Poll: Shape?
Poll Options
View poll results: Shape?
Flying V
13 30%
Strat-like
30 70%
Voters: 43.
So every guitarist eventually realizes that there are more guitars than just strats.

Now I ask, what do you prefer, on the overall:

FLYING V or STRAT-LIKE (includes LesPaul/Iceman/etc, the guitar you can place on you lap)

And why you prefer it.
Or any other shape?
Im a huge V fan. First time i saw a V i knew guitar was something i wanted to do. I love SG too though. you cant beat the look of a LP either. has that violin look to it. elegant, yet very versatile. same for the sg. it has that bold sinister look to it, yet it still has a great deal of calss and covers all aspects of playing. i can go from playing heavy stoner stuff to nice easy blues tones on a cheap epiphone SG. you cant beat that. my gibson V tough. thats my shred guitar. with a 57 classic plus in the bridge and a gibson p94 in the neck its just a guitar that covers all the bases for me. i can take it from blues to metal to rock mack to metal then back to blues. the neck is fast and thin. just ideal for digging into solos. the ultimate feeling guitar for me is an SG. it being light weight is col, but its just comfortable to play. fret access is good. the neck is very comfortable yet fast. they sustain well when set up right. i dont like gibson as a company, but their guitars are the only guitars that truely feel 100 percent in my hands. plus the tone is the most ideal for me. can put any pick up in a gibson and itll still sound good.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I'm a huge fan of Explorer shapes!
I think they have to be slung really low though to look good!
Quote by jdrier21
an experienced guitarist realizes that Flying-V's are impractical.

obviously youre not experienced. i play classical position with all guitars and the V is always the most stable and easiest to play sitting down due to the fact i can clamp the point of the V with my leg. puts the guitar at the right angle for me to have a good broad view of all frets and what my hands are doing.

might i also add that a V says nothing more than straight metal and rock. many great guitar players have used Vs. they look awesome and a gibson V has great sustain and ease of playing.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by jdrier21
an experienced guitarist realizes that Flying-V's are impractical.

Many of the best guitarists in the world use Flying V's. Mr Hammett for example. He's experienced, right?
Quote by hetfieldaaaah
Many of the best guitarists in the world use Flying V's. Mr Hammett for example. He's experienced, right?

obviously not. he only plays in one of the most well known bands, has some of the most amazing solos ever created. Brent hinds isnt experienced, yet his playing is outstanding and clean. hendrix must be a tool to use one as well.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by hetfieldaaaah

come on now. how many experienced guitarists use Strats? its really all personal preference but I have never played a V that i like better than a Strat
it all depends on the exact shape
I like King Vs but not Rhoads Vs or Flying Vs
I don't like the Gibson Explorer but do like the Ibanez Destroyer

just subtle differences I guess
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by jdrier21
come on now. how many experienced guitarists use Strats? its really all personal preference but I have never played a V that i like better than a Strat

thats you. what amazing albums have you put out? whatever guitar you play, doesnt make the player. like you said, its preference. some people like weird awesome looking guitars. you like to stick to the over used boring shit. like what you like, but dont tell us that an experienced player wouldnt use a V cause obviously you dont pay attention to music at all.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
I think it all comes down to preference; Hendrix used both strats and V's, Randy Rhoads used a V and a Gibson LP and absolutely shredded on both of them...this is the same as many other guitarists
Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
Quote by jdrier21
and he's not experienced?...

He never said "An experienced guitarist knows strats are impractical." Just sayin'. All opinion, anyways! I myself prefer the super strat/SG shape!
Gods I Feel Old.
The opening post and poll is hugely misleading. you're basically asking "do you think straight sides are okay or do you need body contours", but you're going an arse-about-face backwards way of asking it.

Anyway, I find V-shape guitars unpplayable in any position. Then agian I also think lumping in anything with any kind of contouring in together is also supremely stupid, as for example I think Mockingbirds and Explorers are just as unplayable as a Flying V while Jaguars/Jazzmasters, Telecasters and Les Pauls fit my like a natural appendage.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Crohny
thats you. what amazing albums have you put out? whatever guitar you play, doesnt make the player. like you said, its preference. some people like weird awesome looking guitars. you like to stick to the over used boring shit. like what you like, but dont tell us that an experienced player wouldnt use a V cause obviously you dont pay attention to music at all.

I was only referencing the thread creator's quote. He makes it out to sound like Strats are just simple, dull and boring. I beg to differ.
Quote by Crohny
obviously not. he only plays in one of the most well known bands, has some of the most amazing solos ever created. Brent hinds isnt experienced, yet his playing is outstanding and clean. hendrix must be a tool to use one as well.

/feed troll

Guitars:
DBZ Bird of Prey Blood Red
Jose Feliciano Acoustic Guitar Debut Series Natural
Amp:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Pedal:
Peavey Sanpera I
Tuner:
intellitouch PT10 Tuner (Chromatic)
Quote by jdrier21
I was only referencing the thread creator's quote. He makes it out to sound like Strats are just simple, dull and boring. I beg to differ.

thats fine, but its not what you said. you out right said Vs are pretty much for yuppy punks who cant play guitar. it was pretty insulting to me, not cause of the fact that many amazing guitarists use Vs, but for the fact you made it seem like you pretty much have to completely suck at guitar to want one. which i do suck, but thats besides the point! hahaha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
thats fine, but its not what you said. you out right said Vs are pretty much for yuppy punks who cant play guitar. it was pretty insulting to me, not cause of the fact that many amazing guitarists use Vs, but for the fact you made it seem like you pretty much have to completely suck at guitar to want one. which i do suck, but thats besides the point! hahaha

Never mind, apparently nobody has a sense of humor around here. Anyhow I can see that there are too many simple-minded metalheads in this thread who just wanna argue. I am not saying that V's are bad but they are not my preference, I like Strats. Isn't that what this thread is about? since when did it become a thread about which-celebrity-plays-what? According to the poll that's put out Strats are still winning 3-to-1. I'm out.
v's are not entirely impractical, they are balenced as a stand up guitar, and can be held in front of u using the two leg technique. many great guitarist have adapted using only v's (dave mustaine, kerry king ect...). my personal favorite is the explorer shapes, it has the best of both worlds , and has most wood centralized
As everyone said, it is personal preference. I personally like the new DBZ Bird of Prey because it's as menacing as a Flying V, but it has an extra horn to make it easy to play while sitting down.

I think stating WHY you feel a shape is better than another would do the thread much more justice than name calling, but that's just me.
Guitars:
DBZ Bird of Prey Blood Red
Jose Feliciano Acoustic Guitar Debut Series Natural
Amp:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Pedal:
Peavey Sanpera I
Tuner:
intellitouch PT10 Tuner (Chromatic)
Last edited by Biblico at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by jdrier21
Never mind, apparently nobody has a sense of humor around here. Anyhow I can see that there are too many simple-minded metalheads in this thread who just wanna argue. I am not saying that V's are bad but they are not my preference, I like Strats. Isn't that what this thread is about? since when did it become a thread about which-celebrity-plays-what? According to the poll that's put out Strats are still winning 3-to-1. I'm out.

it became about who played what when some tool said that an experianced player knows Vs arent practical. you tell me its a joke, while i tell you what its like to have sex with a real girl.
also calling out whats winning in the poll is a pretty jock move.

Quote by Biblico
As everyone said, it is personal preference. I personally like the new DBZ Bird of Prey because it's as menacing as a Flying V, but it has an extra horn to make it easy to play while sitting down.

I think stating WHY you feel a shape is better than another would do the thread much more justice than name calling, but that's just me.

dead on. people need to explain why they like stuff. i explained why i like Vs and SGs. its always nice to come across someone that uses their guitar in weird ways too. like using your strap to aid in certain ways and shit.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Jan 2, 2010,
STOP FIGHTING!!!

Anyway, I like supersrat body shapes. You need to list more than 2 body shapes if you want a poll.

EDIT: And what of the Parker???
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Sitting down with a V really isnt that bad if you play it more then a couple times at the store.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3