http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/247004

I found that pretty shocking actually. I don't buy organic, but for the people that do I feel kind of bad. I mean the fact that there are over 200 exceptions is pretty ridiculous.

I really think the US government needs to make some changes, and perhaps provide some more funding for the program.

I mean I guess consumers shouldn't take things at face value, but still. It's pretty deceptive really.
Sue them

EDIT: That's pretty horrible that they are able to falsely advertise like that and get away with it. A lot of people's money and health have gone to waste buying so-called "organic" foods.
Last edited by coryklok at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by coryklok
Sue them

You really ought to make that sig smaller. Plus he accepted his ban. So maybe just get rid of it entirely.
I feel so trapped with food here in America. It's come to where, short of having your own garden, you're eating poison no matter what you eat.
Quote by daytripper75
You really ought to make that sig smaller. Plus he accepted his ban. So maybe just get rid of it entirely.

He was one of the more intelligent users of the pit, he doesn't deserve to be banned like that. Oh well, this isn't the place to argue it.
Yea, the guidelines for what is considered organic are ridiculously lenient. Mostly organic means: made the exact same way as industrial food (terrible living conditions for animals and whatnot) minus the hormones and antibiotics. So it's better, but not by much. If you really want to eat better, buy from a local farm...

edit: just read the article... apparently they do allow hormones and antibiotics? Hmm maybe the policies have changed recently. Anyway, anyone interested in learning more about the food industry and where your food comes from, you should get the book 'The Omnivore's Dilemma'. It's really good..
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Last edited by ACG at Jan 3, 2010,
Did anyone here watch that movie FOOD Inc.? It was pretty good, not as in depth as I'd hoped but it touched on a lot of different subjects that make/break the food industry in the US. I was worth taking the time to watch. Some of it was quite sad, some scary. The deal with the GMO's shocked me though.

I've always attempted to eat the best I could, I never bothered with organic oranges or milk, but organic yogurt is pretty cheap, and the rest of the produce I eat can be found locally most times of the season.
Quote by sybil
Did anyone here watch that movie FOOD Inc.? It was pretty good, not as in depth as I'd hoped but it touched on a lot of different subjects that make/break the food industry in the US. I was worth taking the time to watch. Some of it was quite sad, some scary. The deal with the GMO's shocked me though.

I've always attempted to eat the best I could, I never bothered with organic oranges or milk, but organic yogurt is pretty cheap, and the rest of the produce I eat can be found locally most times of the season.

Yea I watched it....it was good but yea like you said it lacked depth. Michael Pollan actually largely helped make that movie...he is the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma which is basically Food Inc. but a lot more in depth and a lot better (Pollan is a great writer). I suggest you pick it up if you want more depth.
Ive always thought that there was something fishy about "organic". Ive worked on a farm my whole life and its just not cost efficient not to use pesticides and herbicides. I really dont feel like reading that whole article right now and im not real sure what organic technically means, but ive always assumed it was without chemicals, and i just dont understand how a farm could survive to distribute without pesticides and herbicides, you just couldnt get your farm big enough to be cost efficient i dont think.
That's pretty cool. I never really bought any organics, and I'll try to stay away unless changes come to the organization.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Quote by dmiwshicldply
Ive always thought that there was something fishy about "organic". Ive worked on a farm my whole life and its just not cost efficient not to use pesticides and herbicides. I really dont feel like reading that whole article right now and im not real sure what organic technically means, but ive always assumed it was without chemicals, and i just dont understand how a farm could survive to distribute without pesticides and herbicides, you just couldnt get your farm big enough to be cost efficient i dont think.

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/default.aspx
Buying organic is for stupid communists. It costs too much and I'd much rather have my vegetables free of disease.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I just gotta laugh at all the beatnicks that think they dine every nite in the garden of eden. Surprise! your eating as many chemicals as eveyrone else and paying twice as much suckers.
Quote by daytripper75
That's great. I just wish it was a possibility for all farms to be that way. Unfortunately it just isn't feasible anymore.

Yea no doubt. Their policy of "we won't ship anything anywhere" would have to change if the world wanted to operate with farms like that. Other than that though, I think it's possible for a LOT of farms to be like that...Polyface produces a huge amount of food for the number of acres it operates with. Their methods heal the land quite literally, producing new soil and bringing back the delicate balance of nature. I think the one thing holding most farms back is the amount of work required for a farm like that. It's basically year-round 10+ hours a day. But damn, I wish I could eat food from Polyface
Quote by SlipknotRule93
Buying organic is for stupid communists. It costs too much and I'd much rather have my vegetables free of disease.

ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Great find. I'll have to show my mom. I guess organic eggplants aren't safe after all.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by fearofthemark
Great find. I'll have to show my mom. I guess organic eggplants aren't safe after all.

You're only putting your penis in them. So I don't think it is too serious. Then again your penis might start to glow.
Quote by SlipknotRule93

If you say so. I'd much rather have my food taste good.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by daytripper75
You're only putting your penis in them. So I don't think it is too serious. Then again your penis might start to glow.

And that would be a bad thing?