I was reading a guitar-world magazine (i think) and it had an ad for a down-tuning device where you plug your guitar into it, and the device to your amp. The tuner-thng then has the option for you to play in standard, drop d, drop-c, etc., but i think was limited to half-steps down.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've tried using google, but I cant even remember the name, or brand or anything, and was hoping someone here had it.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
the digitech whammy pedal can tune you to d standard. also makes it easier for playing drop C. I doubt there is any pedal that could take you to a drop tuning on its own without turning the pegs.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
There are devices that lower the pitch of your guitar signal, but they don't sound as good as actually downtuning the guitar.

EDIT: You can also do this if you have a 13 pin (guitar synth) pickup
Its impossible for a pedal to make your guitar sound like it has one string dropped in a drop tuning (drop c, drop d, etc). How would it know which string is what note? Ridiculous.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Last edited by JungIe at Jan 2, 2010,
My Digitech GNX3 MFX pedal has a drop function on it, where it can drop you down a step. Doesnt sound as good as actually tuning it, but it sounds fine for just jamming around.
Quote by JungIe
Its impossible for a pedal to make your guitar sound like it has one string dropped in a drop tuning (drop c, drop d, etc). How would it know which string is what note? Ridiculous.

Drop C? Drop D with pitch lowered one full note.
Quote by JungIe

If you have a guitar synth setup like this

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLVG99

You can, but only with that type of pickup
Quote by JungIe

ever tried those fender VG strats? not exactly a pedal, but same kinda idea. does allow you to have a normally tuned guitar sound like it is in drop D. works supprisingly well too...
Maybe the morpheus. Sorry, really bad description.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
personally...i think this morpheus pedal is a joke.

it misleads people into thinking they can leave their guitar in E Standard and detune to any tuning in the book...which they can't.

will it work to go from E standard to other, lower STANDARD tunings...yes. Will it work to go from drop D to other, lower DROPPED tunings...yes. Will it take your guitar from E Standard to Drop C...NO.

taking all of this into effect...the pedal sounds like shit at anything below detuning a whole step. sounds digital and shitty...

works well for detuning a half step...so it has some practical uses. but at this price...is it really worth it? i still like having a different for different tunings
Its just that I really dont want to buy another guitar. I have a schecter in standard, and an electrocoustic set up in drop c. but I really like the acoustic tone. I preferably would want a guitar to stay in drop c.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Dude I watched some videos on this morpheus pedal and looked up reviews from people that have already purchased it. They said you would have to be really picky and also the fact that string size does matter. That string size comment makes a lot of sense that some people might overlook. That was the only real difference people noticed that affected the tone between it and other guitars they already had setup with thicker strings in lower tunings. It sounds like a winner to me and I'm game. Just another tool in the arsenal!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
MORPHEUS DROPTUNE!!! I want one so bad but I don't have the mula.
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

"Stop playing those pussy notes son... Play some MAN CHORDS!"

Ó én sokkal! Én vagyok, hát egy leopárd!

Quote by Supermansdead81
Dude I watched some videos on this morpheus pedal and looked up reviews from people that have already purchased it. They said you would have to be really picky and also the fact that string size does matter. That string size comment makes a lot of sense that some people might overlook. That was the only real difference people noticed that affected the tone between it and other guitars they already had setup with thicker strings in lower tunings. It sounds like a winner to me and I'm game. Just another tool in the arsenal!

String size would matter if you were manually down tuning. The Morpheus digitally alters the pitch of the signal coming from your guitar. Putting heavier gauge strings on your guitar just to try and make it sound better when you use the Morpheus to down tune is pretty stupid, you might as well manually down tune. It sounds a lot better, and using heavier gauge strings without actually changing tuning will make the guitar harder to play and will need to be set up for the new strings.
Quote by jof1029
ever tried those fender VG strats? not exactly a pedal, but same kinda idea. does allow you to have a normally tuned guitar sound like it is in drop D. works supprisingly well too...

accept they sound completely digital. you dont get any nartural tone with it at all.

the morpheus seems like youre best bet TS. it's not going to obviously sound spot on, but if youre playing a gig and youre playing loud it wont be like someone will know. try and find one at a local shop and try it out and see what you think of it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
accept they sound completely digital. you dont get any nartural tone with it at all.

And you do with the Morpheus? The Roland pickup on the VG strat can alter each individual string, not just drop the whole signal down like the Morpheus.
Quote by AWACS
Its just that I really dont want to buy another guitar. I have a schecter in standard, and an electrocoustic set up in drop c. but I really like the acoustic tone. I preferably would want a guitar to stay in drop c.

i look at it this way, having more than one guitar is very costly obviously, BUT you can get a whole range of new tones. that is why i really dont care for a pedal that imitates down tuning. different guitars open up new doors to your tone and playing. it all depends on what you like to play. i mix so many different styles into my playing that having different guitars with different pick up configurations and woods is nice. it amkes my wallet pretty light, but when something runs through my head i have different guitars to choose from to achieve what goes on in my head. just because that works for me doesnt mean it will for you though. just dont settle. you need to realize how you want to sound and what best fits your playing.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by littlephil
And you do with the Morpheus? The Roland pickup on the VG strat can alter each individual string, not just drop the whole signal down like the Morpheus.

no you dont, but i was just saying that that fender is blah pretty much. im not saying its not a cool idea what the fender can do, but i just dont care for it. not till something gets put out that actually sounds good.

i wouldnt use the pedal either. i much rather have the guitar doing all the work and not a pedal to imitate what i really want. you dig?
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Jan 4, 2010,
The Line6 Variax is actually really good at alternate tunings. I dont really like all the modelling stuff, but the tuning part of it is really good.
what about eventide
but it will cost u an arm and a leg
its a bitter sweet symphony this life try to make ends meet your a slave to money then you die
Quote by Crohny
no you dont, but i was just saying that that fender is blah pretty much. im not saying its not a cool idea what the fender can do, but i just dont care for it. not till something gets put out that actually sounds good.

i wouldnt use the pedal either. i much rather have the guitar doing all the work and not a pedal to imitate what i really want. you dig?

the only reason i would recomend the VG strat is that at one point it was actually cheaper than an american strat, and it has the midi pickup. with good software and a midi interface, you can do almost anything you want with that midi pickup.

to be fair the built in sounds on the strat arent fantastic, but they do the job. if you just need a different tuning for a song or two in a live set, its a good option. i would also rather have multiple guitars, but for quick tuning changes in a live setting, i dont think the VG strat is a bad option.

but mostly i was just pointing out that it is possible to do more than just a simple drop tune.
but what about the drop d function in the Ibanez GAX75? Its kinda like a Hipshot (for bass) but its part of the bridge.
Quote by jof1029
the only reason i would recomend the VG strat is that at one point it was actually cheaper than an american strat, and it has the midi pickup. with good software and a midi interface, you can do almost anything you want with that midi pickup.

to be fair the built in sounds on the strat arent fantastic, but they do the job. if you just need a different tuning for a song or two in a live set, its a good option. i would also rather have multiple guitars, but for quick tuning changes in a live setting, i dont think the VG strat is a bad option.

but mostly i was just pointing out that it is possible to do more than just a simple drop tune.

i agree 100 percent. if you do cover stuff then that guitar would be ideal. i wqs just stating my personal thoughts. either would be good for him if he wants to go the route of impostor tuning sounds.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT