Hey everybody,
I am getting a Bc Rich Mockingbird ST + Blackstar HT 5 and i wanted to hear your opinion on the setup , - im mainly playing Guns n Roses/led zep, rock/hard rock, and stuff around that kind of thing. I'm not into metal that much , i play more of bluesy stuff.

Would that setup cut it for me? Did i make a good choice?

Also i'd like to know what do you think of The rockfield Mafia pickups are those any good for the purpose?

Thanks!
Last edited by Defyant1911 at Jan 6, 2010,
I think the HT-5 would suit you well. BC Rich guitars? eh...maybe look for something else for your style of music..but I am no judge for that since I've never even played a BC rich before
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I'd go for a les paul becouse i know it sounds good but i picked the Mockingbird ST becouse its more appealing to me and also has trem. I want to archieve the sound of an epiphone/gibson les paul standard with it but i don't know if i will come close with the rockfield mafia pickups, also im wondering if its possible to change pickups and still wire them so all of the knobs on the guitar remain working(varitone filter and others).
mockingbird is a laughably poor choice. the HT-5 however will suit you well. the mafia pickups suck, and the b.c rich as a whole is just a horrible choice for someone who doesn't want to play metal.
I'm not going to bandwagon, I've never played any BC rich guitars, and I can't judge them, but fow what your playing I would try to find a nice Les Paul as suggested before, maybe a Korean Epi, Edwards or Tokai
BC Rich guitars doesn't fit that style of music at all, sound as well as their terrible shapes and finishes. And if you're not into metal i don't see the point in buying a metal-guitar.

Its damn pretty in my eyes i don't know about you guys. Also pretty nice reviews about it,
Could you tell me why getting this guitar for softer stuff is a bad choice?
Quote by ProgFolk12
Because it's not designed for softer stuff

It doesn't quite work that way. Craig Ross has used a Mockingbird for **** sake.

The mocking bird will be fine for hard rock: you might want to switch out the pups though, I'm not certain, I've never delt with Rockfield pickups.

People just get stuck on the shape, and leap on the 'bc rich is for metal only' band wagon.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Isn't it pickups that give most of the sound of the guitar? And if the rockfield mafias won't do the sound i want isn't switching pickups an option?

Edit: just saw the post above , also does someone know if eventually the new pickups could be wired so i keep the useless bunch of knobs on the guitar (those varitone filters and that stuff)
Ty
Last edited by Defyant1911 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by pigeonmafia
It doesn't quite work that way. Craig Ross has used a Mockingbird for **** sake.

The mocking bird will be fine for hard rock: you might want to switch out the pups though, I'm not certain, I've never delt with Rockfield pickups.

People just get stuck on the shape, and leap on the 'bc rich is for metal only' band wagon.

I never jumped on that bandwagon, but he says he's playing mainly blues up to hard rock. That's LP territory through and through. In the end, if you like your BC Rich that's fine, all i'm saying is I'd take an LP for those genres, every time.
Yes

*edit*

I don't own a BC Rich, never have. Never liked the shapes myself. But just because an LP does it well, that doesn't mean nothing else can. What if he wants 24 frets and actualy decent acess to them? LPs fall a bit short there.
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Jan 3, 2010,
No yeah I know, i used "your" to refer to Defyant for some reason lol. It's about feel more than anything else as well, and the amp will make a larger tone difference than the guitar.
Quote by ProgFolk12
No yeah I know, i used "your" to refer to Defyant for some reason lol. It's about feel more than anything else as well, and the amp will make a larger tone difference than the guitar.

Ah okay

I agree on the feel: I'd never buy a guitar if I hadn't felt the neck.
BC Richs are good. That one'll suit you. Personally, I'd put some Seymour Duncan Blackouts in it, but those aren't really rock/hard rock. Idk bout the amp or those pickups though.

What you do want, I think, is a medium output pickup with a scooped mid. So, the highs and lows would be higher than the mids, basically. That gives more of that GNR type distortion, think "Paradise City", thickening up your sound a bit. If your amp has any power to it, it should also be good.

Happy early NGD!
Im looking at something like Seymor Duncan Alnico 2 pro or seymor duncan '59

I want something warm.
Does the guitar itself as body make any notable difference in sound ?
Quote by Defyant1911
Im looking at something like Seymor Duncan Alnico 2 pro or seymor duncan '59

I want something warm.
Does the guitar itself as body make any notable difference in sound ?

It can do, yes, the wood it's made out of.
Have a look at RockMonkey pickups, I recent;y bought the Smooth Heritage and it's amazing. Have a look at the Buttmonkey for bridge and the vintage original for the neck. But email Chris (Extremely helpful) about what you want and he will point you in the right direction.

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/humbuckers.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
How does the Mockingbird ST compare to an Epiphone/Gibson Les Paul , will the Mockingbird be able to get close enough tone or will i need to change pickups (and is a pickup change going to nail the tone of a lp) ?

I'd go out and try both but stores around here don't have the mockingbird ST.
I hope to get good answer becouse i am about to buy either a les paul or a mockingbird st pretty soon

Thanks a lot guys

P.S. i'd go for a les paul generally becouse i know it sounds great but the mockingbird st is more appealing to me and the floyd rose trem,
Last edited by Defyant1911 at Jan 6, 2010,
Check out www.rondomusic.com, they do good guitars. A bit expenisvie if you live outside of the US, but the have LPs with trems

I've heard good things about both of the things you've chosen already, though, so yeah
STRIKING MINORS