and can it happen over the summer

music gods i pray to you

in the name of stockhausen
Dregen
-
2,365 IQ
Quote by willT08
i don't have anything up on SC at the moment, snazz doesn't have much either

Oh god them days when your kick ****ed the whole mix, I remember those. Look forward to hearing your thing

I'm having a dreadful day musically. Can get some drums going but then I'm dying trying to come up with music-y stuff

yeah, i have trouble with mixing the lower frequency stuff and keeping things clean. when i program drums i usually avoid subby kicks for that reason. it's been a handicap of mine for awhile and so i decided to spend some time working on it.

and as far as the music stuff goes, if you're making drum beats with MIDI, you could copy the MIDI to another instrument and use a MIDI scale/transpose plugin to bring everything in key (or maybe not, sometimes 'off' notes sound coo), then tweak to taste. i've found it works well when i copy the triggers on faster drums to a piano. if your drum pattern isn't linear then you'll get some counterpoint stuff that sounds like it's being played with two hands.
'Leviathan'
Mako? Mako.
519 IQ
Wow, people are actually posting in here? D:

Just wanted to post my actual profile up for anyone who's keen. I'd love to talk with more producers and, hell, I use Facebook far more than I use UG. https://www.facebook.com/avenir.edm

I've also got a track I'm messing around with at the moment. I'll be heading to Melbourne next week with my mate, $60, my car and my camera to film a video for it! Pretty excited.

Here's a link to a little private preview. Haven't been working on it too long, no vocals, not mixed too well right now, etc. It's pretty shitty at the moment. I wouldn't mind some feedback though, mainly concerning how the elements in the chorus work together. I'm aware the kick is far too heavy which I haven't had time to fix yet, but I'm really not sure I'm happy with the synth layering. Eh.

https://soundcloud.com/itsavenir/early14/s-Dgn2J
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jun 2, 2014,
Dregen
-
2,365 IQ
anyone here master their own stuff?

i need some tips, advice, plugins, articles, resources, anything.
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
meee, but snazzy is better

I learned at uni but if you've got an EQ, Compressor, Imager and Limiter you're set. It's kind of case by case though

my advice would be to find a compressor you like, then get the Waves S1 and L2. Linear phase EQ's only. Be minimal. Reference, reference, reference.
Dregen
-
2,365 IQ
Quote by willT08
meee, but snazzy is better

I learned at uni but if you've got an EQ, Compressor, Imager and Limiter you're set. It's kind of case by case though

my advice would be to find a compressor you like, then get the Waves S1 and L2. Linear phase EQ's only. Be minimal. Reference, reference, reference.

okay, thanks. i think that's my problem- staying minimal. all of my masters turn out shitty and i think it's because i process too much. and the former being because my mix was shit in the first place.

i've never done referencing in mixing or mastering, i think that's another thing i'm doing way wrong. because i use over-ear headphones and i think they boost the mids somewhat; my mixes with them always look like they're 'scooped out' in a spectrum analyzer (1kHz to 3 kHz-ish usually). i want my own sound so i've been stupid about that, need to actually mix well first.

i think i'm gonna get a short arrangement done of my current mix, tonight or tomorrow, and throw it up here. i need honest criticism badly. i think my audio teacher is afraid of putting me down; he has had very few problems with my mix decisions but i don't trust him really, considering his mixes are fucking tight and mine are... bleh
captainsnazz
~
578 IQ
My master chain is super simple

Multiband compressor
Linear phase eq
Adaptive limiter

I use logic's built in plugins too, experimented with some other stuff but I feel like most mastering focused things are just filled with a load of unnecessary fluff (ew ozone) and I prefer functional.

Basically just listen and correct. Solo bands in your compressor but listen to them all together as well.
Some general tips
Don't do it all in one session, come back to it after a couple of days
Don't do big changes, if you're mastering and feel like you need to make eq edits more than a couple of dB, you need to go back to your mix
Although you need to be paying attention to your peak level (limit to -0.1 or whatever), RMS is more important overall. I aim for -12 or so usually.
Resist the temptation to make everything loud and super bassy

In general, mastering is just for subtle finishing touches, and you're not going to be able to get a great master if your mix is shite.

Your objectives are:
Optimise your dynamic range
Optimise your frequency spectrum
Create a consistent sound between songs

Feel free to hmu if you want me to listen to owt

edit: p.s. don't try to master on headphones
Last edited by captainsnazz at Jun 7, 2014,
descara
595 IQ
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I don't think I've ever knocked out a track this quickly. (Warning; I'm way too late to the party.)

That's pretty sweet. Screw being in time for the party.
'Leviathan'
Mako? Mako.
519 IQ
Quote by descara
That's pretty sweet. Screw being in time for the party.

Cheers dude. It's not my greatest piece of music, but it shows how much I'm improving at least.
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by duggyrocks
Will every time I post here you've changed alias This is cool, reminds me of Alex Metrics new stuff. Crazy sub action in the 2nd half. Can you explain whats going on there? As in how you're balancing the kick/sub.

Trying to learn how to trap https://soundcloud.com/robots-cant-dance/ceys-n-crates/s-n6da3 the kick is a total mess!

Aha I know i keep deleting everything thinking i won't use it until i've done a load of tunes and i've got releases coming and then i'll make one but then i wanna show someone something and come up with a new name whilst i'm at it

I think the sub and the top bass are actually just the bottom layer of the kick that i've played with on separate tracks. Pretty sure of it although that top bass sounds like a synth, think I made it using some Uhbik plugins that **** things up completely. so the sub just slots in with the kick, bit of sidechain and it's pretty even

yeah your kick really doesn't fancy itself much, lead is spot on for the style though. Bigger kick and all the lovely whooshes and sparkly hi hats and you're there
'Leviathan'
Mako? Mako.
519 IQ
Aha thanks man. I won't deny being a little influenced after hearing Sad Machine. ;D
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jul 8, 2014,
guitarnoob_100
Gods Gift to Guitarnoobs
290 IQ
I'm loving Rockets! I've always been a melody guy, it shows in my productions too.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
stratkat
IWTCIRD
3,672 IQ
Got a pair of ATH-M50x's,

I feel like I haven't really heard music until this day.

I'll probably still be unproductive music wise for a few months, but I'll be pretty set to master.
'Leviathan'
Mako? Mako.
519 IQ
Quote by guitarnoob_100
I'm loving Rockets! I've always been a melody guy, it shows in my productions too.

Thanks dude. I wouldn't say it's the kind of direction I want to go with my music, but it's quite cathartic to make 'beautiful' electronic music. I'm still mainly an electropop/pop guy though.
caeser1156
Fresh Prince of Borneo
479 IQ
If anyone's interested in progressive house I played a 2 hour set at a party earlier tonight and recorded the mix. There's some transitions that are a little rough, but I was mixing on the fly so I'm pretty happy with it overall.

http://www.mixcloud.com/crogers124/august-nights/

Tracklist for anyone interested:
-----------------------------------------
Jeremy Olander - Blabla
Pryda - Power Drive
Eekkoo - Function
Deadmau5 - I Said (Michael Woods Remix)
Eekkoo - Kodes
Roger Martinez - My World (SQL Remix)
Moonbeam - Daydream
Jeremy Olander - Bandersnatch
Fehrplay - Everywhere You Go
Sebastian Weikum - Shout!
Suspect 44 - Japanese Schoolgirls (PROFF Remix)
Eekkoo - Grindin'
Cirez D - Mokba
Mendoza - Love Druggie (Jeremy Olander Remix)
Deadmau5 - Raise Your Weapon (Michael Cassette Remix)
Michael Woods - Dynamik
V I F - Point of View
Hernan Cattaneo & Soundexile - Japanese Snowbell (Guy J Remix)
Way Out West - Future Perfect (Henry Saiz Remix)
Moonbeam - The Raven
Deadmau5 - Arguru
Pryda - The End
Answer42 - Tucano
Inpetto - IPOS
Criminal Vibes - Caribe (Matteo Marini Remix)
London Grammar - Hey Now (Arty Remix)
Haji & Sheldon - Inception
Dinka - Here I Am
Noel Sanger - One More Time (Solarity Vocal Mix)
Shingo Nakamura & Kazusa - Move On (EcueD Remix)
Calvin Harris - I'm Not Alone (Deadmau5 Remix)
George Acosta - Beautiful
Kobana & Mario Hatchet - Play
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
guitarnoob_100
Gods Gift to Guitarnoobs
290 IQ
Hello again guys!
I just posted a progressive-ish trance (With minimalistic influences). on Soundcloud. Do me a favour and give it a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/zigau/initium-novum

Give me some feedback! What do you like, what don't you like?

I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
SteveHouse
trys hard, loves the game
798 IQ
HEY IS THE ARTIST ON UGE 3 KNOWN AS KTFM AROUND STILL? i has question to ask you.

i will listen to that set later caeser. looks like it will be a little too main for my tastes but that doesn't mean it won't be sick as hell.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
921 IQ
Quote by SteveHouse
HEY IS THE ARTIST ON UGE 3 KNOWN AS KTFM AROUND STILL? i has question to ask you.

i will listen to that set later caeser. looks like it will be a little too main for my tastes but that doesn't mean it won't be sick as hell.

ktfm is his UG username, he's around try messaging him
Dregen
-
2,365 IQ
okay

i'm gonna be honest, i've been lazy. i said like 3 months ago that i would drop something here and i didn't because i ended up freaking out on my mix

so sometime soon i might post something... but, to forewarn, it gets/is incredibly distorted and i'm not sure that people here would like the content. let alone the mix itself. also i have a terrible habit of overcompression, and when i have my drums in 1 bit (i never use bitcrush that heavy so i wanted to experiment) on a parallel bus pretty much all my dynamics are squeezed/noised out. so i have to take extra care to blend/gate/compress/eq well and keep them in check. thing is, i'm not sure if they are

i want to post it, or anything really that can measure up to the stuff posted here, but i get nervous about it
Last edited by Dregen at Oct 22, 2014,
'Leviathan'
Mako? Mako.
519 IQ
Just finished a track for my side project, Tokyo Love Hotel. First time trying complextro and I think I've fallen in love with jazz chords (although, not knowing any music theory, I don't know exactly what chords they are but they sound nice haha.)

Would really appreciate some feedback. :3
https://soundcloud.com/tokyolovehotel/th-freefall/comment-207239403
xaviergray
dubout
192 IQ
Hey guys!

I'm not sure any of you remember me, but I helped organize the first one of the UG electronic albums back in 2009 or so (back when I was around 16), and witnessed the birth of UG's own little electronic music production and feedback scene, including this thread. Now, over five years later, I'm currently procrastinating while I should be studying for finals/getting tracks ready for a set on Saturday, and thought I'd see what's going on in the Pit, as I sorta dropped off the face of the earth as far as UG goes - I haven't signed on in aaaaages.

Just wanted to say how awesome it feels to see that this thread is now 12,000 replies strong, and still relatively active for an almost five year old thread! It's absolutely amazing how the Internet can bring together like-minded individuals in the most unexpected places and foster such an excellent community keep it up, guys and gals!

I'm still making electronic music here and there when I find the time - feel free to PM me if you want to hear some, or share any tracks with me. I help run a promotional/hype-machine-like account on SoundCloud, and we're always looking to repost quality underground tracks!

Oh, and ^Leviathan, I'm loving the vibe of the track you posted! Really well produced as well. I reposted it on the aforementioned account
Last edited by xaviergray at Nov 27, 2014,
'Leviathan'
Mako? Mako.
519 IQ
Quote by xaviergray
Oh, and ^Leviathan, I'm loving the vibe of the track you posted! Really well produced as well. I reposted it on the aforementioned account

Much appreciated, bro! Glad you liked it.