I have a standard mexican Jazz bass, and am doing some upgrades to it. what pickups would you recomend i get? (i want passive not active) or is it even worth it to upgrade? thanks a lot guys.
If you like the way the bass looks and plays, I say go for the upgrade. Duncans are always good, and I think EMG has some passives as well. If you wanna splurge, go for some Bartolini pickups.
What about your tone do you actually want to change, if anything? What other equipment do you have?
If you like your tone, but just want a better one of it go for the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups. They're that classic Fender sound, but they'll definitely sound better than the stock pickups in the Standard Jazz. Plus they're noiseless, which in my mind is 100% necessary for a single coil pickup. If you're looking to tweak your tone a little bit Bartolinis have a little bit of a darker smoother tone,but it can be a little bit bland. Nordstrands also have a nice sound, but you pay for them. They kind of sound like a modern version of the Fender sound.
From what I've heard, EMG and MEC pickups are rather sucky. Look at Seymour Duncan, Quarter Pounders for an aggressive tone, vintage pickups for a vintage sound.
The Jazz QP's have never done it for me for some reason...I would probably go with the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless myself.
What about some delano's. I really like them very nice punchy pickups.

Or how about some wizard 84's. Their got a bit more growl to them then the 64's and a bit louder. Their some of my favourite pickups.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Captain Insano
The Jazz QP's have never done it for me for some reason...I would probably go with the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless myself.

I have the SCN pickups in my FSR Fender Jazz. They're good pickups, but they could definitely use more punch.