Hey guys. I wanted to start building, and I need to get a channel selector for my new amp, so I figured why not try building a channel selector.

do any of you have build plans or schematics for one of these footswitches, and any recommendations on how to go about this?
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
well I would need a switch for reverb and one for channel select (sorry should have specified that) and i'm more or less a noob, so sorry if it's a stupid question
thanks for the info guys, do you know of any schematics for the footswitch?
There is no real schematic. You get two switches and stereo cable which will have 3 wires, 2 hots and a ground. You wire the ground to both of the switches, and then you wire one of the other wires to the switches.

Google showed me this.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/peavey%20footswitch%20schematic/Dark_Merlin/footswitch.jpg

Theres not much too it. The only thing I'm not sure is that footswitch uses a momentary switch or a latching switch. I would assume latching as thats the way most footswitches work. I made one for my vox amp with two latching switches, a stereo jack and 10 feet of wire for about 6 bucks. I used an old metal cigarette tin for the box.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I made a foot switch and getting the it to switch from clean to OD channel only requires an Push-on/Push-off switch, not a momentary switch. the cord I used was a two strand cord, much like a lamp cord. not coax or anything like coax. I used a metal electrical box from Lowes and soldered the cord ends to the on/off switch. drilled a hole in the box to fit the switch and it was done. However, I had no luck at all getting it to turn reverb on/off. i tried several things but no luck.
I made a foot switch and getting the it to switch from clean to OD channel only requires an Push-on/Push-off switch, not a momentary switch. the cord I used was a two strand cord, much like a lamp cord. not coax or anything like coax. I used a metal electrical box from Lowes and soldered the cord ends to the on/off switch. drilled a hole in the box to fit the switch and it was done. However, I had no luck at all getting it to turn reverb on/off. i tried several things but no luck.

Gear:
Peavy classic 30
Marshall MG DFX 100
Fender frontman 25
Fender Pro Roc 700
Peavy TNT 100
Fender strat
Fender tele
Peavey Fury
Washburn dreadnaught
Epiphone Dot
OLP axis

Gear:
Peavy classic 30
Marshall MG DFX 100
Fender frontman 25
Fender Pro Roc 700
Ampeg 75 watts
Peavy TNT 100
Park 30
Fender strat
Fender tele
Peavey Fury
Washburn dreadnaught
Epiphone Dot
OLP axis
Quote by GEQ

Thats because you used a two strand cord, not 3. If you would have gotten a stereo jack instead of a normal mono plug and two switches it would work if done according to the diagram above. And those switches are called latching switches.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GEQ
*triple posting*
*gear info in post*
Yikes, man. No need to do that. If you wanna add gear info to a post, just edit the post rather than posting again and again.

Also, give this a read: Important: New Members FAQ
You can put that info in a signature if you want it to be displayed after all your posts.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
thanks for the great info guys! now i just need to round up some parts and I'm all set.
Is there any easy way to add led's to the circuit, or would I have to run them off ov a nine volt battery?
Quote by fenderuser93
thanks for the great info guys! now i just need to round up some parts and I'm all set.
Is there any easy way to add led's to the circuit, or would I have to run them off ov a nine volt battery?
LEDs will be easy, I think. Just put them in series with the switches.

Two issues about that, though.
1 - The Classic 30 uses a -36volt supply for the control circuits.
Since it's a negative supply, the anode of each LED needs to be toward ground and the cathode toward the control line (tip or ring)
2 - The channel select circuit will have about 24 miliamps of current. The reverb circuit about 16 miliamps of current. This might be very bright. You may need to use some resistors in parallel with the LEDs to tame the brightness.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
so on what wire(s) would I have to put the leds?
on the one connected to the ring and the one connected to the tip?
Think you can figure it out from here?

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
thanks a lot ! basically fool proof from there. Would you recommend using a stereo jack and cable, or just connecting directly to a stereo cable?
..Seriously?...You had to ask us that...

Jack...that way you can easily remove the cable, coil it up, and take it some place..Plus, how are you going to solder perfectly directly to a stereo cable?

Before you ask, use a stereo jack, not a mono jack for the stereo cable.

Ignore my rudeness, please. I hope your project goes well.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
well like I said... I'm a NOOB

but all the footswitches I've seen had the wire go directly into the box, so I didn't know what was preferred thanks for the halp and time to order some parts =D
No problem.

If all you need is a stereo jack, perhaps check local electronic stores..such as Radioshack if you're in the US. They'll also have LED's, bezels, a few crappy resistors, basic switches, and a few other odds and ends for very basic projects.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...