Page 1 of 5
Are there many bands out there whose sound has undergone drastic changes throughout their careers? Thought of this listening to Dir en Grey, who went from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpscqyWQW_s - First album
to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weD6PzUDfqQ - Latest single.

Not hoping to start arguments about bands selling out, just curious if any other bands sounds have changed this drastically. Anyone?
Between the Buried and Me, to a certain extent.
Jet propulsion disengage.

Quote by Xiaoxi
^I love your username
Avenged Sevenfold
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Between The Buried And Me. Slipknot. My Chemical Romance. Linkin Park. Marilyn Manson. Nine Inch Nails. The Human Abstract. Protest The Hero if you include there first punk album they don't acknowledge anymore.
faster pussycat
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
The Offspring unfortunately
3 first albums were incredible

Voivod used to be a straight up Thrash Band then became Psychadelic Prog Thrash, then like Chill out Hard Rock, then Industrial WTF, back to Hard Rock
Brand new, As Cities Burn, Underoath.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Radiohead. They used to suck.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Napalm Death... loads more, but most of all Frank Zappa. He's changed his sound and experimented with new genres so much I can't think of anyone who even comes close.
Quote by Helicopters!
Thrice

I can't believe how long it took for these guys to get mentioned!
...Devin Townsend? It's not DRASTIC, but he changes with every freakin' album.
Can't think of any others that haven't been posted...
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Death Cab, and The Appleseed Cast.
The former: went from muffled, brilliant indie rock to mainstream, poppy sh*t.
The latter: from guitar-heavy emo (i.e. Sunny Day Real Estate) to beautiful post rock, still guitar heavy but in a different, more Explosions in the Sky-esque way.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
Metallica. Papa Roach. Nine Inch Nails. Mastodon. A7X. All That Remains. Killswitch Engage. Linkin Park. Mudvayne. Slipknot. Three Days Grace. Nearly everything I listened to have changed dramatically over the past few years or albums.. Some not for the best.
I actually really like how Mastodon's style has changed. I think it's for the better.
My band has changed alot. We went from early thrash metal to metal / country metal to metal then to semi-thrash metal again.

All in all, I'm enjoying it.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Avenged Sevenfold have changed a lot. (awesome, imo) Metalcore to Maiden-style metal with expansive influences.

BTBAM used to be deathcore with prog touches, now they're a full fledged progressive juggernaut.

Trivium changed a lot with the Crusade, but I heard they're going to a more Ascendancy-style for the album after Shogun, so it might be a "coming-full-circle" thing.

All I can think off at the moment.
has a terrible signature.
P.O.D.
Korn
Finger Eleven
Mudvayne
Incubus
In Flames
Ill Niño...

There are tons.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by catursly
The Red Hot Chili Peppers

heavy-punk-funk -> punk-funk-rock -> funk-Rock -> Alt-rock -> pop-rock -> soft rock -> latin influenced reggae rock. and more

THIS. no exceptions, no big time band has ever covered more styles
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Metallica. Papa Roach. Nine Inch Nails. Mastodon. A7X. All That Remains. Killswitch Engage. Linkin Park. Mudvayne. Slipknot. Three Days Grace. Nearly everything I listened to have changed dramatically over the past few years or albums.. Some not for the best.
I actually really like how Mastodon's style has changed. I think it's for the better.

Yeah me too.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by chaoticfables
Green Day has drastically changed.

Er what? The only thing that's changed is the lyrical content. All the instrumentation is the same as it ever was.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by Forkman
Er what? The only thing that's changed is the lyrical content. All the instrumentation is the same as it ever was.

The same 4 powerchords, over and over?
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Pink Floyd changed a hell of a lot while they were active.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Page 1 of 5