I'm looking to see the changes of a banana if i soaked it in different liquids.
My liquids are water (control), factory made green tea, dish soap, and glass cleaner. i want to see which banana will be similar to the water soaked banana. I will soak it for an hour. Of course I will not use the same banana for all liquids, but i will cut them into 2 cm slices, each in it's own liquid. I will do two trials. Before the trial, I will (of course wash my hands, but also) feel it for any significances such as firmness and how sticky the inside is. After it is soaked, i will do the same.

And my hypothesis is : If a banana is soaked in tea, dish soap, and glass cleaner and then compared to a banana soaked in water, then the banana soaked in tea will be mostly similar to the banana soaked in water because, it's pH levels are closer to nuetral.

Also, can anyone correct me on this.
How about you try making a banana into an explosive instead? Then report back here with your findings.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Yeah it will work for a junior high class. I'm trying to think of a better way of doing your experiment that involves using drinkable basic liquids and comparing the bitterness of the different banana slices. Once you've compared the bitterness you would then measure the pH of the banana slices and then come to the conclusion that the more basic something is, the more bitter it will taste.
Wait, what is the goal of the experiment exactly? Testing pH levels effects on bananas? Cause that definitely needs to be cleared up.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by sgc09
I will feel it for (any significances such as) firmness and how sticky the inside is.

That's what she said.

*stuff in brackets didn't work
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Jan 3, 2010,
One time I discovered that when baking soda and vinegar were mixed, they created a mildly amusing chemical reaction. This got me thinking that if I were to cause this chemical reaction to fizz out the top of a paper mache mountain, it may resemble a volcano to the unsuspecting Science Fair enthusiast. I never tried it though.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.

wouldnt this just be easier?

EDIT!!!! : ^^^ FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Quote by Shaggy_420
^
very nice

- ಠ_ಠ -

Thug aim Say it really quickly
Last edited by Twinkey_101 at Jan 3, 2010,
im thinking of changing it to see which liquid would be the most corrosive on the banana. like see which banana soaked in what had corroded less.
I've always wanted to test to see how much weight an egg could hold.

But I guess your thing sounds okay. -.-
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
Sounds like a good idea.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
i don't see the the reason, but hey whatever floats your boat, as long as you use the right methods you should do okay. Ask your teacher.
I called my teacher and she said "you can get a D for the highest grade. That's what I think because in past years, I never gave anyone a C, B, or A when they first entered their experiment to me." So yeah. I don't reallycare about my methods cause she'll probably tell half my class to do it over again.
If it were me, I'd avoid using bananas since they're not too solid to begin with. I'd go with a potato if I were doing something like this. Also, I would use the same potato for each trial, with equally thick slices. Then just use something like 5 different potatoes for 5 different trials. This way you can actually plot your data and make a sort of "trend." As for solutions I think water is a good control. For the other solutions I'd try to use distilled water, if you can find it, water supersaturated with table salt, water with baking soda dissolved in it, and diluted vinegar. This way you'll have more to write about in your lab report as you'll have two variables, presence of solutes in the solution, and pH of the solution.

EDIT: This experiment is very similar to what many entry level biology classes do. You can talk about stuff like isotonic, hypotonic, hypertonic, osmotic gradients and all sorts of important sounding things.
Last edited by Kentris.5 at Jan 3, 2010,
To be honest, after around 6th grade, science projects became useless; let's put water on this and see what happens! I wonder which one will grow mold fastest!

It's all been done. If you want a good grade, do something interesting. It doesn't have to be difficult, but pick something that shows at least a little creativity!
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Sedate a girl lock her up somewhere. After that you try to CSI the crime scene as a project. You WILL get an A if you find her.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by sgc09
I'm looking to see the changes of a banana if i soaked it in different liquids.
My liquids are water (control), factory made green tea, dish soap, and glass cleaner. i want to see which banana will be similar to the water soaked banana. I will soak it for an hour. Of course I will not use the same banana for all liquids, but i will cut them into 2 cm slices, each in it's own liquid. I will do two trials. Before the trial, I will (of course wash my hands, but also) feel it for any significances such as firmness and how sticky the inside is. After it is soaked, i will do the same.

And my hypothesis is : If a banana is soaked in tea, dish soap, and glass cleaner and then compared to a banana soaked in water, then the banana soaked in tea will be mostly similar to the banana soaked in water because, it's pH levels are closer to nuetral.

Also, can anyone correct me on this.

TBH, as far as science goes, it's terrible because your observations are qualitative, and subjective.
You'd be better off looking at(for example) how the slices of banana change in mass over the course of your experiment; or measuring pH changes(easiest if you have a pH meter, if not, some ingenuity).
I redid everything so now my experiment is:

I plan on seeing how corrosive some liquids are on a potato. My liquids are water (control), vinegar, vegetable oil, and green tea. I think the vinegar would be most corrosive because it is the most acidic.

My problem I'll put in my report is "What liquid is less corrosive on a potato?"

My hypothesis is "If a potato is soaked in either vinegar, green tea, or cooking oil, then the least corrosive would be green tea because it is more alkaline than acidic."
Quote by sgc09
I redid everything so now my experiment is:

I plan on seeing how corrosive some liquids are on a potato. My liquids are water (control), vinegar, vegetable oil, and green tea. I think the vinegar would be most corrosive because it is the most acidic.

My problem I'll put in my report is "What liquid is less corrosive on a potato?"

My hypothesis is "If a potato is soaked in either vinegar, green tea, or cooking oil, then the least corrosive would be green tea because it is more alkaline than acidic."
How are you going to measure the effects of the various liquids? And I'm not sure how you would prove the alkaline/acidic bit.

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by 9Guitarist9
Use some Ph Indicator, or, you could simply use litmus paper
I'm not that stupid

EDIT: Wait, I had a brain fart. Continue your thread

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Jan 3, 2010,
I soaked potato slices in different liquids: water, cooking oil, green tea, and vinegar. I wanted to see which potato would end up being the darkest. I used water as my control. I soaked them for two hours and did two trials. I found out that the cooking oil soaked potatoes were the darkest. I used vegetable oil. I wonder why the cooking oil made it the darkest. I thought it would be the tea soaked one, but it ended up being the cooking oil that made it come out the darkest. Is there any ingredient in the oil that made the oil soaked potato the darkest?

I think i need to re-write my hypothesis. It is "If potato slices are soaked in either vinegar, tea, or cooking oil, then the tea would end up being the darkest because the potato would absorb the tea's color."
Quote by sgc09
I soaked potato slices in different liquids: water, cooking oil, green tea, and vinegar. I wanted to see which potato would end up being the darkest. I used water as my control. I soaked them for two hours and did two trials. I found out that the cooking oil soaked potatoes were the darkest. I used vegetable oil. I wonder why the cooking oil made it the darkest. I thought it would be the tea soaked one, but it ended up being the cooking oil that made it come out the darkest. Is there any ingredient in the oil that made the oil soaked potato the darkest?

I think i need to re-write my hypothesis. It is "If potato slices are soaked in either vinegar, tea, or cooking oil, then the tea would end up being the darkest because the potato would absorb the tea's color."

I thought you were testing how corrosive they were? Giving a dark colour has nothing to do with it. Maybe jodium/Iodine or whatever had a reaction. Long time since I did stuff like that.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Neo Evil11
I thought you were testing how corrosive they were? Giving a dark colour has nothing to do with it. Maybe jodium/Iodine or whatever had a reaction. Long time since I did stuff like that.

oh. i changed my idea cause nothing happened with the corrosive idea.
Quote by sgc09
oh. i changed my idea cause nothing happened with the corrosive idea.

Iodine would react with the starch (or whatever it is in English) and make it blue/black. Don't know if that is what you saw, don;t even know if there is Iodine in oil.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ