I've decided that instead of buying a guitar, I'm going to "mix" two guitars. I'm going to use the face of the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra ll, and the pickups and wiring from the Black Beauty (3 pu) pick-ups and wiring. I wanted to know what pick-ups they are and other advice on building it. I have no clue what i'm doing so tips will be helpful. I don't want to use a kit, nor will I, and I need help on the electrical junk, not the wood. Any advice is much appreciated.
Last edited by fg-433s at Jan 4, 2010,
im pretty sure those models use the same pickups...or at least very very similar ones. It isn't worth the time and money.
^agreed.
However, if you happen to take the strings off of them both you could pull out the pickups and check to see if they have serial numbers or model numbers stamped on the backs.
Even so I'm going to try it. By the the way, I think that the LP Ultra 2 Has a Nano-Mag and 2 Humbuckers. I don't know what the Black Beauty has, does anybody on here?
Doesn't Gibson use basically the same pups for all their guitars? There're like the PAFs and then the 490 Ts right?

/gross generalization

Also I would recommend going with some low-moderate output Seymour Duncans in lieu of Gibson pups just so you wont contribute to Herbert Juka-whatever's ravenous monster of a shell of a company.

And upon reading your OP a second time, I'd just like to point out that to route (as in carve wood out of the top of your guitar body) an additional humbucker cavity would be a major pain in the ass for someone who "has no idea what they're doing" and also would be a fairly expensive endeavor if you don't already have the necessary tools.

But then again, it's a relatively inexpensive guitar and if you feel like you really want to do such an extensive first mod on it, then go for it. Just make sure you read up on what you're doing first.
I think that you guys think that I'm going to buy the two guitars and switch the electronics. Well that's not what I'm going to do. I want to buy the pick-ups, and then use wood a already have to make the body, etc. then "make" a guitar. I wouldn't be able to buy the 2 guitars anyway.

If that's what you were thinking that would be a waste of time and money.
Quote by fg-433s
I think that you guys think that I'm going to buy the two guitars and switch the electronics. Well that's not what I'm going to do. I want to buy the pick-ups, and then use wood a already have to make the body, etc. then "make" a guitar. I wouldn't be able to buy the 2 guitars anyway.

If that's what you were thinking that would be a waste of time and money.

Well if you're buying the pickups than you're not going to be using the electronics from the Black Beauty. Unless in the first post when you said "Use the electronics for the Black Beauty" you meant just the pots and jack in which case you might as well leave the ultra electronics in there because they'd be the same. Epiphone guitars are mass produced over seas and all the parts are generally the same to keep costs down. Of course, a few exceptions exist. But since these are both regular Epiphone Les Paul models and not an Elitist or Epihpone Japan then you're better off just keeping the wiring in there or getting completely new wiring. Switching them between the two will not matter.
As for pickups...
A real Gibson would have real Gibson pickups. If you're going to be buying them you've got a lots of companies and models to choose from. It all depends on what sound you're looking for.

EDIT:
Upon re reading your post I understand better what you're saying...
You own the Epi Ultra but want to purchase Black Beauty electronics for it, right?
Ok. Doable. But you might want to think real hard about routing for that middle pickup.
Last edited by inkandlead at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by inkandlead
Well if you're buying the pickups than you're not going to be using the electronics from the Black Beauty. Unless in the first post when you said "Use the electronics for the Black Beauty" you meant just the pots and jack in which case you might as well leave the ultra electronics in there because they'd be the same. Epiphone guitars are mass produced over seas and all the parts are generally the same to keep costs down. Of course, a few exceptions exist. But since these are both regular Epiphone Les Paul models and not an Elitist or Epihpone Japan then you're better off just keeping the wiring in there or getting completely new wiring. Switching them between the two will not matter.
As for pickups...
A real Gibson would have real Gibson pickups. If you're going to be buying them you've got a lots of companies and models to choose from. It all depends on what sound you're looking for.

EDIT:
Upon re reading your post I understand better what you're saying...
You own the Epi Ultra but want to purchase Black Beauty electronics for it, right?
Ok. Doable. But you might want to think real hard about routing for that middle pickup.

I don't have either guitar, I want to build a guitar from wood I cut and carve, then add the same (or similar) electronics from a Black Beauty to put into my project.

What pups are good for playing things like Tom Petty, Mark Knopfler (sound, not good enough to play his music, Guns 'n' Roses, and other music similar to that.
Got it!
I'm personally a big fan of Gibson pickups. The Classic 57 is real good as is the 498. The Burstbuckers never quite did it for me.
If you wanted to go Duncan the JB and the Custom Custom are very popular models. They're site also has sound clips so you can listen and compare as much as you like.

Realistically, it'd be very hard to get those three tones from one guitar since they're technically Ric, Strat, and LP, respectively. But if you get any good humbuckers with coil taps you could get that single coil sound.

Hope this helps.
So let me get this straight, you are basically going to build a les paul standard style guitar w/ 3 humbuckers?

The black beauty wiring is not really consistent, at least if you're talking about how Gibson used to wire the 3 pickup les paul customs back in the '50s, but it was typically a 3 position - neck/middle/middle+bridge out of phase. As a result you lose a lot of the "classic" les paul tones ala Slash, Clapton, Page, etc w/ the 3 pickup setup. I think the 3 pickup les paul customs were cool guitars, but they're not really good as a main guitar if you are after the traditional les paul sounds. One reason why Page always favored his sunburst '59 standard over his black beauty.

The pickups on the Epiphones are typically all just cheap Asian copies of Gibsons. I guess if you want to get close to the vintage Gibson PAFs then you should probably be looking Duncan Seth Lovers or Gibson '57 Classics. They'll run you about $100 each. If you have more to spend, I'd look at Wolfetone Dr. Vintages and Marshallheads or WCR Crossroads which will run you closer to $150 it all depends how much you want to spend. For electronics, I would go with RS guitarworks kits, but that's just me. All together pickups + electronics can probably run about $350-$550 depending on what you decide to buy for pickups.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 6, 2010,
Another question; can you mix two different kinds of pickups?

EDIT: I need to know if you need a guitar bridge or string saddle.
Last edited by fg-433s at Jan 6, 2010,
what do you mean by mix two different kinds of pickups? if you mean whether or not you need to have the same make or model pickup in all positions? then no... but a lot of pickups come in sets that are calibrated to work well together if that's what you're asking? but all bets are off when you add that middle pickup, very few makers make sets for 3 pickup guitars. gibson's original 3 pickup les paul customs just had 3 PAFs which could range from anywhere from 7k to 10k as far as DC resistance goes, and used all sorts of different alnico magnets (though they were usually alnico II, IV or V), which made them pretty variable in nature. So there is really no hard set rule. Generally most people like to have something hotter wound in the bridge to match the neck in output but a lot of folks used underwound bridge pickups and hotter neck pickups (like Dickey Betts and Jimmy Page).

And I don't know what you mean by guitar bridge or string saddle? Les paul bridges have string saddles on them... any bridge has string saddles...
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 6, 2010,
What I meant by mixing two pickups is, that if I could use a (just for example) a tele neck pickup,and two humbuckers.

I didn't know about the bridge.
Quote by fg-433s
What I meant by mixing two pickups is, that if I could use a (just for example) a tele neck pickup,and two humbuckers.

I didn't know about the bridge.

Sure, why not? Lots of people experiment. Theres no rule book when it comes to guitar buildin'
Quote by cormango
Sure, why not? Lots of people experiment. Theres no rule book when it comes to guitar buildin'

Yeah but would it work?
what do you mean by "work"? Does it function? Yes... would it sound good? That depends on WHAT humbucker and WHAT tele neck pickup and what your definition of good is.

I'm more interested in why you want to have a 3 pickup les paul.
I've been thinking about it and, I don't really want a three humbucker pickup lp but one with 2 humbuckers and something like a tele because I love the sound of them.
Last edited by fg-433s at Jan 6, 2010,
I 've a few more questions.

First off, in guitars like Slashes sunburst les paul are there humbuckers? If not I like to know what they are.

Second, what are the best brand of those pups that could be bought together for a total of around 200?

Last was this thread a stupid idea, so i should buy an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra 2?
Quote by fg-433s

First off, in guitars like Slashes sunburst les paul are there humbuckers? If not I like to know what they are.

Second, what are the best brand of those pups that could be bought together for a total of around 200?

Last was this thread a stupid idea, so i should buy an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra 2?

If you've never built something and you want this to be a well playing guitar then yes, buy an Epi. I'd still suggest changing out the pickups though.

You should be able to easily find Gibson or Duncan pickups at a Guitar Center or other store for under $100 each.

Slashes Les Pauls have Humbuckers.
Quote by fg-433s

These are humbuckers:

These are not:

But this is:

So are these:

Usually, anything that doesn't look like the second pic are humbuckers (of course there are exceptions).

Slash's sig. Les Paul models come with these humbuckers, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/aph1_alnico_ii/
Last edited by Schism1985 at Jan 12, 2010,