Alright, here's my situation. If anyone knows a solution or has any ideas I'd love any help I can get.

For the past couple months I've been searching for a new amp with the tone I'm looking for. I'm pretty picky, and with my band I typically use 4 tones ranging from clean to real dirty lead stuff. I finally sat down with a Peavey Classic 30 and decided that was the amp I wanted to run...but I want to run two of them in order to essectially have the 4 channels and different gain levels. So I was going to pick up a second classic 30 and 2 1x12 cabinets loaded with celestion v30's.

But here's the problem...I have a pretty big pedal board that I want to run out the FX loop of the amp (cuz it sounds like crap if I just run the guitar through the fx into the amp). So is there any way that I can run both amps (with a A/B box so only one would be running at a time), and be using the FX loop???

Obviously I could just plug the guitar into the fx chain, stick an A/B at the end, and go into the input of each amp...but like I said, when the gain is up it distorts the fx and sounds crappy.

Anyone have any ideas how to get my guitar right into the input of the amp(s), and the fx in the loop of each amp? Any help would be awesome!
Give us a min, I'll make a diagram of what I think you need.

Something like that?
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Last edited by Juadafi at Jan 3, 2010,
the diagram will work...or you could run a wet/dry setup. where you only run the effects through one amp...thats how I used to do it when I had a stereo rig.
Honestly im not sure that throwing all of those splitter boxes into an effects loop is a good idea. I just dont think it would work, i could be totally wrong here though. The easiest thing to do would be to get something like this..... http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm .It would be much simpler to use and would for sure sound better, and honestly i think having those splitter boxes will burn out your amp.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by schtick_bomb
Honestly im not sure that throwing all of those splitter boxes into an effects loop is a good idea. I just dont think it would work, i could be totally wrong here though. The easiest thing to do would be to get something like this..... http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm .It would be much simpler to use and would for sure sound better, and honestly i think having those splitter boxes will burn out your amp.

I think he just wanted to run the same pedal board in the effects loop of two amps.
Right.... i understand that.... But think about it, in that diagram you have one amp in the effects loop of another amp. That cant be good for either one. I know a gcx is slightly overkill but its really the best way to do it. That diagram could work but you would need switchable splitters, and you would have to stomp on three different boxes just to use the effects loop of a certain amp, with the gcx, one stomp and you could switch amps and effects loops at once.
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by schtick_bomb

Why? How would it burn out the amp in anyway?

TS how I would do it, as I was thinking about something like this as well:
a/b/y box 1: guitar split to amps
a/b/y box 2 split the fx loop. I'm not 100% sure you'll have to see if someone more tech savvy comes in but I imagine you could wire up an A/B/Y box to work with 2 inputs & outputs.

EDIT:
Quote by schtick_bomb
Right.... i understand that.... But think about it, in that diagram you have one amp in the effects loop of another amp. That cant be good for either one. I know a gcx is slightly overkill but its really the best way to do it. That diagram could work but you would need switchable splitters, and you would have to stomp on three different boxes just to use the effects loop of a certain amp, with the gcx, one stomp and you could switch amps and effects loops at once.

Look carefully, there is a splitter at the end of the board as well that sends the signal back into the return of both amps, which means it should probably be okay.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Jan 3, 2010,
Ok we all know and effects loop is in between the pre and power amp. So if your sending a signal from amp 1's pre amp into the power amp of amp 2 it never has the chance of returning to amp 1 UNLESS you have a 3 switchers, which like i said before you would have to first switch amps, then the other 2 so that the signal from amp one wont just dead end into the other amp.

Quote by schtick_bomb
Ok we all know and effects loop is in between the pre and power amp. So if your sending a signal from amp 1's pre amp into the power amp of amp 2 it never has the chance of returning to amp 1 UNLESS you have a 3 switchers, which like i said before you would have to first switch amps, then the other 2 so that the signal from amp one wont just dead end into the other amp.

That's what's shown in the diagram..
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

You could probably make a box where one switch would change all three A/B boxes. My diagram was the way to do it with the least effort beforehand, though.

EDIT: Actually, not having a switch after the board might not be a bad idea..

They're both the same amp, so, in theory, it doesn't matter if you run #1's Pre into #2's Power.
Last edited by Juadafi at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by SimplyBen
That's what's shown in the diagram..

Right... and that would mean stepping on three boxes just to switch, if ts wants to do that more power to him.... i was simply offering another easier suggestion.

Quote by Juadafi
EDIT: Actually, not having a switch after the board might not be a bad idea..

They're both the same amp, so, in theory, it doesn't matter if you run #1's Pre into #2's Power.

all of the splitters i have used that arent switchable suck your tone like crazy, for that diagram to work and sound good you need 3 switchable a/b boxes. And yes running the signal through another amp might not damage it, i just wouldnt do it with my amps... thats all im going to say...

Last edited by schtick_bomb at Jan 3, 2010,
Wow, I'm pumped we have this many people in on the thread, thanks all!!!

So yeah, I though of doing an A/B to send the guitar to the input of each amp, and then an A/B/Y set to both at each end of the loop. That would only require stepping on the A/B box connected to the guitar to switch between the amp, cuz the A/B/Y's would always be on both and essentially always be sending signal to each amp. That way the only thing that causes one amp to not be producing sound is that the A/B box isn't sending signal to the input even tho the A/B/Y's are sending signal to the fx loop.

SO...that's really complicated and I don't know what sorta noise and such that would cause, not to mention hard on the bank account. I was hoping that there was a solution besides a whole bunch of switch boxes that I wasn't aware of, but it seems like that's the only big option.

Not to just bail on the whole idea, but I think I'm gonna start the search for a good OD pedal or two to throw in the mix and then just run a classic 50. I like the thread tho, any bright ideas keep them coming.
Just get a really nice Engl or something with 4 great channels, or maybe 3 with an overdrive and an effects loop and you'll be set. Granted budget is always limiting what you can do.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE