Hi. As the title says, I need help with my pedalboard. I have 9 pedals on it, and the current total setup of everything is as follows:

(Amp ---> Pedalboard ---> Dunlop Crybaby ---> EH Big Muff Pi ---> Ibanez Tube Screamer ---> Danelectro FAB Chorus ---> EH #1 Echo ---> EH Micro Small Stone Phaser ---> EH Nano Q-Tron ---> Zvex Fuzz Factory ---> Digitech Whammy ----> Pedalboard ---> Guitar)

The problem however, I can't seem to figure out. Whenever I play, using this exact set-up, the overall volume of the amp/anything else is greatly lessend. Furthermore, the pedals all work, just they aren't as loud as they're supposed to be. I have also tried each of the pedals on their own, seperate from the pedal chain, and they all work perfectl when played like that.

If you can help me fix my pedalboard in anyway, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Have you checked the output volume on all the pedals are level which each other?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
Have you checked the output volume on all the pedals are level which each other?

Yes, i've made sure of it.
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
Yup long signal chain. and contributing factors in the form of the whammy and poor bypass of the crybaby at the end?

Do a jack white and stick an MXR Micro Amp in there.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jan 3, 2010,
So, the only way I can get my board to work right again with EVERY pedal, im going to have to buy a signal boost or a micro amp?
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
yup

even though every connection and patch cable only has a resistance of a few micro-ohms, it adds up after 9 pedals.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Alright, cool. Thanks for the help.

Quote by ze monsta
By the way, why the very strange pedal order?

Strange? In what ways?
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
Last edited by JackWhite333 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by ze monsta
That's not neccesary.

No but it's beneficial, and will keep the signal chain a bit cleaner.
I've noticed quite a big volume drop with some modulation pedals too!
Quote by JackWhite333
Alright, cool. Thanks for the help.

Strange? In what ways?

In like, every way. It goes like dirt, modulation, delay, modulation, dirt.
Not really a logical order. Maybe get your pedals in a more obvious order and maybe that will fix the problem.

Also next time you list your signal chain, start with the guitar and work your way to the amp instead of the other way around, it's more clear for other people.

Try this order:
Guitar -> Whammy -> Q-tron -> Crybaby -> Tube Screamer -> Big Muff -> Fuzz Factory -> Phaser -> Chorus -> #1 Echo -> Amp.
i wouldn't get a signal boost until you've checked its not an individual patch lead thats dodgey!
Quote by WtrPlyr
Not really a logical order. Maybe get your pedals in a more obvious order and maybe that will fix the problem.

Also next time you list your signal chain, start with the guitar and work your way to the amp instead of the other way around, it's more clear for other people.

Try this order:
Guitar -> Whammy -> Q-tron -> Crybaby -> Tube Screamer -> Big Muff -> Fuzz Factory -> Phaser -> Chorus -> #1 Echo -> Amp.

Fuzz factory shouldn't go that far down the chain imo

I would go for:
Guitar > Whammy > Fuzz Factory > Crybaby > Tubescreamer > Big Muff > Phaser > Chorus > 1# Echo > Amp

And possibly move the phaser before dirt, depending how you like it.
You could try upgrading your patch cables. If your using really cheap ones they can rob you quite a bit over 9 pedals. Remember your signal chain is only as strong as its weakest link. IF your using batteries try getting a 1spot daisy chain or other power source. That will make sure all the pedals are consistently at full power and save money on batteries. If you go the route of the signal boost it should go at the end of your chain to boost the signal that you lost from going through all the buffers.
Sig What?
Last edited by darth awsome at Jan 3, 2010,
I think I may have listed my pedals in the wrong order...As I have it now, the Whammy and the Cry Baby are at the start and end of the board, both connecting to the pedalboard, and the pedalboard goes to both the amp and the guitar. I have a pic of the board on the front page of my profile (without the Zvex..it is right between the Q-TRON and the Digitech)..so you can see what I mean.
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
Quote by JackWhite333
I think I may have listed my pedals in the wrong order...As I have it now, the Whammy and the Cry Baby are at the start and end of the board, both connecting to the pedalboard, and the pedalboard goes to both the amp and the guitar. I have a pic of the board on the front page of my profile (without the Zvex..it is right between the Q-TRON and the Digitech)..so you can see what I mean.

No, your pedalboard doesn't go to your amp and guitar. It only goes to your amp.

You do know the sound comes from your guitar and goes, through cables and through possible effects, to the amp right?
Quote by WtrPlyr
No, your pedalboard doesn't go to your amp and guitar. It only goes to your amp.

You do know the sound comes from your guitar and goes, through cables and through possible effects, to the amp right?

Nevermind, I just realized I described that wrong lol. I'm not sure if my Digitech is the front or the back of my chain, though.
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
Alright, so my set-up in the first post is wrong. It's:

(Guitar ----> Whammy ---> Zvex Fuzz Factory ---> Q-Tron ---> EH Micro Small Stone ---> EH #1 Echo ---> Danelectro FAB Chorus ---> Ibanez Tube Screamer ---> EH Big Muff Pi ---> Dunlop Crybaby ---> Amp)

So, with the suggestions from you guys, which pedals should I change the order of?
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
Quote by ze monsta
See earlier, we gave you our suggestions...

Several of you gave me different suggestions. I can't follow all at the same time...
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
Does your amp have volume problems when you're not plugged into your board?

Are you using batteries or a power supply?

Honestly, If I was having volume problems while bypassed, I'd check for cold solder joints in some of the pedals, specifically the Big Muff and the other EHX pedals.

If it's quite while stuff is on, and it's not cold solder joints, I'd turn everything up to 10 and then see which pedal is decreasing volume by removing one at a time.

Simple trouble shooting is simple.

Quote by WtrPlyr

Try this order:

Personally, I'd put the modulation effects before the dirt boxes. Especially if there's a buffer in between, because I bet that setup would squeel like a stuck pig with the wah (or even envelope filter) on at the same time as either of the fuzzes.

Quote by kyle62
What amp are you using? These should really be in the FX loop:

Danelectro FAB Chorus ---> EH #1 Echo ---> EH Micro Small Stone Phaser ---> EH Nano Q-Tron

Why would you put an envelope filter in the loop?
traditionally, you go wah/filters -> dirt -> modulation ->delay/verb, but its open to variation. pitchshifting probably wants to go at the start, some people like wah later, and some people do things totally differently.

seriously, set your pedals up however you like. there are very good reasons to ignore the conventional setup.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Alright, I re-ordered my pedalboard and I fixed the problem. I guess it had something to do with the way I had it before...but anyway, it's currently setup like this:

Guitar ---> Whammy ---> Zvex ----> Crybaby ---> Tube Screamer ---> Big Muff ---> Phaser ---> Chorus ---> Q-Tron ---> Echo ---> Amp.
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr