Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone. I owned a Line 6 Spider III 150 watt combo for a year and a half, but I was fooled to get it by GC when I was a newbie. I realized how bad it sounded once I tried the tube amps out at GC a year later. Needless to say, I sold it 5 months ago, as it REALLY started to give me ear pains, and have had no amp since. I really miss having an amp, and now have the money to get it. Will you guys please help me?

I am hearing that the Jcm 800's cleans are sterile, but has great powerful distortion, but you have to really crank it. How does the Jcm 900 compare to the 800 in cleans and distortion? I was looking at the Jvm and loved the cleans, but the unit is rather pricey and I could use saving some money. You can get a Jcm 900 for fairly cheap, for it's quality,and I can get some great pedals with the money saved.. I really dig the unique Marshall sound, so please no other brands please.

So basically how is the JCM 900 overall. Are the cleans, and distortion very good? Can it easily get Metallica tones? How much does it have to be cranked to get these tones? I love all things Ozzy, Randy and Zakk, Metallica, G N R, Megadeth, ACDC etc..... Can any JCM 900 owners please chime in. Thanks to everyone for any help!
Last edited by modirnwarfare at Jan 3, 2010,
JCM800s sound sterile at low volumes, that's because it's a 50/100 watt amp that needs to be loud to rock n roll with.

900's are like boosted 800s with lower value, they don't sound as good, but they can do higher gain levels with the price of the lower gain sounding more boring.

You can easily get Metallica, Ozzy and GNR level gain with the 900 and 800.

I'd suggest trolling your craigslist to find a good used 800, but that's just my opinion
I'd personally recommend a JCM900 for you. Don't let anyone say they are bad amps, they are awesome amplifiers!

With you playing more metal and higher gain genres then certainly the 900 is a bit more suited for you, as well as sounding a bit better than the 800 at lower volumes.

Keep an eye out for the SL-X version of the 900'. It seems to be the most praised and sort after version.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Still haven't bought a JVM yet, modirn?

All you seem to do is make threads about Marshalls, and I'm fed up of seeing them. Go try them for yourself and actually buy one.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
The cleans on the 800 are anything but sterile.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I love the 900's cleans they totally kick and the distortion just blows everything away :P
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Quote by Juadafi
Still haven't bought a JVM yet, modirn?

All you seem to do is make threads about Marshalls, and I'm fed up of seeing them. Go try them for yourself and actually buy one.

Well, I just want to make sure I make the right purchase before throwing away 1000+ dollars. I can't even try one in any shops around here, they only carry newer amps and maybe some vintage ones. If it bugs you, how about quit coming in to my thread. Do you think the comment you made is going to have any positive effect for anyone?

Anyways, thanks everyone, so the 900's cleans are better? Also, the 900 handles higher gain better? Keep em' coming please
Quote by modirnwarfare
Well, I just want to make sure I make the right purchase before throwing awat 1000 dollars. I it bugs you then quit coming in to my thread. If the comment you made going to have any positive effect for anyone?

Use your own intuition, ear for tone and anything else you have going for you to decide what gear you want to buy.

Seriously, just go buy something, try it out in a store or SOMETHING instead of making 10+ threads about it over 3 months.

By the way, don't tell me how to contribute. The only posting you've ever done is in your own threads.
Quote by Juadafi
Use your own intuition, ear for tone and anything else you have going for you to decide what gear you want to buy.

Seriously, just go buy something, try it out in a store or SOMETHING instead of making 10+ threads about it over 3 months.

By the way, don't tell me how to contribute. The only posting you've ever done is in your own threads.

Well thanks for your positive thoughts/

Anyone else want to help?
It's quite easy to get a lot of distortion out of the preamp on a JCM900, to get power amp distortion (which is more ACDC type distortion than metal distortion) you have to deafen everybody in a one mile radius.
The cleans sound fine, quite nice really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Juadafi

First of all, he said he can't try one out in any local stores. Second, he's not gonna blindly buy an amp just to try it out. Third, where in the rules does it say that you can't ONLY post in your own threads? Fourth, you're not CONTRIBUTING to this thread by flaming him for asking many questions about Marshall amps. That's what the forums are for: questions.

As for your comparison, TS, I believe the 800 will give better vintage tones (Hendrix, Clapton, blues, etc), but I've never played either in person. The 900 is probably better for metal, punk. I'm not sure about how the cleans compare though.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Alright. Thanks for the input everyone. How loud is 50 watts on a tube amp, with say, a 1960a cab? On my Spider, it actually HURT when I turned it up, I read about solid state clipping causing this, so I will be very happy having an amp that I will actually WANT to turn up So, how loud is 50 watts on a tube amp?
Quote by gatechballer
First of all, he said he can't try one out in any local stores. Second, he's not gonna blindly buy an amp just to try it out. Third, where in the rules does it say that you can't ONLY post in your own threads? Fourth, you're not CONTRIBUTING to this thread by flaming him for asking many questions about Marshall amps. That's what the forums are for: questions.

I'm not denying that these forums aren't for questions, but he's already asked these questions before.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2346130
Quote by modirnwarfare
Alright. Thanks for the input everyone. How loud is 50 watts on a tube amp, with say, a 1960a cab? On my Spider, it actually HURT when I turned it up, I read about solid state clipping causing this, so I will be very happy having an amp that I will actually WANT to turn up So, how loud is 50 watts on a tube amp?

50 watts tube is going to be very loud with ANY speakers. The 800 is your best bet for these tones if you HAVE to go Marshall. You need to boost it though, because it doesn't have as much gain as many people think. Regardless, why don't you want anything other than Marshall? Amps like Splawn and Laney sound very similar to Marshall when distorted, if not better, and certainly better on the clean channel. (At least in terms of modern Marshalls in your price range).

And yeah, you're making way too many threads with the exact same questions. You're clearly not gaining anything from these threads if you keep making them, so just go try out amps at your local stores and pick the one that sounds best to YOUR ears, don't worry about the brand. I bet you couldn't even tell a Marshall from any other similar amp, so go and buy something you like.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by modirnwarfare

That's just not true. It's the fact that 150w, tube or SS gets to a volume level of "IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!".

A 50w tube amp is extremely loud. At full volume, you're looking at hearing loss.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a 100W JCM900 and really I would have preferred the 50W but the 100Wer was offerred to me at an insane price. 50W is extremely loud and has the added advantage of costing half as much to retube the output stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by oneblackened
That's just not true. It's the fact that 150w, tube or SS gets to a volume level of "IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!".

A 50w tube amp is extremely loud. At full volume, you're looking at hearing loss.

True dat. I don't think he would have actually heard any solid state power amp clipping, as by that point the sheer volume coming out of his amp would have distracted him from the quality of his tone
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
JCM900's cleans are different than 800's. You'll need to hear them to know the difference. All of 'em are different than JVM cleans.

Done?

Also, 50 watts of tube is ridiculously loud. You can't really crank that in your home with your family or non-amazing neighbors, I assure you.

Yep, done.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by ibz_bucket
True dat. I don't think he would have actually heard any solid state power amp clipping, as by that point the sheer volume coming out of his amp would have distracted him from the quality of his tone

My 1600W PA power amp clips all the time
Isn't there a version of the 900 that you can play at 25W? How does that sound at bedroom volumes?
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Isn't there a version of the 900 that you can play at 25W? How does that sound at bedroom volumes?

25w is still a bit overpowered for home use, the biggest tube amp I'd even CONSIDER using as a practice amp is 10w.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Juadafi
My 1600W PA power amp clips all the time

If that's the case, maybe it works differently than a guitar amplifier? I know that sounds stupid, but the 120W SS Guitar Amp I had never clipped, even at volume level 7 or 8, which was earsplitting.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
If that's the case, maybe it works differently than a guitar amplifier? I know that sounds stupid, but the 120W SS Guitar Amp I had never clipped, even at volume level 7 or 8, which was earsplitting.

Well, I concede that when I run it as a PA it's 600W per channel. In the same room I have my guitar amp in, it's ear splitting, but in any gig venue it's actually too quiet for vocals over a drum kit.
Quote by Juadafi
Well, I concede that when I run it as a PA it's 600W per channel. In the same room I have my guitar amp in, it's ear splitting, but in any gig venue it's actually too quiet for vocals over a drum kit.

I'm not really trying to argue with you. I'm just saying that in my experience, a solid state amp of more than a certain amount of wattage will never need to be turned up enough in order for it to clip. Regardless, the thread is about TS' questions regarding Marshall amps. Those have been answered, and despite the fact that he/she (probably he) should really consider amps other than Marshall for what he wants to play, it's out of our hands now.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Call me crazy, but my JCM800 sounds pretty decent at low volume levels. Sure it sounds way better turned up, but between my Spyder III and the 800 turned down low, I'd take the 800.
Quote by CaptDin
Call me crazy, but my JCM800 sounds pretty decent at low volume levels. Sure it sounds way better turned up, but between my Spyder III and the 800 turned down low, I'd take the 800.

That's another valid point that needs to be made more often about tube amps. The misconception is that they actually sound bad at low volumes. The fact is that they still sound good, just not as good as when the power tubes are pushed (If you're into overdrive).
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
The cleans on the 900 I have are pretty ridiculously good. I mean like to me they are very underrated, probably just a small step under Fender clean. I did put 6L6 power tubes in mine though.

As for the overdrive, with an overdrive pedal I can hit pretty much everything. 80's thrash, Nu metal, Groove, some Death just not too well. Modern Metal is not it's high point but it is much better at all these except for 80's thrash than the 800. If you need more versatility than the 900 is better I think for that.

As for wattage, I have the 50 watt version and it is plenty loud for practicing with a drummer and whatnot. Haven't gigged with it though, I imagine it would be fine. I don't use the 25 watt setting at home their because it sucks tone pretty badly. Another thing, the effects loop isn't very good. I use to run my chorus and flanger in it as well as my eq and delay and it sucked a lot of the tone out of the overdrive channel. Now I run the chorus and flanger out in front of the amp and left the eq and delay in the loop and it's fine.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by ibz_bucket
That's another valid point that needs to be made more often about tube amps. The misconception is that they actually sound bad at low volumes. The fact is that they still sound good, just not as good as when the power tubes are pushed (If you're into overdrive).

That's always been my experience. But for some reason on UG I keep hearing people talk about how much a 50w tube amp's gonna suck at low volume levels so they want a low-watt amp. Their loss I guess.
I am getting so much info from this thread thanks everyone. Does it matter if I get a 1960a from like 1990, 93, 95 2009, etc...? which cab would pair well with a 900? Thanks.
^ Get a used 1960a. The older, the better.

The new ones are made with MDF and only have plywood for the speaker baffle, which is teh sux.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by modirnwarfare
I am getting so much info from this thread thanks everyone. Does it matter if I get a 1960a from like 1990, 93, 95 2009, etc...? which cab would pair well with a 900? Thanks.

It doesn't really matter too much, the main difference is gonna be the speakers, but a lot of people say the older ones are built better.
Quote by modirnwarfare
Woah, I just read that the JCM 900 has diodes? Solid State parts in it?

So does the Silver Jubilee, which is widely regarded as one of the BEST Marshalls ever.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
So does the Silver Jubilee, which is widely regarded as one of the BEST Marshalls ever.

Ok, I feel better now What are the diodes purpose in this amp?
more clipping, I believe. That's how it gets so much gain.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Don't be scared of diodes, a whole bunch of amps use them.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Ok guys, I am going to get the Jcm 900. It's basically a modded 800, more gain, better cleans, and all around more versatile for me. Can anyone give me details on the difference between the models? SLX, MK III, Dual Reverb etc....?
Quote by oneblackened
25w is still a bit overpowered for home use, the biggest tube amp I'd even CONSIDER using as a practice amp is 10w.

Well, I mean at lower volumes. A lot of higher gain amps rely on preamp gain so need very little power amp distortion.

Also is it easy to use an attenuator with a 900 combo?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=marshall+jcm900

Sorry, I had to do it. But seriously, there's a lot of resources on the internet that can be accessed easily via google.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Page 1 of 2