So I have been looking at getting a valve combo and I was wondering if anyone good give me some constructive input. I was really interested in the Laney vc30's (dunno out of the 210 or 112 though, could someone explain the sound difference? ) but someone also suggested the Peavey valveking 112.

I play most things except for metal.....

Thanks
"You Shall Never Hear Surf Music Again"

Gear
Fender Telecaster with Dimarzio AirNorton/Tonezone - Coil split

Laney VC30 2X10
Orange Crush 15R
Boss DS-1
Boss SD-1
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss DD-7
Dunlop Crybaby
Carlsbro Phaser
10 inch speakers are a little brighter than 12's, the 212 would give a more notable difference, but costs/weighs a bit more. I prefer the 112 since you can swap out 1 speaker more easily than 2. Can you be more specific with genres/bands, exactly what do you listen to, what bands/artists do you want to sound like most? What's your budget? Can you go used? I assume that's all your gear in your sig too...and you're in Europe? Also, I like my VC30, but if you need it to get to even hard rock you might struggle without an OD. Otherwise, nice cleans, decent features, nice low gain crunch. Stock speaker/valves aren't great, but they're ok, and they're about on par for amps that price...
Haven't played a VK,I hear It's a similar story quality wise stock, not priced as well in Europe, but with a few mods can be made very good.
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by paruwi
Any thoughts on the BlackHeart?

The Handsome Devil Combo should be in that price range or cheaper.
It's a great sounding amp - and built like a tank.
After changing the stock chinese tubes to a matched pair from TAD
and putting in a 12AT7 in V-1 you can get nice cleans too.

http://www.blackhearteng.com/bh5112.html
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart.html

Peter

+1; I love mine.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by ProgFolk12
^ Nice amp, need to know if your planning gigging TS, If so 5 watts wont cut it

The Handsome Devil is 15watts, enough for small-medium sized gigs; Blackhearts are extraordinarily loud amps.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
The Handsome Devil is 15watts, enough for small-medium sized gigs; Blackhearts are extraordinarily loud amps.

Sorry I clicked the first link to the little giant, my bad. And yeah 15watts can be very loud, as long as it has some headroom.
well thats my gear in the sig bar a few other pedals (haven't updated the sig in a while). My budget is no more than £500 and I totally willing to go second hand now without trying to sound pretentious I kind of avoid trying to sound like someone.

Rock - Led Zep sorta thing
Heavy Rock - QOTSA

But also other stuff like robert fripp, the strokes, albert king, krautrock eg Neu! and the like, so quite a versatile amp really I kinda had my eye on the vc30 seeing as I had been told it took pedals very well

Gigging too !
"You Shall Never Hear Surf Music Again"

Gear
Fender Telecaster with Dimarzio AirNorton/Tonezone - Coil split

Laney VC30 2X10
Orange Crush 15R
Boss DS-1
Boss SD-1
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss DD-7
Dunlop Crybaby
Carlsbro Phaser
I would get a ValvePower, It's essentially a clone of the Marshall 18w, The ValvePower is perfect for classic rock and with a boost it can do metal and it's only £300, all-handwired in England.

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Aye, the VC30 should do that well. Might be worth looking for a used orange rocker 30, very nice amps. Also check out vox AC15/30/night train, Blackhearts if you can find them here, I never have sadly. I'm not sure if the valvepower 18watter will have enough verasatility for you, it's kind of a one trick pony, but it does that one trick brilliantly. Maybe a Hayden MoFo, peavey classic 30/50...I think the VC30's pretty good for you though
EDIT: beaten on the valvepower
Quote by Jak Archer
I would get a ValvePower, It's essentially a clone of the Marshall 18w, The ValvePower is perfect for classic rock and with a boost it can do metal and it's only £300, all-handwired in England.

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/

this, if you'r in the UK.
Quote by ProgFolk12
I'm not sure if the valvepower 18watter will have enough verasatility for you, it's kind of a one trick pony, but it does that one trick brilliantly.

that would be my concern- i'd also say with a boost it can do 80s metal, not really modern metal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?