They both look similar to me, Edge III is Ibanez only I think and Floyd Rose is other brand but I mainly see them on Schecter. What are the differences between the two tremolo systems?
Apparently, you don't need to cut off the ball end of the strings on the Edge III.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
There are many different types of floating Floyd Roses. Alot of people say that a nice OFR (Original Floyd Rose) is better then an Edge III any day, but this could just because hating Edge III's is the cool thing to do these days. Everyone I've talked to that owns a guitar with an Edge III loves it. Whether it's better or not is an opinion, and also based on how much you pay for the Floyd Rose. (I've never used an Edge III, so I can't tell you firsthand.) One thing that people do seem to agree on about Edge III, is that they are made with cheaper quality metals, which means they wear down faster then a nice OFR.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
If hes talking about Edge 3s then im pretty sure hes talking about license Floyds too which doesnt mean its gonna be any better. The Edge 3s are decent. I think with the license floyds its hit or miss. They are equal and its all about opinion and prefrence.
Quote by biga29
There are many different types of floating Floyd Roses. Alot of people say that a nice OFR (Original Floyd Rose) is better then an Edge III any day, but this could just because hating Edge III's is the cool thing to do these days. Everyone I've talked to that owns a guitar with an Edge III loves it. Whether it's better or not is an opinion, and also based on how much you pay for the Floyd Rose. (I've never used an Edge III, so I can't tell you firsthand.) One thing that people do seem to agree on about Edge III, is that they are made with cheaper quality metals, which means they wear down faster then a nice OFR.

Lets say you decide between a $400 guitar with an Edge III tremolo system, and a $500 guitar with a Floyd Rose. Which one would be better? Let's just say the guitars are exactly the same just consider the tremolo systems, which would be better?
It depends on the floyd - which guitar is this?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Prodigy179
If hes talking about Edge 3s then im pretty sure hes talking about license Floyds too which doesnt mean its gonna be any better. The Edge 3s are decent. I think with the license floyds its hit or miss. They are equal and its all about opinion and prefrence.

Schecter uses OFRs, so no. Just no.
Quote by biga29
then a nice OFR.
There's no such thing as a 'nice' OFR. There's only one bridge that can be called an OFR (there are no good or bad OFRs; an OFR is an OFR). Each part (aside from the locking blocks and fine tuners) are made form steel and the whole unit is made in Germany. There are only two other bridges that can be mistakenly called an OFR: the FR-1000 and FR Special which are licensed to ESP/LTD. The FR-1000 is exactly the same as the OFR only it is pressed and assembled in Korea, the FR Special is the same again but with a thinner zinc sustain block instead of the normal steel sustain block. Those are the only two bridges that you could be forgiven for thinking were OFRs. Every other bridge - even the other double locking vibrato bridges made by Floyd Rose - is distinctly different in design and can't be called an OFR to any degree. Licensed Floyd copies are always clearly marked as Licensed copies and not OFRs.

Anyway, the Edge III is alright at first but the knife edges wear down very quickly, rendering it useless. An OFR, FR-1000, FR Special or any licensed Floyd copy that has a solid steel base plate and knife edges will hold tune much better for much longer.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Comparing an OFR to an Edge III is hardly a fair comparison. An Edge III will do its job admirably if it's set up correctly. If not, it'll suck. If the OFR is set up well, it will do its job admirably, but it will suck if it's set up wrong. That's the sticky bit of floating bridges. The OFR is better due to more durable metals and generally higher quality construction, but the Edge III will do just fine; the biggest difference that a player will notice (assuming both are set up well) is that the Edge III will wear out first.
id say edge III is better than most licensed tremolos but there is also edge pro and they compare to the original floyd rose. some licensed tremolos are awful and some are great.
edge III works for about 4-5 years then they tend to crap out.
The difference is in the materials. The Edge III is made of a lovely 5 year-old mozzarella while Floyd Rose uses hardened steel.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Schecter uses OFRs, so no. Just no.
and LFR's. watch what you say about Schecters around me.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by dsan224

Alright, the Omen I played had an FR special, which is a really nice quality bridge. Kills the Edge III.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.