Hey everyone, first of all, i hope you won't have any problem reading this, it's probably going to be quite long and english isn't my mother tongue so there will probably be some grammar mistakes.

I'm 15, I picked up a guitar in july 2008, it was a no-brand instrument and it sucked I couldn't take lessons (it wasn't a money problem, more like a time problem) so i just practiced alone when i could.

I started playing seven nation army's and smoke on the water's riffs the first day i got that guitar, then i always got gradually better until i could play seek and destroy in its entirety (except part of the solo).

For christmas my parents decided to buy me a new guitar, so i bought an Ibanez RG. It's awesome. I'm now practicing full songs since this summer i found a band to play with.

Now, i want to start taking lessons this january, and my parents are willing to let me do it too.

But there's a problem with my aunt. Today i was practicing Sum 41's Still Waiting (Ok, not exactly hard the band planned to play it) and she came there asking "what are you doing?" (she always see me practicing various songs, but this time i was repeating a lot of times the verse until i could play it at full speed without mistakes).
I said: "What do you think? I'm playing a song" and she's like: "oh, ok, i couldn't figure out" (Actually i was playing it perfectly)

She would keep saying that i shouldn't imitate (right...imitate ) guitar players without knowing anything about music and just reading tabs because i'm not actually playing.

Then she started talking about how i should watch and imitate (!!!) hendrix and clapton rather than sum 41 (of course she didn't know them, i explained her who they were, and also that i play other stuff like metallica). The conversation ended with me yelling at her (you know nothing about music!) after i proved she didn't know bands like sonic youth, jethro tull, king crimson, etc... but only pink floyd and led zeppelin.

What should i do to convince her that practicing while i can't physically go to lessons is still good?

I'm sorry for the grammar mistakes.
I'm from Switzerland, english isn't my first language, i'm sorry for my spelling mistakes.
Lil' wayne sucks so bad that he's got to be in my avatar.
Last edited by MetallikSH at Jan 3, 2010,
Tell her that any practice is good. But she is right to a degree. It helps learning scales and the theory behind the songs, get on the internet and look up a few sites.
Lots of great guitarists never took lessons. I honestly believe that if you have something to learn from (in this case the music you listen to) then you can learn anything without a teacher. Your aunt may think Sum41 suck, or that they don't make music, but then she isn't making millions of dollars playing it is she.

Keep practising what you like, and don't worry about what others think of your style.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Lots of great guitarists never took lessons. I honestly believe that if you have something to learn from (in this case the music you listen to) then you can learn anything without a teacher. Your aunt may think Sum41 suck, or that they don't make music, but then she isn't making millions of dollars playing it is she.

Keep practising what you like, and don't worry about what others think of your style.

Why not just tell her that. Of course, learning from teacher is probably the most efficient way but there's still ways without one.

I kinda feel sorry for your aunt though. Doesn't seem to me like she didn't know anything about music (it's not like I know her though... ) just not that many bands. She even knew about tabs?

Oh well. Good luck
Well what experience has your aunt got?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Dude, your aunt was just trying to help. Never get upset at an adult for suggesting the music they grew up with because you will do the same in the future.

IMO, the music your aunt suggests will teach you a lot more about playing guitar (and music in general) than something like Sum41. It may not be what you like to listen to, but if your primary concern is to get better at guitar, you gotta be a bit more open-minded about trying different things.
Quote by MetallikSH
But there's a problem with my aunt. Today i was practicing Sum 41's Still Waiting (Ok, not exactly hard the band planned to play it) and she came there asking "what are you doing?" (she always see me practicing various songs, but this time i was repeating a lot of times the verse until i could play it at full speed without mistakes).
I said: "What do you think? I'm playing a song" and she's like: "oh, ok, i couldn't figure out" (Actually i was playing it perfectly)

She would keep saying that i shouldn't imitate (right...imitate ) guitar players without knowing anything about music and just reading tabs because i'm not actually playing.

Then she started talking about how i should watch and imitate (!!!) hendrix and clapton rather than sum 41 (of course she didn't know them, i explained her who they were, and also that i play other stuff like metallica). The conversation ended with me yelling at her (you know nothing about music!) after i proved she didn't know bands like sonic youth, jethro tull, king crimson, etc... but only pink floyd and led zeppelin.

What should i do to convince her that practicing while i can't physically go to lessons is still good?

I'm sorry for the grammar mistakes.
I think what she was trying to say is that you can benefit more as a musician form understanding what you're playing than from just learning from tabs.

Learning other peoples stuff from tab is all well and good, and if you just want to be able to play other peoples songs its good enough, but if you want to at some stage be able to write your own stuff, or improvise confidently, you'll find it a lot easier if you understand some of the theory behind what you're playing.

Watching and listening to guys like hendrix and clapton, and imitating their style, can teach you a lot.

Not knowing a bunch of bands doesn't mean she knows nothing about music - it just means she doesn't know those bands. Sounds to me like your aunt knows a bit about music, and was trying to help you out, but maybe didn't word it very well so it came out as if she was insulting you rather than trying to help.

If I was you I'd go make up with your aunt, and listen to what she has to say. You can take her advice and act on it and still carry on playing the music you enjoy alongside it. That way you get to play stuff you like, play stuff with your band, and expand your knowledge as a musician so you can start playing your own stuff as well as other peoples!
Jimi hendrix was completly self taught, he put his heart and soul into the guitar... If you do the same then you can get along just fine without any lessons.
and its ok to play stuff like Sum41, playing the guitar althogether is awsome!
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Quote by MetallikSH
The conversation ended with me yelling at her (you know nothing about music!) after i proved she didn't know bands like sonic youth, jethro tull, king crimson, etc... but only pink floyd and led zeppelin.

Quit worrying about winning a damned argument and start working on your people skills and common sense. Yours are severely lacking.

Does you Auntie run your life? Make your decisions for you? What does it matter if she's wrong? How does that affect your life?

She's family. Have some respect instead of acting like a pissy little bitch. There was no need to yell at her. What good does "proving her wrong" do other than cause unnecessary tension between family members? btw, people can know a ton about music and good ways to learn, without being familiar with all the artists. The only thing you "proved" is that you're a bigot.

Your parents are going to be providing lessons for you, so you'll have soon have some of the training your aunt thinks is necessary anyway. Meanwhile, just continue working on songs your own way and quit arguing with your aunt.

You might wanna apologize rather than re-open the argument. You seem incapable of convincing her logically without attempting to make her feel inferior. So don't even try. Just thank her for her opinion, but you see things differently. And just leave it at that. Agree to disagree.

Most importantly, stop being a jerk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Any sort of playing is practice but your really should try to learn the theory behind the songs your playing. Just reading tabs isn't very beneficial to learning how to compose your own songs. Your aunt might have limited music knowledge but she probably thought she was helping you. Just let it go.