Page 5 of 318
Quote by DirtyMakik
well, you can always go with used synths, I got 2 vintage FM synths for about $150, the monolithic DX7 and the rackmount TX81z, and for those who think software FM is better than hardware FM, you ain't heard nothing yet, or you go for kits, I'm currently building an heavily modded PAiA FatMan synth, very cheap for *real* analog.

well generally speaking, software FM is a hell of a lot easier to write patches for, beyond that it really depends on whether or not the hardware uses things like analog filters and whatnot to warm up the sound because otherwise it's all digital either way.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well generally speaking, software FM is a hell of a lot easier to write patches for, beyond that it really depends on whether or not the hardware uses things like analog filters and whatnot to warm up the sound because otherwise it's all digital either way.

it's not *that* hard to make patches for the DX series, I mean, I can, even though it's less intuitive than soft, it's really simple.

and as an owner of both hardware and software FM synths (Sytrus which can emulate both the DX7 and the TX81z), there will always be something missing in the software sound, I guess it's the D/As but the hardware almost sounds alive. and I had my two synths cheaper (DX/TX=cheap) than what FLS8 should've cost me.

(DX7 - think E.Bass1, Fulltines, TubBells (the best damn tubular bells sound I've ever heard), Wurlis, organs, etc. TX81z - think LatelyBass, PercOrgan, great Marimbas, etc.)

Those patches definately lose something when transfered to software, just like analog loses something when transfered to software.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by FollowtheReaper
I have two dark ambient songs uploaded. Feedback is welcome.

That was kinda scary. Not my type of music, but it seemed to flow well. Was the fuzziness intentional? The entire thing felt like a kind of gothic ambient movie music.
Quote by Cat Of Pain
^Very, very, very well done sir. You truly win.

C.

The C is what makes this post.
Quote by DirtyMakik
it's not *that* hard to make patches for the DX series, I mean, I can, even though it's less intuitive than soft, it's really simple.

and as an owner of both hardware and software FM synths (Sytrus which can emulate both the DX7 and the TX81z), there will always be something missing in the software sound, I guess it's the D/As but the hardware almost sounds alive. and I had my two synths cheaper (DX/TX=cheap) than what FLS8 should've cost me.

(DX7 - think E.Bass1, Fulltines, TubBells (the best damn tubular bells sound I've ever heard), Wurlis, organs, etc. TX81z - think LatelyBass, PercOrgan, great Marimbas, etc.)

Those patches definately lose something when transfered to software, just like analog loses something when transfered to software.

considering that both of the synths are effectively software, I'm really not seeing this, especially with older stuff like the DX7 (of which Native Instruments sells a damn near perfect software copy of and can even read the old DX7 patches.)

Also writing patches on the DX7 (and most other older FM synths) is really really tedious.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
considering that both of the synths are effectively software, I'm really not seeing this, especially with older stuff like the DX7 (of which Native Instruments sells a damn near perfect software copy of and can even read the old DX7 patches.)

But, the DX has:
1. a dedicaced FM chip
2. dedicaced D/As and OPAMPs

Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Also writing patches on the DX7 (and most other older FM synths) is really really tedious.

I made more than a dozen patches on my DX, really, people are exagerating.

I think I'll make a comparision of the DX7 and Sytrus with the same patch.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by FollowtheReaper
I have two dark ambient songs uploaded. Feedback is welcome.

Those are great. We want to start compiling an ambient album, care to submit anything?
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by uk.mace
Great work on getting a front page article guys, it's kicked up some nice controversy in those absent-minded fools who've never branched into the electronic side of music. Great to see the majority defending it and praising the work that went into this too.
I'm gonna have to look into those VSTi's you guys posted too. I want to make "real" electro rather than just heavily effected guitar sounds.

I'm impressed with your guitar sounds then

We more than tripled the number of downloads in the 8 or so hours it's been on the front page than we had in the week prior!

I'm not quite ready to tell you how many downloads there were, because I don't want to give someone old news!
Holy downloads... Nah, I say wait til my article is off the front page.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by eliterun
Uploaded a song into my profile, waiting until I can record some vocals, could be described as "dance". Most willing to contribute something to the next electro record.

I liked it, but that reeverb lead at 0:42 is much louder than the other sounds and doesn't sit very well with the song. I am awaiting vocals, they could add something nice to this track.
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
i submitted a track i had on the soundcloud site in the UGE group hope u guys get it:
Thonydef-Dance Under The Big Moonlight
Hm. Looks like we need to get on some reviews if you guys are already submitting... I think those most recent two make five. eliterun, I'll edit this with a crit shortly.

The player died at 1.21 and wouldn't restart, but, two things.
1. Are you using GarageBand? Some of the synths here remind me of the stock presets in GB. You're usually better off changing those up to suit your purposes.

2. That was the bounciest thing called "Scarred" I've ever heard.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Jan 12, 2010,
Quote by SteveHouse
Hm. Looks like we need to get on some reviews if you guys are already submitting... I think those most recent two make five. eliterun, I'll edit this with a crit shortly.

The player died at 1.21 and wouldn't restart, but, two things.
1. Are you using GarageBand? Some of the synths here remind me of the stock presets in GB. You're usually better off changing those up to suit your purposes.

2. That was the bounciest thing called "Scarred" I've ever heard.

Stock presets from the Reason Soundbank and/or some refills I downloaded. lol, it's titled that way for lack of a better name/lyrics.
Quote by Cat Of Pain
^Very, very, very well done sir. You truly win.

C.

The C is what makes this post.
All right, guys, make sure when you submit we know who you are here. Three out of four succeeded. Those four are Kid Thorazine, chocolateTeddy, and xaviergray. Who's the other from?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

How electronic do submissions need to be? My band does a lot of programing, but isn't exactly a full-on electronic project.
My signature is stupid.
Quote by DirtyMakik

The DX series definitely has this recognizable sound to it, I can tell a DX synth upon listening like I can tell a 303. I'm quite a fan of the DX21. But in terms of the quality of hardware vs. software, it's purely an aesthetic and subjective thing. The DX synths were digital, and software synths are digital. The analogue > digital argument holds more water but I'm personally not convinced of that either. I agree that there's just something about the old 80s fm synths though
Is there a general Electronic Music thread or is this it? Coz I really wanna get into producing electronic stuff, but I dont really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated guys (or girls). Currently downloading both UG electronic albums, can't wait.
Quote by dispreferred
Is there a general Electronic Music thread or is this it? Coz I really wanna get into producing electronic stuff, but I dont really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated guys (or girls). Currently downloading both UG electronic albums, can't wait.

I do believe we need an actual synth thread. Y'know, to talk about synths and DAWs and sh!t.

Well, let's go, then!
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Jan 12, 2010,
Quote by dispreferred

well for starters you probably want a MIDI sequencer that can handle VST plugins, Reaper is a good choice that has an unlimited demo and the license is only $30, CaptainCrunk has posted several free VSTis here. Another good DAW more geared for electronic stuff is EnergyXT which is fairly cheap and there's usually a free version with issues of Computer Music magazine.

Last.fm
Quote by entity0009
Those are great. We want to start compiling an ambient album, care to submit anything?

I'd love to. I can contribute those songs, or I also have a few more finished songs I could upload.

And to eliterun, thanks for the feedback. Yes, the fuzziness was intentional, I felt it added to the atmosphere.
Quote by dispreferred

Actually, the hope was this thread was to be used to learn how to do the music. We've been helping people in this thread too It also keeps it bumped

<.<

>.>
Okay guys, I upped this song to my profile but that version suuuuucks.

New version is much more betterness Slimer!
Last edited by katphish at Jan 13, 2010,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well for starters you probably want a MIDI sequencer that can handle VST plugins, Reaper is a good choice that has an unlimited demo and the license is only $30, CaptainCrunk has posted several free VSTis here. Another good DAW more geared for electronic stuff is EnergyXT which is fairly cheap and there's usually a free version with issues of Computer Music magazine.

Wise words here, anyone looking to start out producing in europe I'd say get a copy of that magazine.

EDIT: Whats going on for the selection process now, using the soundcloud submission box i take it, who has acces to that?
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by SteveHouse
All right, guys, make sure when you submit we know who you are here. Three out of four succeeded. Those four are Kid Thorazine, chocolateTeddy, and xaviergray. Who's the other from?

I submitted a track called Super Disco Breakin' dont think I remembvered to say it was from UG. Did it get there?
Quote by blues_to_thrash
Wise words here, anyone looking to start out producing in europe I'd say get a copy of that magazine.

EDIT: Whats going on for the selection process now, using the soundcloud submission box i take it, who has acces to that?

Me and anyone I add as a moderator. But we're going to make private playlists for the group, and we can get detailed feedback and ratings from that, while keeping this in the fold. It also helps users who are shy, and want to know if their music is good without being called an idiot.

EDIT: Who is scoob666? That track was everything I love about music. Was that a sample or your own voice?

Also, to sam.i.am, we have no track from you. I might have deleted it thinking it was some random soundcloud joe. We get a few of those, maybe once a week. Which is part of why we need the info!

EDIT2: I'll also say that the submissions that I already have via email are safe, don't fret. I'll add them to the dropbox when the time comes.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jan 13, 2010,
Quote by captaincrunk

Also, to sam.i.am, we have no track from you. I might have deleted it thinking it was some random soundcloud joe. We get a few of those, maybe once a week. Which is part of why we need the info!

I will try again then.... look out for it!
so when are we going to start seeing submissions posted in the soundcloud group? If you need help reviewing them for quality or whatever I'd be glad to help out.

ETA: I was also thinking, it might be a good idea to instead of doing an Ambient/Dark Ambient album to do an IDM/Ambient album and also a Dark Ambient/Darkwave/EBM/Industrial album as that would be a bit more stylistically cohesive, plus since Industrial tends do do more blending of electronic stuff with "real instruments" it might be a bit more inclusive and more people might be more comfortable with submitting stuff.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 13, 2010,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
so when are we going to start seeing submissions posted in the soundcloud group? If you need help reviewing them for quality or whatever I'd be glad to help out.

ETA: I was also thinking, it might be a good idea to instead of doing an Ambient/Dark Ambient album to do an IDM/Ambient album and also a Dark Ambient/Darkwave/EBM/Industrial album as that would be a bit more stylistically cohesive, plus since Industrial tends do do more blending of electronic stuff with "real instruments" it might be a bit more inclusive and more people might be more comfortable with submitting stuff.

I like this idea as well.

We haven't started reviewing tracks yet because it's pretty early, but I do agree that we need to get going on it. As soon as Crunk gets the submissions posted to the group, we can start delivering feedback and then accepting/not. Sit tight

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

As of now we've only got about 8, plus some leftovers that weren't on the last album or were submitted before the release but after the tracks were selected, as well as a couple quality tracks that were withheld due to the fact that the artist had too many tracks on the album.

That there is what we call a run on sentence. Basically we won't have tracks up for at least a week unless we see a big influx of submissions.

In regards to the IDM/Ambient, that's a smart idea, and I could see it working well, but it might be more difficult to find enough submissions to fill up an entire "dark" album. I'd rather we didn't release albums with less than 15 tracks, but we could release albums that are 5-6 songs if they were exceptionally long.

Also, there is a synth help thread, but I'll keep supporting this thread in regards to making music as well. I encourage users to use both threads, as part of a plan to keep this thread bumped often enough that it's still noticed.

EDIT: Also I love you guys, and your honest efforts to create music with neither fame nor money promised to you. If things continue to build steam in the way we've seen, we'll all be rewarded
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jan 14, 2010,
well, I kinda figured for the "dark" album we could try to get some more industrial rock/metal type stuff that might open it up a bit since it can give some people more of a chance to do stuff with guitars and whatnot, and also I guess you could solicit longer songs form the people that have expressed interest in doing dark ambient, hell I have a 15 minute long piece I've sort of been sitting on that I could finish and submit.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well, I kinda figured for the "dark" album we could try to get some more industrial rock/metal type stuff that might open it up a bit since it can give some people more of a chance to do stuff with guitars and whatnot, and also I guess you could solicit longer songs form the people that have expressed interest in doing dark ambient, hell I have a 15 minute long piece I've sort of been sitting on that I could finish and submit.

Do you not sleep either? lol
Quote by captaincrunk
Do you not sleep either? lol

I have an easy work at home job that pays the bill with two hours a day of work, tops. plenty of time to work on music.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 14, 2010,
Hey guys, just uploaded a new song on my profile. It's called "The Bloop - Dark Ambient". It's in a Dark/Noise Ambient style. And before you ask, the slight distortion is on purpose.
Quote by boreamor
Hey guys, just uploaded a new song on my profile. It's called "The Bloop - Dark Ambient". It's in a Dark/Noise Ambient style. And before you ask, the slight distortion is on purpose.

I like it, but it's very short considering it's an ambient track. Maybe extend it a bit?
Some rev/delay on that first bloop sound would be nice, make it flow into the main body a bit more.

Also, the cymbal crashes (?) are a bit too loud in the mix, try and bring them down very slightly, and maybe get some more thump in the "beat" before every crash, it would make a nice ominous effect. Also, pan the cymbal more to the right? The thumps are very left heavy, so the cymbal would sound better hard right IMO.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Jan 14, 2010,
Quote by entity0009
I like it, but it's very short considering it's an ambient track. Maybe extend it a bit?
Some rev/delay on that first bloop sound would be nice, make it flow into the main body a bit more.

Also, the cymbal crashes (?) are a bit too loud in the mix, try and bring them down very slightly, and maybe get some more thump in the "beat" before every crash, it would make a nice ominous effect.

Yeah I couldn't really be bothered to extend it further because I didn't know if what I was doing was right, if you get what I mean.

Thanks for the ideas I'll give them a go!
Quote by boreamor
Yeah I couldn't really be bothered to extend it further because I didn't know if what I was doing was right, if you get what I mean.

Thanks for the ideas I'll give them a go!

Haha, "right" is very blurred, especially in the whole ambient genre. It's very good though, made my spine tingle, which is always a good sign . If you extend this it would be a definite contender for the album.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I like it. I think the crashes are a good level in the mix personally, but I'm using cheap headphones and laptop speakers so my judgement could be off.

I reckon you should have a mess around with a harmonic enhancer on it, you really emphasise the harmonic range of the crashes and I reckon it would sound mint.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices