Hey guys
Just wondering if heavier strings or lighter strings on an electric guitar are more likely to experience fret buzz?
Sorry for the noob question! But i was wondering!

Cheers!
well, if you're using light strings and are downtuned, they will be very loose and can cause some fretbuzz. but if not, it should not matter (i think).
lol

a properly setup guitar(for the req`d tuning) will not exhibit any fret buzz regardless of string guage.

that`s why you specify tuning and string guage when taking it to a tech.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jan 3, 2010,
Ah ok cheers man , so people who use drop d for example would have to use heavier strings than those who just use standard?
Not always. Depends on what you find most comfortable. Stevie Ray Vaughan used .13s for E Standard and Eb Standard tuning. Lots of other people use .09s or even .08s for the same thing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
you dont have to but its all preference. for example i play in drop d myself and like my strings a little thicker then normal 10's so i use skinny top heavy bottom ernie ball strings. theyre awesome strings u should use these
you wont have to worry about changing string gauges too much when changing from standard to drop d
Awesome cheers for that insight.
Because my strings atm are the factory strings that came with my new electric guitar i recieved after buying online about 5 days ago. Maybe that could be the reason for fret buzz?

Or truss rod which i have had alot of guidance about and/or action.
Ahhhhh , i wish there was a simple way to find the cause of fret buzz :P
Quote by Zoofie
Because my strings atm are the factory strings that came with my new electric guitar i recieved after buying online about 5 days ago. Maybe that could be the reason for fret buzz?

Ahhhhh , i wish there was a simple way to find the cause of fret buzz :P

what type of guitar? what strings, what frets are buzzing?

it's not the string gauge.

your guitar might need some adjustments.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Zoofie

Ahhhhh , i wish there was a simple way to find the cause of fret buzz
:P

there is, fret buzz in caused when you fret a note and the string rattles against a higher fret, you should know that a properly adjusted truss rod should have a bow in it (neck relief), and how to check for it (there`s a method in the setup sticky), and how to check for high frets (use a straight edge-like a metal ruler), action adjustments will relieve the symptoms but most peeps like a really low action (not so low as to kill sustain)

the easy way is find the fret it`s buzzing at, check the truss rod then check for a high fret/high spot on the fret.
Ibanez ART300.
The strings i have no idea what they are , they feel pretty light. But they are the strings that came with the guitar from the factory as i didn't buy from a guitar shop. So that may be the problem.

Its only on the bottom E string on the lower frets.
they`ll be daddario exl 120 9-42...factory fitted on all 6 string electric unless specified in the catalogue.
Sounds to me like you just need to raise your action slightly. If it's just the one string and it's at the lower frets, that's not a neck relief (truss rod) problem or an issue with uneven frets (which would need a fret dressing).
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ah kk cheers for your help.
Just one more question quickly. When raising the action at the bridge , say the bottom E is buzzing but the others aren't , would it harm the guitar to just slightly raise one side of the bridge? (using just one screw)?

So the strings are higher at the bottom e than the high e side
It's fine to raise the bridge on just one side. You may find you only have to raise it a tiny fraction of a millimetre on one side to stop the fretbuzz.
Quote by Jackamedmos
check the truss rod and action
The truss rod isn't something that needs to be (or at least, shouldn't need to be) checked in regards to fret buzz or action. The truss rod should be set to match the string tension, so long as it's doing that it should be left alone.
well, you don't want the bridge to be ****-eyed titled. but you can cheat a bit to one side.

also.

you have to consider your fretting technique and the fact the a bridge adjustment isn't going to fix all your problems if it's the first few frets buzzing.

lastly,

buzz that does not transmit thru the amp is generally not considered a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I dont know what style bridge you have the artcore, but on a fender style bridge each string has its own saddle to adjust and kinda the same on a tune-o-matic

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by OctoberWind
I dont know what style bridge you have the artcore, but on a fender style bridge each string has its own saddle to adjust and kinda the same on a tune-o-matic

he said what guitar he has, and that it's not individually adjustable.
and no TOM bridges are not like that at all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62