how do you imagine modern music would have developed without the guitar?

so imagine an alternate reality where the guitar was never invented. how do you imagine that modern music would have developed without the guitar?

i imagine that classical and jazz would be the forefront of music nowadays.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

We would have metal played with sitars. \m/
And Hendrix would have been a TV salesman.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by chaos13

+1. Sitar is a bad ass instrument. I learned it for a year. It has 21 strings and is a bad ass thing to play metal on.

But seriously we would still have metal in form of Apocalyptica probably.
Quote by chaos13

but it also begs to question, would metal have ever come to fruition if not for the guitar?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

I think synthy, electronic stuff would have appeared much earlier.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by aradine
but it also begs to question, would metal have ever come to fruition if not for the guitar?

Ahh, but it also begs the question; Can metal be related to fruit?

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Jazz and classical would still be dead. What drove modern music wasn't the guitar but the amplifier, enabling a small band of three to five people to make the volume you previously needed an orchestra or a big band to get. If there were no guitars we'd still be playing solidbodied string instruments through amplifiers in small bands today.
I think that other instruments similar to the guitar would have been turned into electric instruments, but I think musical styles would be alot different.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by osXtiger
Ahh, but it also begs the question; Can metal be related to fruit?

but that also begs to question, just what can be related to fruit?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

I would be rocking the electric Sarod right now, thats certain
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
actually, music would have most likely evolved more or less the same only a different instrument besides a guitar would be a forerunner.

everything can be amplified. everything can be distorted.

Quote by Its_Rock77
actually, music would have most likely evolved more or less the same only a different instrument besides a guitar would be a forerunner.

everything can be amplified. everything can be distorted.

yes, i agree. but think about this, blues came as primarily a guitar genre of music. and alot of modern genres take alot of influence from what was set out by the blues. if the guitar hadn't existed, therefore the blues would have taken on a different form if it even existed at all.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

The instrument is not what makes the music (stfu all of you).
I think it would be exactly the same.
Quote by aradine
yes, i agree. but think about this, blues came as primarily a guitar genre of music. and alot of modern genres take alot of influence from what was set out by the blues. if the guitar hadn't existed, therefore the blues would have taken on a different form if it even existed at all.

piano or banjo would've been the main thing. banjo was the predecessor of the guitar's place in jazz groups.

i'm talking about four string banjos played with a plectrum, by the way. not five.

i think a more interesting and realistic thing to ponder is what if the electric upright bass had preceded the electric bass guitar?
#DTWD
Quote by aradine

well, I would argue that, blues was as much piano based as it was guitar in the earliest years, and many popular blues guitar techniques come from emulation of piano licks

blues would have existed, and with it bringing jazz and eventually rock and roll
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Mudmen190
The instrument is not what makes the music (stfu all of you).
I think it would be exactly the same.

true, but the instrument the music is played on can help or hinder the player, it also allows for different sounds to be produced.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by aradine

Quote by frigginjerk
yeah, we woulda had hendrix playing a saxophone instead.

I think this is a good point. I can see blues coming from guitar since the guitar was in fact invented, but had the guitar never existed I believe blues could have just as easily sprung from a sax.

a musical genre is born out of someone's mind, not from an inanimate object.

Quote by Its_Rock77
a musical genre is born out of someone's mind, not from an inanimate object.

that's not true, i don't think. the resources someone has to work with is going to affect the sound and therefore the genre. every instrument has pros and cons. rock and roll couldn't exist within a viola chamber orchestra.
#DTWD
Quote by aradine

Most blues players started out by building diddley bows or cigar box 'guitars' so it would be inevitable..
Quote by primusfan
that's not true, i don't think. the resources someone has to work with is going to affect the sound and therefore the genre. every instrument has pros and cons. rock and roll couldn't exist within a viola chamber orchestra.

do you believe that some genres could have been discovered simply by accident through experimentation on a different instrument?

because I suppose that is very possible.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Most blues players started out by building diddley bows or cigar box 'guitars' so it would be inevitable..

yes, but would blues have developed into what we know it as today if these traditions carried on all these years because a guitar could not be procured?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by smb
If there were no guitars we'd still be playing solidbodied string instruments through amplifiers in small bands today.

You mean like this stuff?
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by aradine
i imagine that classical and jazz would be the forefront of music nowadays.

I am under the impression that Jazz would be aa lot worse for wear without the guitar.
classical orchestras and sh1t would be really popular cuz they don't use guitars. Also, eastern music would be largely unaffected because they don't use guitars to the extent that western music does.
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
what instrument was popular before the guitar? mandolin? violin? keyboard? we'd all be rocking those.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Alex Vik

You mean like this stuff?

Hahahahahaa that thing looks like a weapon!

Edit: Sry double post
Last edited by SgtPrice at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by teegman
Jazz is dead anyhow, classical is redundant and so is the guitar.

Yeah, right.
Of course, people would pretty accurately attempt to emulate the sound of something they've never heard before.

Pretty cool video though.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Of course, people would pretty accurately attempt to emulate the sound of something they've never heard before.

Pretty cool video though.

That had occurred to me. Then again, the guitar itself has been around for roughly 4000 years, IIRC. Either way I really just wanted an excuse to post that video.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Synths have been around in some form since the 40s at least anyway, they just never got very popular.. You can distort them and get quite guitar like sounds , good for riffs and lead so im sure that would have become more popular

Yeah, but weren't they something silly like the size of a small room just for 2 or 3 octaves? I suppose though, the evolution would have gone quicker.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
'Sup dawg. I'm Hip-Hop from an alternate reality where there was no such thing as this instrument called the 'guitar'. I'm basically at the forefront of music everywhere. In fact, we have this site like this one only it's called 'Ultimate-Decks.com' and we have an off-topic forum called 'The Trick'.

Peace Y'all.

- Hip-Hop
Quote by primusfan
piano or banjo would've been the main thing. banjo was the predecessor of the guitar's place in jazz groups.

i'm talking about four string banjos played with a plectrum, by the way. not five.

i think a more interesting and realistic thing to ponder is what if the electric upright bass had preceded the electric bass guitar?

You know the stringed instruments would more or less would've lead to the invention of a guitar. I mean, all stringed instruments are similar in construction and are played in a similar way (hand or plectrum), don't you think at some point of time, if the banjo existed that the invention of guitar would've been inevitable?

Like today guitars are primarily recognized as a six stringed instrument, the seven string invention would've been called something else but would've had the same purpose.