I used to have this guitar teacher who could learn how to play a song just by listening to it and not even needing tabs or sheet music. How can I learn how to do this? He lived in Florida and I am now in New York so it's not like I can go ask him. Thanks.
I don't believe there is an exact science to it. It just comes with really knowing your instrument and having a very well-developed ear.
Once you find what key a song is in it's usually not to difficult. Having good relative pitch training will certainly help.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
I usually try to find the key first by figuring out the clearest melody, normally the vocal melody, of the song. I do that by finding the notes on my guitar, i'll hear the note, slide up the string till i get it, and find the rest of the melody, usually that's enough for me to know what key its in. Then it helps you narrow down what chords are being used, but you still need to listen really carefully for the slight differences

it helps if you have been playing your instrument for a long time, otherwise you'll never pick up on the minute variations

i.e to find a chord, usually you'll know the root note if you hum the chord, and build from there. major, minor, 7th, etc. i do this all with my guitar obviously, so if its a piano song or anything else i dont know if this would help
What if the artist uses a capo for a particular song? How would you pick up on that by ear, without watching a video of them playing it on youtube or something?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
At the very beginning basically play all notes on your instrument chromatically until one fits
Using your ear in combination with your theoretical knowledge is the key here.

The first one I learned by ear was "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath. I hit the first chord randomly and it fit and then I went from there, kept on trying to play along to it 'till it fit.

You really need to practice it but it's really worth the rewards.
I haven't used tabs since 4 months after I began playing guitar, that's when the Paranoid thing happened and I kept on going by ear from then on
If its metal, theres 4/5 chance its in E Minor(or the lowest open string note). Otherwise you just have to develop your ear to remember certain pitches. Or relative pitch training. Memorizing what an interval sounds like, then you just need to find one of the notes and you can figure the rest of it out.
And... when you hear a chord change the note of the vocal line is always a root, third or fifth of that chord.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I would start with intervals.

If you determine the first note is C (trial and error at this point) and you can tell the next note is a major third from the previous note, the note is obviously a E.
Quote by hendrixfreak93
What if the artist uses a capo for a particular song? How would you pick up on that by ear, without watching a video of them playing it on youtube or something?

Listen for the open strings. That'll tell you where to put the capo.
Quote by 08L1V10N
And... when you hear a chord change the note of the vocal line is always a root, third or fifth of that chord.

No, not always.

I recommend looking at this .
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Yea theirs no science to it, it just comes with practice, you could also try this program called Earmaster 5. It seriously is well worth it and developes a good ear if you used it regularly and are serious about it. I think it costs $40 but theirs ways around that that I can't say in here but you could pm me if your interested in it.
Quote by KileManA7X
I used to have this guitar teacher who could learn how to play a song just by listening to it and not even needing tabs or sheet music. How can I learn how to do this? He lived in Florida and I am now in New York so it's not like I can go ask him. Thanks.

You just do it man. Its either one not or other.... really... thats all it is.

Start with something easy. Like No Class by Motorhead.... or anything by AC/DC seriously.

VERY simple stuff to get your ears training and familiar with the notes and where they might be.

It'll come natural, just need patience.

I figured out Riding on the Wind by Judas Priest the other day, it took me more than a few minutes for sure but I got it haha. Definitly not a hard song.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!