I moved recently (from Midland, TX, to New Orleans), and right before I moved I got my Fender American Standard Stratocaster restrung for me at N-Tune (local guitar shop). I haven't had time to really sit down with the guitar until fairly recently, and I've noticed that something strange happens when I bend the strings. See, whenever I bend a string, all the other strings drop in pitch, as if I were using the trem. So for instance if I bent the B string up a full tone, all the other strings will drop 1/8-1/3 tone (or something like that). This obviously causes some problems when playing stuff like:

e----7------
B----10b---
Where the B:10b is supposed to hit the same note as the e:7, but instead the e string is a quarter tone too low, so it just sounds awful.

So here's my question: did the guy at N-Tune screw up when restringing my guitar, or is this something that all Strats with this style bridge have, and I've just never noticed? The strings are still good, so I don't know if I want to have it restrung someplace else, and this thing looks like it'd be a PITA to restring myself. Any thoughts?
Quote by guitaruboy
unless your going in for a complete setup or a mod why would you pay someone else to restring your guitar?

'Cause N-Tune charged like $3+cost of strings. I string all my other guitars myself, just the Fender's bridge+trem setup looks like a pain to work with.
Bending increases tension on the bridge, which makes it pull harder on the springs. It's perfectly normal, but you could try adding another spring to make it stiffer.
that's what happens with a floating 2 point trem. When you bend one string it will pull the bridge slightly up causing the others to drop in pitch.
Ok, so this is normal? Guess I'll have to adjust for that. How would I go about adding another spring, and would that make it more difficult to bend? I play a lot of blues on this guitar, so I bend a lot, but I also play some stuff where I have the whatchamacallit bend up technique... I dunno. Guess I'll have to bend the e string some as well? Or else just use my Peavey for those songs.

Thanks y'all! Glad to know my guitar isn't screwed or something.
Quote by webwarmiller
that's what happens with a floating 2 point trem. When you bend one string it will pull the bridge slightly up causing the others to drop in pitch.

+1
Try putting another spring in the back, it will minimise the effect slightly but it will never go away completely unless you put a block inside but that will take away the whammy ability as well