Page 2 of 318
Quote by boreamor
Thanks mate. Captaincrunk told me about Analogue Warfare which is pretty good; I quite like it. But I would also like a synth that has a sort of "rave" sound if you know what I mean?

Dunno what you mean by "rave" sound, but Analog Warfare is indeed very good. Also try Alieno (I think that's what it's called), it's very versatile (If I'm thinking of the right one). Eeerm, try Acidrack as well, and DSK Kaos.
🙈 🙉 🙊
SH: Have you considered just using audio? If not the one I reccomend is Sr-202 which im pretty sure has a mac version.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by boreamor
Thanks mate. Captaincrunk told me about Analogue Warfare which is pretty good; I quite like it. But I would also like a synth that has a sort of "rave" sound if you know what I mean?

Try something called the double six
Quote by boreamor
Hey guys. I've done Music Technology at A Level for 2 years now, so I have a pretty decent understanding of the basics of Electronic Music. I have used Reason and Logic Pro to do this in my course. At home, I have just got a REAPER and I'm wondering if anyone else uses this? I'm finding it pretty difficult to start off with.

Also, can anyone link me to good freeware VSTi's? I really need a good synth and drum machine.

Thanks!

(Also, on my profile my "space compostion" is the best MIDI track I've created. It's supposed to be a piece of music that represents an adventure in space.)

I use Reaper, I only converted to it about a month ago but I got used to it pretty quickly and I think I'm in the swing of things, if you want to ask anything feel free and I can try and answer.

Also, a good synth is loads of good synths here http://www.kvraudio.com/ratings/9.html

I can vouch for one called Rez, Triangle, Iblit, Synth 1, I have a few of that list.

Also about the rave sound you speak of, you could post some examples?
Quote by blues_to_thrash
SH: Have you considered just using audio? If not the one I reccomend is Sr-202 which im pretty sure has a mac version.

*Google*

VST only For now, assume I need AUs, though I may have Cubase on my PC soon.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by captaincrunk
What filesharing programs would accept 550 mb? i guess i could just remove the VST's...

Yeah, I can get them myself after all.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I finished a song called snodayrave not long ago, it's on my pro...

I use fl 8 xxl, mostly for dance, styrus, and osx3.
Last edited by stratkat at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by SteveHouse
Yeah, I can get them myself after all.

Get on meebos! you must learn to catch the fly, not squish it.

I'm uploading now, i'll email u the link then. Email me back when u got it downloaded if i'm not here, and then i'll take it down.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by stratkat
I finished a song called snodayrave not long ago, it's on my pro...
I use fl 8 xxl, mostly for dance, styrus, and osx3.

I liked SugarOverDose better, it's much more upbeat. But that's just me talk'n.
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
Quote by stratkat
^^
thanks for listening and taking the time to comment:]

I've noticed you use the same synth for the chords as u did in midnight rave. Be careful with that, I haven't heard enough of your stuff to say anything but it might be a problem.
just for the hell of it, I was wondering if anyone would care to look at the crap on my profile, since I can never seem to get crits from electronic music people over in R&R pretty much everything on my profile would count as electronic, either ambient industrial or avante-garde and generally a mixture)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by stratkat
^^
thanks for listening and taking the time to comment:]

Anything
Take at look at my stuff if you want, I'm open for critiques.
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
just for the hell of it, I was wondering if anyone would care to look at the crap on my profile, since I can never seem to get crits from electronic music people over in R&R pretty much everything on my profile would count as electronic, either ambient industrial or avante-garde and generally a mixture)

Absolutely not my style at all. But it sounds, on a whole, decently made, at least. (This is very similar to what my feedback on you as a submission would have been. Those who've seen my posts can vouch for that.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by boreamor

I'm guessing you mean the Hoover sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8VY5dxq5CU

As far as I understand, it was originally on the Roland Alpha Juno-2 synth, with 3 oscillators set on separate octaves, all on saw waves and slightly detuned, with a buttload of chorus and usually lots of reverb and delay. So basically any 3-osc synth with saw waveforms will get you something like it, along with effects.
Quote by xaviergray
I'm guessing you mean the Hoover sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8VY5dxq5CU

As far as I understand, it was originally on the Roland Alpha Juno-2 synth, with 3 oscillators set on separate octaves, all on saw waves and slightly detuned, with a buttload of chorus and usually lots of reverb and delay. So basically any 3-osc synth with saw waveforms will get you something like it, along with effects.

Ah that's great! Thanks mate!
Quote by boreamor
Ah that's great! Thanks mate!

To give specific recommendations, I would say check out reFX Vanguard and Rob Papen Predator.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by Novacane...
I should have something for a drum n bass album, if it materializes.

Cool. I certainly hope one does. UG's DnB has impressed me ceaselessly from the first Album on.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Thanks for your help so far everyone

Now I haven't downloaded any drum machine yet, I need advice with that atm. What I really need is not a drum looper, but like MIDI patches so I can draw what notes I want in i.e. via a piano roll. Can anyone help me with this? I assume I'll need a sampler of some sort...
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

I'll listen to 3 since you've given help in this thread with nothing in return yet!

Running Hard (Working Title) - Is the synth saying, Get back, get back, get back, get off of me????? If so, the title should be "**** Off" ! I liked it, but it could do with some cleaning, probably just a genre thing.

Pain - This made me feel similar to how I feel with Dark Ambient music. The lack of a meter and stuff kinda hurts this genre sometimes. I understand it can't be helped though. But it seems so far your music would best fit in a Dark Ambient album, even if it's not that Dark, or Ambient.

In the Fire - Right away came out with what was clearly a riff/beat or melody, and then swallowed it all up. I liked it the most out of what I listened to though. The sounds were the most separated in this track. You might try to do that for the others too. The percussion was closer to being out in the open, and held the song together in a way the others weren't. Are those your own vocals? They could be better, it seems during the part where you said fire a few times in a crescendo was slightly out of your range, which made the whole thing seem like a UG'er did it when the rest was clearly an artist, not a kid. This whole track (minus that one short part) felt that way for me.

EDIT:
Quote by boreamor

Now I haven't downloaded any drum machine yet, I need advice with that atm. What I really need is not a drum looper, but like MIDI patches so I can draw what notes I want in i.e. via a piano roll. Can anyone help me with this? I assume I'll need a sampler of some sort...

Dr fusion is your friend. It uses the piano roll, not loops.
*stickies*

i'd like to contribute but i have no idea if my stuff is any good. i've got like 10 songs on my profile, and i'd greatly appreciate an expert's analysis.

Quote by boreamor

You can write in TuxGuitar and export MIDI.

mental: I will give you some feedback in approx. 3.5 hours. Especially if you remind me.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by J ! N
G.a.y

R.e.p.o.r.t.e.d.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
R.e.p.o.r.t.e.d.

brown nose

its a club in soho london if you did not know hence the dots between the letters if i wouldnt have entered this thread if i didnt like the music
Last edited by J ! N at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by SteveHouse
You can write in TuxGuitar and export MIDI.

mental: I will give you some feedback in approx. 3.5 hours. Especially if you remind me.

sweet!

any critiquing by anyone is welcome. i want to contribute, but i don't want to put any (more) crap out there.
Quote by mental_zer0
*stickies*

i'd like to contribute but i have no idea if my stuff is any good. i've got like 10 songs on my profile, and i'd greatly appreciate an expert's analysis.

VLET Dough would be very welcome on an ambient album I would think.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by J ! N
brown nose

its a club in soho london if you did not know hence the dots between the letters if i wouldnt have entered this thread if i didnt like the music

How would 80% of us know you weren't just calling the thread gay? Think before you post.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by J ! N
noooo

i will say whats on my mind thank you very much now leave me alone you peasant

Please, if you have nothing to contribute, the exit is that way.
🙈 🙉 🙊
To return to topic: Any potential artists, please start considering pseudonyms for yourself outside of UG, if your user name isn't what you'd call a good one.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Moving on from crude ASCII art, SteveHouse, did you find a decent drum plugin in the end?
🙈 🙉 🙊
Im considering names atm cos Im thinking of setting up a myspace and such for this next batch of songs im working on.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by captaincrunk

In the Fire - Right away came out with what was clearly a riff/beat or melody, and then swallowed it all up. I liked it the most out of what I listened to though. The sounds were the most separated in this track. You might try to do that for the others too. The percussion was closer to being out in the open, and held the song together in a way the others weren't. Are those your own vocals? They could be better, it seems during the part where you said fire a few times in a crescendo was slightly out of your range, which made the whole thing seem like a UG'er did it when the rest was clearly an artist, not a kid. This whole track (minus that one short part) felt that way for me.

I need to fix the vocals on that, that problem that you are talking about is more a result of me playing the vocoder too high and not singing high enough for it to work properly.

Last.fm