Purchasing a new guitar

SUMMERIZED VERSION AT THE BOTTOM

alright im thinking about purchasing a guitar. In the future sometime. it'll be my first guitar that im actually paying for.

I've been looking at the musicman John petrucci model and the musicman Luke. i have already tried out the John Petrucci and i really find it comfortable. i also like some guitars by jackson not with the thin thin necks tho. i dont however like ibanez. i really dont like the "wizard" neck. i have big hands and i need somewhere to rest the palm of my hand when im playing. i find the body on my les paul a bit small too compared to other guitars so i want something a bit bigger.

i like the setup on the john petrucci i like the look and asthetic as well i really like the asthetic on the Luke as well the contrasting colours of the black emgs look great with the solid coloured painted finishes. and i really think that i'd like that guitar ALLOT with the same setup as the petrucci. dimarzio d-sonic in the bridge and liquifire in the neck, stereo capabilitys, pickup coil splitting, piezo pickup ect. as well as where the pickup selector switches are located.

im kindof wishing i could draw out a guitar for musicman and get them to custom make it but that would cost way over 5000 right. 4000's my budjet (im applying for a job and am hoping to get it soon so making this money shouldnt take me more then a year) the guitar i have now i great for learning and lessons but its not perfect.

what i am basically asking is? What would you guys recommend me doing. what guitars do you think i should be looking at. i mainly listen to lead oriented stuff. John petrucci is probably my favourite guitarists and i think was probably my main influence, listening to Dream theater stuff was really what made me think "i'd like to learn guitar and play like they do!" (i listened to them allot at the time i wanted to learn how to play the guitar.) I want to someday hopefully play in a band that plays that same sortof style. so thers the info.

my favourite pickups would probably be dimarzio's they have a great smooth lead sound. which i really like. they are also a bit darker sounding then duncans (which i like) and have a bit more mid range from what i've heared. EMG's i dont know much about. I think they're probably ok sounding but i dont really know if i like that sortof fake processed compressed sound they give off. and i prefer matte finishes (but most guitars in that price range should be something that "if i want a different colour/finish i can get it"

one side note: i like guitars with unfished necks. i hate my les paul for the reason that it has a finished neck. and i dont like the bridge, i dont like the edges, i dont like how my pickup selector switch wiggles around everywhere. i dont mind the way it sounds its very tonal. but the muddy pickups could definatly be improved.

SUMMERIZED:
-i like the guitars: musicman john petrucci, musicman luke, some offerings from jackson.
- number of fret preference:24 (i eventually want to get into more lead oriented stuff)
-low action ( i think we all want that)
-style: metal,progressive,blues
-current guitar: Gibson les paul
-Amp: marshall jcm 2000 tsl 602, Line 6 spyder 3, EVENTUALLY WANT TO GET fryette pitbull CLX
Quote by Dio10101
4000? God, why don't you just go buy a guitar center? Go for the petrucci if u like it so much.

the petrucci at my local guitar center is almost 3000. if i can get something custom for 1000 dollars more that i know im gunna really like then i will. i just want to know if i can and/or what would be some alternatives.
If you have $4000 to spend on a guitar, just buy whatever, if you don't like it when you get home you can just buy something else... I guess. I actually don't think I will ever have that much money for anything

Quote by WtrPlyr
With that kinda money go custom.

Okay, this is annoying me now I mist be real slow...
Last edited by phan at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by phan
If you have $4000 to spend on a guitar, just buy whatever, if you don't like it when you get home you can just buy something else... I guess. I actually don't think I will ever have that much money for anything

Okay, this is annoying me now I mist be real slow...

Im just guessing i'll have that by the end of the year. cuz i have applied for a job and im hoping im gunna get it. theres a good chance because i do allot of volunteering. And im not just going to keep buying guitars lol but thats a good idea if your looking to start a collection of guitars i guesse. im just wanting to upgrade from my current guitar
Last edited by zappmi35 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by WtrPlyr
With that kinda money go custom.

i would but what company would make me a custom guitar with the features/setup/ frets/nut. of the John petrucci guitar with the asthetic of the Luke guitar
With that kind of budget, for playing Metal, Progressive and Blues, i'd definitely go for a Paul Reed Smith. A PRS Custom 24, most probably.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112