Hey GGA!

I'm having a hard time choosing amp!

Either it's a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo or JCM 900 head.

The 6505+ is 555€ and I might get the JCM to 500€!

I play metal and I play in a band
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
I'd imagine that the Peavey would probably suit you better.

+1
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
You play rhythm or lead? Generally the peavey's better for chugging rhythm, the marshall's better for trebley lead.
They're both different sounding amps and to be fair, you should try them both out. I think that if you're a modern metaller that riffs like a mad man, then I'd go with the Peavey. It's a very tight and percussive kind of tone, great for palm muted riffs and the like. The Marshall, while not quite the heavy metal assault the 6505 is, can still do metal (with a boost). This amp would probably be suited better for 80s Hair Metal or early Thrash/Speed/Death genres. Also, I find the Marshall better for lead guitar playing or thick chords (Be careful with the 900s, it's easy to dial in too much treble/presence and make the amp too shrill) but obviously not quite as tight as a 6505.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I play more rhythm, I'm kinda bad at solos.

If I'm buying the Peavey, I'm gonna add maybe a Framus cab to it.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by Axeaman
I play more rhythm, I'm kinda bad at solos.

If I'm buying the Peavey, I'm gonna add maybe a Framus cab to it.

Jup the peavey by far.
If you want a nice thick 80ies hais metal sound than a jcm800 + boost will sound so much better than the jcm 900. I don't really like the 900es, they soudn kind of empty to me, even at high volumes.
The question is...British voicing or American voicing? British = consider the JCM900, American = take the Peavey. I say CONSIDER because in general I think the Peavey is overall a better amp.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by henis
Jup the peavey by far.
If you want a nice thick 80ies hais metal sound than a jcm800 + boost will sound so much better than the jcm 900. I don't really like the 900es, they soudn kind of empty to me, even at high volumes.

I always felt the 900s and late 3 channel 800s where similar enough and did 80s Hair pretty well.

The older 800s weren't gainy enough for that, great amps though. I've had a few vertical inputs.

But yeah anyways, TS, I think you'll probably enjoy the Peavey more. Plus you can still get a usable lead tone out of the 6505.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Aight, will the combo sounds exactly as the head?
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by WantsLesPaul
The 2x12 combo sounds like the head. I haven't used the new 1x12 model though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I've heard bad things about the clean channel, is it true?
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by WantsLesPaul
It's usable. You just need to play with the settings a little.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
That is a hard call. Seeing as how you are going to run it into a cabinet anyway that makes a head more appealing. I'd get the JCM myself because it's more versatile and well, I like them too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've been thinking that if I used the combo home and leave the cab at my band practice place.

With the JCM that isn't doable.
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Well, nothing really. It's just the voicing of the amp. It doesn't sound as 'metal' as the 6505. It's sits higher in the mids and is more punchy. The 6505 is more aggressive and has that cool low-mid crunch thing going on.

Think of a boosted 900 as like, Rage Against the Machine kind of tone or early Metallica records and the 6505 as more of an In Flames vibe.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, I play more modern metal.
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by WantsLesPaul
No, but you could just have a 1x12 cabinet for home for the same purpose.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You'd like the 6505 better. Sometimes the Marshall sound doesn't cut it, you know.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Ah, didn't think of that Cathbard!
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by Axeaman
Ah, didn't think of that Cathbard!

Keep in mind, you can run a combo into a cabinet.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yes I know.

But I think that I'm gonna buy the 6505+ now and if I for some reasons don't have enough power/volume I'm gonna buy a cab to it!
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by Axeaman
Yes I know.

But I think that I'm gonna buy the 6505+ now and if I for some reasons don't have enough power/volume I'm gonna buy a cab to it!

More speakers doesn't mean more power. More speakers just push more air (Which can sound like it's louder) and throw out your back!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
More speakers doesn't mean more power. More speakers just push more air (Which can sound like it's louder) and throw out your back!

That's what roadies are for.

Really this is so subjective, I don't particularly like American sounding amps, never have, but that's just personal taste. Trust your ears.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification