin. Just make sure the tenon fits the pocket, and it's the same scale length! For the pickups, where are you located?

Good luck!
Last edited by Baby Joel at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by sylphin
personally i think if ou were gonna upgrade any of em itd deffo be the squier! but hey if you dont want to you dont want to. well as for the dean the general reccomendation is if it doesent have a floyd already, its not worth making the hole to put on in

yeah i'll just upgrade the tune-o-matic. thanks

O my this will be a long answer

Quote by Baby Joel
On the Ibanez, a new saddle will do much more than a new nut, tone-wise. But for the both the nut and the saddle, I recommend getting a bone nut. For the pickup, do you want magnetic, or piezo? For the tuners, check out Schaller and Grover (My two favorite).

For the Dean, I would steer away from getting a FR, just as it's a pain. If you really want it to get those metal squeels and whatnot, then by all means go for it. I'd get a Gotoh Floyd Rose, if you do go that route. If not, I'd get a Schaller STM (TOM style). For the neck, the neck wood is much more important than the fretboard. Though for the fretboard, I think either maple with no fret markers, or ebony with some sort of sharkfin. Just make sure the tenon fits the pocket, and it's the same scale length! For the pickups, where are you located?

Good luck!

1. Ok I'll look into the nut and saddle
2. I'm looking for a piezo
3. I'll check out Schaller and Grover
4. Yeah I'm just gonna stick with upgrading the TOM
5. Do you know any good places to find necks.
6. For pickups I'm in the US.

Thanks for the help
just a thought... since you were thinking about a floyd, you could get a kahler instead. they are a double locking tremolo just like floyds, but they only require top routing and many people find them easier to play with. i.e. you can rest your palm on the bridge without moving the bridge up or down.

mighty mite makes some good necks. they require a bit of work, but they're really pretty good. you can find them on ebay fairly easily.

jimmy page has push/pull pots for all of his volume and tone pots. here's a scematic: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jp_style I was just looking at his new signature gibson custom shop guitar, and he has some custom pickups for it. it looks like he has some sort of variation on the gibson burstbucker for the neck position and then a "jimmy page 'number 2' bucker" in the bridge. I'd check gibson's pickups to see if you can get something similar to those. maybe just two burstbuckers.
Quote by Sonic Blast
just a thought... since you were thinking about a floyd, you could get a kahler instead. they are a double locking tremolo just like floyds, but they only require top routing and many people find them easier to play with. i.e. you can rest your palm on the bridge without moving the bridge up or down.

mighty mite makes some good necks. they require a bit of work, but they're really pretty good. you can find them on ebay fairly easily.

jimmy page has push/pull pots for all of his volume and tone pots. here's a scematic: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jp_style I was just looking at his new signature gibson custom shop guitar, and he has some custom pickups for it. it looks like he has some sort of variation on the gibson burstbucker for the neck position and then a "jimmy page 'number 2' bucker" in the bridge. I'd check gibson's pickups to see if you can get something similar to those. maybe just two burstbuckers.

1. Ok I'll look into a kahler, but I'll most likely keep the TOM
2. I'll probably put the push/pulls pots in the v and look at some burstbuckers

thanks
For the vintage Jimmy Page sound, BurstBuckers would be ideal, as that's what he had, although you can look into some boutique makers (TDM comes to mind), also maybe Dimarzio (PAF Joe, PAF 36th Anniversary or similar), or Seymour Duncan (59's or Jazz). Basically for the pickups, anything PAF would work.
For a piezo, I know Fishman (Matrix Infinity maybe) and LR Baggs (Element Active or iBeam) make some great stuff.
For necks, I'm not too sure on. I know Warmoth make brilliant necks, but make sure the tenon fits. If it doesn't, and you really want the neck, you can always fill the pocket (Glue a piece of wood in it), then reshape it to fit the Warmoth dimensions. Other places (I believe) are Mighty Mite, and maybe AllParts.

Again, good luck!
Quote by Baby Joel
For the vintage Jimmy Page sound, BurstBuckers would be ideal, as that's what he had, although you can look into some boutique makers (TDM comes to mind), also maybe Dimarzio (PAF Joe, PAF 36th Anniversary or similar), or Seymour Duncan (59's or Jazz). Basically for the pickups, anything PAF would work.
For a piezo, I know Fishman (Matrix Infinity maybe) and LR Baggs (Element Active or iBeam) make some great stuff.
For necks, I'm not too sure on. I know Warmoth make brilliant necks, but make sure the tenon fits. If it doesn't, and you really want the neck, you can always fill the pocket (Glue a piece of wood in it), then reshape it to fit the Warmoth dimensions. Other places (I believe) are Mighty Mite, and maybe AllParts.

Again, good luck!

Yeah I designed a neck today on Warmoth. I'll have to look at Fishman I know Dimarzio PAF's are good for the tone. i'll compare them to burstbuckers. Also I was wondering what kind of Push/Pull Pots should I buy?
In all actuality just about any 500k pot with a DPDT switch attached will work. I know Bourns make brilliant (but expensive) pots. The other two brands are Alpha and CTS, but I heard that one of them (can't remember which, sorry) has been having some huge quality control issues.
Quote by Baby Joel
In all actuality just about any 500k pot with a DPDT switch attached will work. I know Bourns make brilliant (but expensive) pots. The other two brands are Alpha and CTS, but I heard that one of them (can't remember which, sorry) has been having some huge quality control issues.

ok i just needed to know 500k. I found Dimarzio makes them for a good price.
Ok so my list so far includes:

Talman:
Bone Nut and Saddle (figuring out brand)
Black Chrome Grover Tuners
Fresh Pack of D'Addario EJ18 Heavys

V:
Seymour Duncan '59 Neck Pickup
Dimarzio PAF Pro Bridge
Mighty Mite MM2922 Neck
D'Addario EJ21 Jazz Lights

This is what I have so far.