I finally just bought a Peavey JSX and the main style of music i will be playing is Thrash (Megadeth, Havok, Testament) and Technical Death Metal (Obscura, Necrophagist)

What's the best cabinet to compliment the JSX for my styles of metal?

My range is about $400-500

btw I've found a Marshall 1960A for $400 on craigslist

I've also been considering Saving up for:

Vader 4x12

or

Mesa Rec 4x12
A vader 2 x12 or 4x12. the 2x12 is a little more practical when moving around but its all preference
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm a gigging and soon-to-be touring musician. So I'd probably have to go with the 4x12.

I'm gonna see if i can get a Vader then.

If i couldn't get a Vader would that Marshall 1960A still be a good bet?
Ah I see. Try to haggle down the marshall if you can if you cant get the Vader. 400 seems a bit steep for the cab compared to what i've seen around on my Craigslist
really? I thought that was a steal....

oh well, i'll see what i can do.

Especially considering vader cabs are $769 or somewhere close to that. I see the guys from Necrophagist use them.. so i'd assume these are the real-deal professional level amps which may be worth the investment.
Last edited by KG Karnage at Jan 3, 2010,
Keep in mind that the Vader 2x12 have the power handling capabilities of alot of 4x12
hmmm thats actually very good to know.

I'll see how much money i have saved altogether after i sell my MG half stack lol.
Just be on the look out for other cabs that people may suggest.
You guys basically have it covered. I would suggest Vader.

mexican_shred knows what's up.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
alright yeah, thats what i'm thinking but i'd have to buy new at full price.
since they're not on eBay or Craiglist (You search vader and see what comes up lol)

Would a 2x12 be able to have the same power as a 4x12? cus this is for gigging and touring (sometimes basement shows with no PA)
Quote by KG Karnage
alright yeah, thats what i'm thinking but i'd have to buy new at full price.
since they're not on eBay or Craiglist (You search vader and see what comes up lol)

Would a 2x12 be able to have the same power as a 4x12? cus this is for gigging and touring (sometimes basement shows with no PA)
2x12 vs 4x12 is, for the most part, irrelevant in regards to power handling.

The Vintage 30 is a 60 watt speaker. Two of those will give you 120W power handling, which if I'm not mistaken, is what your JSX pumps out. Having a 4x12 with two extra V30s isn't going to much for you except change the way the sound is coming out of the cab.

The thing to do here is drag your JSX to a couple of shops and plug it into a few 4x12s and a few 2x12s. Your back will love you for only buying a 2x12, but you may not like your tone without a 4x12. As is always the case with musical equipment, your taste is different from everyone else.

Were it me in your shoes (and it well may be in a short while here) I'd save up a little longer, or sell a few pedals or something, and grab an Avatar Vintage cab loaded with a couple V30s. (of course, I'm just getting the V30s because they've got the highest resale value of anything you can get through Avatar. I really want Eminence Wizards)
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
a 2x12 and a 4x12 will be the same volume. The 4x12 just distributes the volume in a larger area. If a 2x12 is set up at audience level it will be not a major difference from a 4x12.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
The JSX by far sounds best with a Mesa 4x12. I would also look for a used Mesa 2x12.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
hmm alright. I'll see if i can find any deals on avatar cabs, but i'm still thinkin vader right now. Especially since they're not crazy expensive.

And what type of Mesa 4x12 should i try out? aren't there different types?
+1 to the Mesa and Vadar cabs.

A 4x12 will be slightly louder than a 2x12 me thinks but not by much and only if all other factors are the same (hard to do). There will be other variables that will contribute more to volume. I'm slightly biased and I have 212 but this one is not too far from you if you had it shipped.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/1532989083.html

use the link in my sig
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I was excited for a second when i saw the price of that avatar cab but not so much when i read it has no speakers lol. I play shows regularly, and i don't really have the know-how to install speakers on my own.

and Van Noord, how does the JSX sound out of your Marshall 1960A?
Oh Crap

I didn't even notice. There is an Avatar in Syracuse for $475 in here along with some other stuff. A brand new Avatar 212 made to order is around $400.

http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=mus&itm=avatar&loc=&fil=+&ys=&ye=&ps=&pe=&pgs=100&submit=++++go++++
wow i feel really not intelligent right now. I miss-took the price for the avatar cabs on their web site...

So would Vintage with Celestion 30's be the way to go? or should i go with G12T75s?
or any other combination....
Last edited by KG Karnage at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by KG Karnage
Van Noord, how does the JSX sound out of your Marshall 1960A?
It sounds ....good. But it sounds great with my Mesa cab. I'm actually planning on putting two V30's in an X-pattern in the 1960A to get more of a V30 tone, which I'm more used to.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
yeah i couldn't find a mesa stiletto cab for cheap at all...

I'm looking at Vader or Avatar right now.

Are emminence legends worth the extra $120 compared to the avatar's vintage 30s?
Vader cabs are really tight sounding on the bass so it doesnt get any flub
I don't like flub..... lol

And seeing as they look and are built like tanks which i prefer over the avatars... oh boy it's still a tough choice.

to quote my rhythm guitar player : "crap, i dunno man"