I have a Marshall MG Half Stack and I just put a set of 81/85 EMGs with an Afterburner knob in my Epi LP. I get a really nice tone, clean and dirty, but my problem is that Im playing in a metal band and I cant seem to get a good heavy tone. Not as good as I wanted, anyways. I tried running it through the ole Tubescreamer and also on my heavy setting on my Digitech Processer and they both sound good, but I need to find a way to get my tone a little more ballsy. I havent played it very loud so it might be alright once I crank it but I thought maybe I should try a distortion pedal or something.

Also, please no "cheap amp" responses. I realize its not the best of the best. But when I bought it (needed it) I was low on cash and I gotta good deal and I hope to make it last for awhile at least til I can upgrade.
Save up. You can get a Peavey XXX combo for less than $400 these days.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I understand that situation but there really is not a lot you can do to make your MG more 'ballsy'.

If you really have to, I guess you could try running a dirt pedal through its clean channel but that probably won't work out too well.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Here's some settings I use for metal on most of my amps: Keep the bass around 12 o'clock, mids up at like 3 o'clock, and highs around 4 o'clock. Use enough distortion to crunch things up, but not so much that it messes with note clarity (especially in chords.)

Of course, if you're using a lower tuning than E standard or Drop D, you might want to tool around with your bass knob until you get enough meat on the low end.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
When I played an MG it had no bass at all. It sounded like a bee buzzing around in a tin can. The settings didn't seem to do anything. Sell it to some schmuck on eBay and get a tube combo for the same price.
1. Roll treble down to about 6.
2. Bass up to...let's say...7 or 8?
3. Mids at 7-8, adjust as needed(Do not scoop! I know a lot of metal bands do this, but the amps they're using are voiced to be cranked, and are made to have huge presence even when scooped. MG's are practice amps, it's just meant to hold it's own against the washing machine. Scooping the mids will take whatever presence the tone has)
4. Less gain(Distortion eats low and high frequencies. I'm not saying to go clean, just lower it. It'll sound better and be more responsive.)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Well, to be totally honest man...

You're not gonna have much luck getting ballsy tone out of an MG. Turning it up won't make it any better seeing as it is Solid state. If anything, it will get worse. My advice to you is to save your money, once you gather up some decent cash, sell your MG on Kijiji or something and pick up Randall's RX or RH line of products. I used the Randall RX120D for about 4 years with a Boss Metal Zone and it sounded fantastic. Honestly, you can't really ask for any better for a cheap SS metal half stack.

If you wanna hear some sound clips, check out my profile and listen to my cover of Sodom's Napalm in the Morning. It's an old clip, about 2 years old. But it sounds quite good.
It's got real nice bass response. Pretty tight if you ask me.

The RX line goes for about 700$ give or take a couple bucks. So I would definitely look into it if I were you.

Good luck man.
Quote by RX120D
Well, to be totally honest man...

You're not gonna have much luck getting ballsy tone out of an MG. Turning it up won't make it any better seeing as it is Solid state. If anything, it will get worse. My advice to you is to save your money, once you gather up some decent cash, sell your MG on Kijiji or something and pick up Randall's RX or RH line of products. I used the Randall RX120D for about 4 years with a Boss Metal Zone and it sounded fantastic. Honestly, you can't really ask for any better for a cheap SS metal half stack.

If you wanna hear some sound clips, check out my profile and listen to my cover of Sodom's Napalm in the Morning. It's an old clip, about 2 years old. But it sounds quite good.
It's got real nice bass response. Pretty tight if you ask me.

The RX line goes for about 700$ give or take a couple bucks. So I would definitely look into it if I were you.

Good luck man.

No offense, but thats a pretty bad suggestion too. There are plenty of valve amps available which are perfect for metal; Randall RH50T/RG50TC, many Peaveys and more, all of which can be found for a lot less than $700 if you're willing to go used. Plus, there's no point buying a $700 amp for metal if you're going to use a Metal Zone, it makes most amps sound pretty much the same in my experience.

TS, the MG isnt exactly a good amp for metal, its just not voiced for it and lacks gain IMO. A decent valve amp would do wonders for your tone, and there are quite a few available for relatively cheap which would be great. EMG's dont work particularly well with solid state amps.
heres my .02. if you really cant afford a new amp keep the mg on a clean setting and get something like an mi audio crunch box for overdrive or maybe the hardwire metal distortion. the mg overdrive sucks but the cleans are decent so use a good pedal for overdrive
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Well I figured most of these responses would be something like that. lol

Can you guys recommend me a few decent tube combos to check out? Like I said, Im playin in a trash-ier metal band right now, but we also palysome clean songs so Id prefer if it had decent cleans too.
Don't use EMGs with an SS amp. All your tone will disappear.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Just did a quick search..I guess XXX's arent so easy to find huh? lol
I played blackouts through a mg and it sounded fine
My friend has about 5 guitars, which are atleast worth $500AU each. And yet he hasnt gotten rid of his MG
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
18v mod + 85 in the bridge and add whatever pup you like from EMG in the neck, the 60 is fairly popular. I don't mind the 81, but the 85 is tons better in the bridge over the 81. Its beefier, heavier but not muddy. Of course you'll get bashed for this and I agree, ditch the MG. EMG's were made to overdrive tube amps, not solid state.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst