Hey guy,
I'm the singer (and guitarist) for my starting band.I take voice lessons and have been singing for a few years, but the problem I have is my tone. When it comes to classical or operatic type stuff I'm fine, but when I'm singing rock music it sounds kinda mediocre.

Any tips?
(I'm 14 and a baritone if that helps.)
I enjoy Music

Do you have a recording? Even something done with a webcam or something, singing along with a Karaoke version of something from iTunes or whatever?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Do you have a recording? Even something done with a webcam or something, singing along with a Karaoke version of something from iTunes or whatever?

CT
This. We can't really help you if we can't hear how you sing now.

A tip, though: A lot of rock/metal singers do unhealthy things to their voices by singing with improper form.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 3, 2010,
sing one of your own songs, or a song that closley resembles the type of music you would like to create...something from the saem genre
Ennunciating everything extremely crisply should help you get more of a rock sound.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Simplest way is making sure there is enough air behind your vocals. Sing from your diaphram to make sure you are getting enough power to your vocal chords.
A tip, though: A lot of rock/metal singers do unhealthy things to their voices by singing with improper form.
This is very true, I myself am guilty of it. It would alos help to know what kind of style you are going for being that "Rock" is a very, very broad genre of music.
I'm guessing that you're talking about having no grit in your voice. You're gonna have to push a little harder than you're used to. This is hard to explain because having solid grit is entirely based on feel; it's a little like trying to teach someone to whistle. It involves a little bit of tension, but not enough to cut off the note completely or cause you physical harm, just enough to get some breakup. I'm sorry I can't be more help to you, it's very difficult to explain. I guess I kind of feel it around my soft palate.
When I sing with grit, I create it in the back of my throat (at least that's the best way I can describe it). You are going to have to push a little more than you are used to. Also at 14 Im not sure if your voice has fully devolped yet and adding grit might do harm, so if you are bent on doing this then drink alot of water. I mean a lot, before you sing, while you sing, after you sing. Drink until you have to pee every 30 minutes and than drink some more. DO not drink anything else but water on days you are singing.