Me and the drummer from my band are planning on building a custom rig as my current bass rig is two combos both processing my bass signal.
We're planning on taking the Amp section out of one of my current amps and fitting it into a new unit and rack mounting it.
We're then going to put a DBX Single Channel 31-Band Graphic Equalizer.
http://www.dbxpro.com/131/131.php
and finally hooking it up to a seperate power amp for more power as my current amps aren't loud enough. this is all going to be rack mounted

we're also building an 8x10 cab with a 15" cab as well.

im just posting this to get feedback on what people think about this rig.
lmao Sounds a bit complicated for a bass player and drummer to do!

Sounds cool though, put pics on when its done!!
thanks
lol. no my drummer works with pa systems and rack gear for a living so its not going to be hard we have a load of spare equipment to do it with
Sounds a bit stupid actually.
Why would you need a 1x15 with an 8x10?
What amps are you using
Wouldnt it easier, quicker, more reliable and probably cheaper to get something decenbt thats already produced.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Personally I wouldnt go with that speaker combination. Besides it being total overkill, that would be a beast to lug around everywhere. Id go with a 4x10 and a 15 at the most.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
the 15 wont be used with the 8x10 its just to allow us another option for different gigs and the reason im not buying an existing product is because i've already spent the money i have to spend on an MIA P Bass
we're using parts out of an old carlsbro viper 150 that im currently having to rely on as my other amp broke.
Oh! Well, that is perfectly fine. As long as your drummer knows what he is doing, I dont see any reason why It should not work. Just make shure you use the right speakers (not guitar speakers) and you make the impendance compatible with the head.
Last edited by c3powil at Jan 3, 2010,
So your taking your preamp, making a line matching box, putting it through a 31 band eq and a poweramp into an 8x10/1x15.
What speakers are you using and crossover. If your 8x10 works youll have to send me plans.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
we haven't got round to finalizing all the plans yet and the speakers and the crossover are the next things we trying to decide on so when we are done with the designs i will post them on here.
any recommendations?
Eminence delta lite 10's Not sure on the crossover havent used to many. Been doing some home experiment though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yea, definately post plans. I may be building my own cab, too...
Can i actually advise, making a 4x10 or 2x10 and 1x15 first. A 8x10 is very big and un-needed in today's music. It will also be difficult to build and cost a lot more then a decent 2x10 and 1x15 that will be just as good. I can show you some nice Ev plans for different speaker configurations.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yeah thats what i'm now thinking i've had 8x10s in the past and the only thing that's bugging me is the weight and cost. so i think we're going with 410 or 210 and 115
That 31-band graphic EQ is going to drive you nuts trying to dial in your tone. Having too much EQ adjustability is at least as bad as not having enough. And with just the graphic EQ setting your tone, you may find it comes out rather sterile sounding. I'd recommend a good preamp like a SansAmp RPM or something along those lines.
Ya im going to be building a 2x10 to go with my diy 1x15.
As Fg41 said you need a good amount of knowledge to dial in good tones with a 31 band, its easy to dial in bad tones but takes knowing on what to cut in boost.

If youre getting a 31 band to go with your preamp, why not keep it simpler , why not get a preamp like a sansamp rpm like FG41 described. Or if you have more money to through out a mike pope or a dave hall preamp.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul