What does one do when he has a guitar he loves, is happy with his pedal board, and is in love with his amp, but has hated the stock pickups on his guitar since the beginning of time? Change them!

So, I'm running a Les Paul Studio into my tuner pedal, a Dunlop wah, a Digitech flanger, and then into a Peavey XXX 212 combo, so what pickups would best compliment this setup?

My neck pickup is fine, but could be improved, but my main focus is on my bridge pickup, as it always seems a little nasally on the cleans, and can sometimes be way to bright for high-gain lead tones.

I mainly play hard rock and heavy metal such as older Shinedown (Leave a Whisper era), All That Remains, Sick Puppies, a little bit of Evanescence, and some punkier stuff like Rise Against and Rancid.

Budget is about 200-250 total.

Any suggestions?
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
The amp tone I love, and the guitar is fine. But the stock pickups that come with the guitar just don't do it for me. I played my friend's LP studio with Duncans of some kind (can't remember, might have been JB and Jazz), and with my own settings on the amp, it sounded much better. The pups are OK as they are, but I would like something a bit more clear.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Thanks dude. Some of them are a bit more brittle than I remember, but some sound pretty damn good to what I've heard in demos.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
JBs are going to be brighter than the stock pickups in that guitar.... you could always look at something like a Custom Custom (?), I think that's what it is, a hot wound pickup w/ an A2? Never tried one myself, but spec wise, it seems like it would be mellower on the high end (it's essentially switching the A5 in a stock 498t for an A2)

If you just want to replace the bridge and want to use your entire budget for that purpose. Call up Jim Wagner at WCR pickups and get a Goodwood bridge.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 3, 2010,
^sounds good. However, I have no idea what A5 or A2 or any of that mean...
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
i also am not a big fan of the stock pickups in my gibson. they are very hot and have a lot of highs. although i probably wont change the bridge pickup anytime soon since i mainly only use my gibson for playing around at home i was thinking about putting in a duncan jb. jb's seem to be very versatile and will not be as hot or trebly as the stock gibsons. another option other than the JB that might also work is the Custom Five.

go to the seymour duncan website and you can look at the different pickup tones.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jan 3, 2010,
a JB will be both brighter and hotter than the stock bridge pickup if it's the 498t.
Quote by al112987
a JB will be both brighter and hotter than the stock bridge pickup if it's the 498t.

really? hmm ok i don't have any experience in this area so i'll take your word for it. just from my research i thought the JB would be good because it doesn't seem to have a high treble rating and i have heard that the 498t really push the highs.

if you said you played your friends LP with what you think is a JB then maybe you should go with that (you should ask him to be sure of course). as al112987 says perhaps a Custom Custom would work as they are even lower on the treble.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jan 3, 2010,
I'm not exactly sure what it was, I only THINK it was a JB.

But yeah, all those suggestions sound good, thanks everybody
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
So tighter, warmer, not brittle?

Dimarzio Norton.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I was JUST looking at that when you decided to suggest it. A friend of mine just got it, and I was playing around with it and really loved how it responded to my playing.

It's always nice to see good advice from UG's resident seagull.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses