Poll: Whats the best shredding shape?
Poll Options
View poll results: Whats the best shredding shape?
V shape
14 18%
Explorer shape
7 9%
Double cutaway
47 59%
Other
12 15%
Voters: 80.
NOTE THIS IS SHAPE NOT BRAND
Okay, I was just wondering, what is the easiest shape to shred on? Im just wondering what would be the best. I currently play a Les Paul, and play reasnobly fast, but playing fast licks high on the fret board is hard, due to its limitations. So, out of the following, which would be easier to shred on:
V shape
Explorer shape
Double cutaway
Other

If other, please specify
Clapton is god, accept it.
pointless.......

unless your asking about higher fret access which then becomes brand specific
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jan 3, 2010,
i see V's as easy to shred on. because well...........theyre missing quite a bit of wood. lol
Classical Guitarist
the worst is ibanez... mainly because ibanez are all low quality guitars... worse than squier...
Quote by FiendForce
the worst is ibanez... mainly because ibanez are all low quality guitars... worse than squier...

Worse is stupid people talking about things they dont know about and generalising entire brands from little or no real experience.

Really, shape doesnt affect playability a whole lot, construction (neck joint, neck thickness, cutaway depth) is more important. It depends on preference, but usually AANJ style bolt ons, or neck thru's are better for access, thinner necks and deep cutaways are best for shredding.
Quote by littlephil
Worse is stupid people talking about things they dont know about and generalising entire brands from little or no real experience.

+1
Quote by FiendForce

...Right.

Anything that allows the best fret access, really. From your choices, the double cutaway.
Gary Kramer Guitars Delta Wing shape. Perfectly balanced, good fret access up to 27th fret, and looks awesome.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by FiendForce

newbie has much to learn.

I think that SGs would be pretty good for allowing you to play more comfortably at the upper frets. the SG shape's upper fret access is second to none, provided they've done it right
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by FiendForce

LOL all of your previous posts have been pathetic attempts at trolling. How about you just quit while you're behind.

As for shapes I prefer to play on superstrats over the V, never been a big fan of them.
I think it's more of the shape of the neck and the neck joint itself rather than the shape of the body. I have played guitars where the neck joint is just too thick and the lower cutaway not deep enough to get a good feel at the upper frets and some where they are contoured nicely behind the neck joint so you can comfortably play upper frets.

IMHO I have the best shred guitar made.

The Alverez Dana Scoop.

You can't get better upper fret access than that!

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by johnro6659
I think it's more of the shape of the neck and the neck joint itself rather than the shape of the body. I have played guitars where the neck joint is just too thick and the lower cutaway not deep enough to get a good feel at the upper frets and some where they are contoured nicely behind the neck joint so you can comfortably play upper frets.

IMHO I have the best shred guitar made.

The Alverez Dana Scoop.

You can't get better upper fret access than that!

John

That Kinda actually looks cool. Nice Guitar How does she sound?
Quote by FiendForce

If I weren't facing a potential permaban, I would seriously take up a whole page detailing every intricate detail of Ibanez's history.

You seriously fail. Get out.
SuperStrat style guitars generally have the best combination of upper fret access and balance. A V has better upper fret access, but not the balance - especially if you are playing it sitting down. Of course, a V is made to be played on stage.
Quote by FatalGear41
SuperStrat style guitars generally have the best combination of upper fret access and balance. A V has better upper fret access, but not the balance - especially if you are playing it sitting down. Of course, a V is made to be played on stage.

Try playing in the classical position sitting down. you'll only benefit from it.
Quote by Zhuriel
Gary Kramer Guitars Delta Wing shape. Perfectly balanced, good fret access up to 27th fret, and looks awesome.

Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
don`t feed the troll peeps...ignore it, it`ll get bored and go away.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by johnro6659

Normally I see things like that and think 'gimmick - that's retarded' but that genuinely does seem really useful. You must get amazing access to the high frets.
Quote by FiendForce

tell this to Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Paul Gilbert (just off the top of my head). maybe you can convince them to switch to Squiers.

anyways, I voted V, becaues there's nothing to block your fingers.

I know something that has terrible upper fret access though. Ever see the Schecter Tommy Lee signature?

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/Schecter-DIAMOND-SERIES-Tommy-Lee-Baritone-6-String-Electic-Guitar--P736C3.aspx
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by FiendForce
Lame attempt at trolling dude.

Best body for shredding? Are were there yet? I thought we were supposed to be onto a 'best tuners for shredding' thread with bodies coming later.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I love how there's no single cutaway(See; Guthrie Govan, Doug Aldrich, Buckethead, etc.).

Anyway, whatever is comfy for you really. Double cutaways work for most people, but plenty like single-cuts and other shapes; it's all preference, anyone who claims there's a best either endorses a brand, is from marketing or is a brainwashed puppy who's opinions are about as relevant as Lars Ulrich's on piracy.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
The Alvarez does sound great it has Alvarez's own active electronics designed specifically for the guitar and they have it set up different than other guitars there is no real tone knob The guitar has a Vol and an enhancer control. Instead of adjusting the tone it blends the two pick ups. Not really sure how it works but it does quite well. I bought the guitar as a novelty more than a played but it really is great. I am surprised they didn't take off.

I posted this link before but I'll add it here it's a good read:

http://danamusic.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=777

John
Quote by FiendForce

Your trolling skills are not high enough. Please level up before trying again.

I personally think it doesn't matter and that it's all personal preference, but I like Ibanez's for fast playig.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
The best there is.
[
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
i voted double cutaway. super strat shapes all the way!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
SonOfSanguinus , I remember watching Rusty Cooley's Betcha Can't Play This and thinking:
"What the f--k?! he did all this boring as hell merchandising so he can sound like crap?!"
... I won't trust that guitar.
I'm not an Ibanez fan either, I think they're overrated brand.

To the topic, I play on a Les Paul (Gibson, not Epiphone, I have some respect... XD)
but I voted Explorer shape 'cause I'm not so comfort with those shapes. look cool though...
I really willing to buy a Jackson Kelly, or Dinky.
Dukey Uses & Abuses:

A Jackson Kelly, A Gibson Les Paul, 2 Fender amps,An Ibanez bass, A Digitech RP350
In general, I'd say superstrats have the best upper fret access. Of course, there are always more radical models that improve on it, like that Alvarez.

I don't find that V's actually have that great of fret access. Once you reach the neck joint, it just gets progressively worse.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera