i keep getting emails from him all the time. So i finilly went to his site and was wondering how much is it? can u learn from this guy? Currently i have a teacher i pay 15/ 30 min which is cheap for NY.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Quote by silly6-string
i keep getting emails from him all the time. So i finilly went to his site and was wondering how much is it? can u learn from this guy? Currently i have a teacher i pay 15/ 30 min which is cheap for NY.

Tom definitely know what he's talking about, but he's way too expensive. I haven't had a lesson from him, but I know it wouldn't be worth it. If I had to guess I'd say he'd be about $50 for 30 mins.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I really like Tom's articles. A lot of it is common sense, but put very well, and it was certainly an eye opener for me. I apply his thinking about goals to my own practice, and it's not only kept me focused but made the process of learning a lot more fun - like this nifty project I'm working on, rather than a bunch of isolated practice sessions.
His in person lesson's are extremely expensive - about $1k per month for four weekly lessons. Plus you would have to factor in airfare to the Chicago (if my memory is correct) area and hotel costs. Plus there is a waiting list.
I agree with others that you'd probably want to be at an extremely high level of playing before considering that kind of investment.
He does do correspondance lessons that are a lot cheaper. I know of at least one person on UG that has taken them, and he spoke very highly of them.
I'm enrolled with his correspondance course right now. Right now it's a bit too early it's only been two weeks and it's $50 dollar for 2 lessons every month. The lesson are a bit large and you don't get everything all in one, he spreads it out. I like some things about it but yeah a lot of it is common sense and motivational speaking stuff...he even mentions that he's a big fan of that one motivational speaker...um the dude with the BIG WHITE TEETH??? Can't think of his name at the moment.

Again no solid opinion just yet but I do think it is a bit too expensive.
Quote by IronPriest82
he even mentions that he's a big fan of that one motivational speaker...um the dude with the BIG WHITE TEETH???

Randy Pausch?
Quote by IronPriest82
he even mentions that he's a big fan of that one motivational speaker...um the dude with the BIG WHITE TEETH??? Can't think of his name at the moment.

Barack Obama?

I've checked out Tom's stuff, he definitely is intelligent, and he definitely can play well. I took a short questionnaire on his site, wondering what will happen, and I should get a response soon, to see how well he assesses my abilities.
Of course, I'm not sure a guitar teacher is necessary to be incredible, and it's not nearly as fun or relaxed as teaching yourself.
I take correspondence lessons from Tom and recommend him wholeheartedly. Not only do you get a lot of material that you can keep and review for the rest of your life but the overall benefit on my playing and my mentality towards achieving what I want musically and otherwise has expanded greatly since starting lessons with him.

If I lived in his area and had the money I'd definitely do personal training regardless of my playing level. No matter what level you're on you'll speed up the process of your training A LOT.

My advice is devour all his FREE material on his site and then decide.
Quote by Mr. Parker
What about his Practice Generator? Worth $17.00 a month?

I don't use it actually. I have a spreadsheet with all the items of things I need/want to learn and I rotate/change/update as needed on a regular basis.

However, I'm not opposed to the Practice Generator. If you know what you want to achieve and what you need to work on to get there, the Practice Generator can only help. I know a lot of people that use it to great effect.

I'll probably subscribe to it at some point.
I've heard good things about him, but I get really good lessons from the guy I'm working with right now (who's a blues/funk/jazz player - a bit of a change from my usual hard rock) and I don't feel any need to switch at all.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by Kwote
I don't use it actually. I have a spreadsheet with all the items of things I need/want to learn and I rotate/change/update as needed on a regular basis.

However, I'm not opposed to the Practice Generator. If you know what you want to achieve and what you need to work on to get there, the Practice Generator can only help. I know a lot of people that use it to great effect.

I'll probably subscribe to it at some point.

Thanks, I might take a look at it. My practice habits are pretty bad these days. But I also have very little time to do anything for myself anymore, baby and all.
In the Valley of Vung
Got a response back from him. He said everything I expected to hear, but said it in a much better and motivating way. I'm not even kidding.
One of my main flaws is that I don't really have any goals or practice time laid out, and the way Tom described that was brilliant. 'Imagine traveling by car to a destination but having no idea where the destination was.' That's a much better way than I, or any other teacher I've heard, describe.
Honestly, just from reading his responses I already feel much more motivated and inclined to play. I'm sure his paid lessons are brilliant.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I've heard good things about him, but I get really good lessons from the guy I'm working with right now (who's a blues/funk/jazz player - a bit of a change from my usual hard rock) and I don't feel any need to switch at all.

You probably wouldn't get much from Hess if that's what you're interested in; from what I've seen Hess mainly deals in the whole neoclassical metal/shred thing anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
He states on his site what he does not teach. Looks to be all metal related.
In the Valley of Vung
Quote by Kwote
I take correspondence lessons from Tom and recommend him wholeheartedly. Not only do you get a lot of material that you can keep and review for the rest of your life but the overall benefit on my playing and my mentality towards achieving what I want musically and otherwise has expanded greatly since starting lessons with him.

If I lived in his area and had the money I'd definitely do personal training regardless of my playing level. No matter what level you're on you'll speed up the process of your training A LOT.

My advice is devour all his FREE material on his site and then decide.

+1 There is A LOT of free stuff on his site to check out.
Tom rocks, and he doesn't teach just metal. What he teaches applies to all kinds of rock, blues, metal, etc. He does state that he doesn't teach jazz, classical, country, or bluegrass, though. I've been taking lessons from Tom for over a year now and couldn't be happier, I recommend him to anybody.
For experience is Better to get classes in person. But I have a couple friends that recomended me a online type of class, I mean they are not experts but they do know how to play. You might wanna check it out. They told me that they can even chose their teacher on the online course. Just a tought you know, I prefer face to face classes anyways. It doesn't matter how good is the teacher is you dedication who will make the diference.
I learned more from Tom in 18 months than I did in 4 years of "real" guitar lessons. They are kind of expensive, but they do get results.

There is a misconception that he only teaches shred guitar, but that's not true. He will show you how to increase speed, sweep pick, and all that. But he will also give you lessons on vibrato, modes, chords, improvisation, aural skills, blues, fretboard memorization, phrasing, rhythm, songwriting, legato, etc, etc.

And the forums rock. While you tend to get lots of advice from amateurs who don't know what they're talking about on sites like this, I've consistently found great answers to any question I had on Tom's forum. Tom also teaches people how to teach guitar, so there are tons of very knowledgeable people on the forums. Many of who have successful music careers, such as Mike Phillippov up above.
Last edited by MantlePicture at Jul 31, 2011,
That's very nice, however this thread is over a year old.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com