Okay guys I've really been listening to some fusion samples, sounds really awesome. Anyone know a way I can get into it? certain styles that would help me? I want to learn some licks too. What IS fusion anyways? hope this is the right place to post.
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Fusion is a mix of rock and jazz sometimes there are other genres mixed in as well. Some fusion guitarists include Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe, and Tony MacAlpine. Getting into jazz will help you learn. I find the best thing to is transcribing your favorites to learn licks. It might be a pain at first but it is the best way to learn.

EDIT: Who are you listening to by the way?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
fusion is a very broad genre, but is usually some sort of "fusion" between genres, ie jazz-funk, jazz-rock, world-rock, etc. A couple starter artists are Herbie Hancock's Headhunter era, Return to Forever, and Weather Report.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
For me this one proved hugely helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTI2s4svE2s

Keep in mind tho that Holdsworth is in a league of his own when it comes to technique, even within the world of fusion jazz guitarists. You'll find a guitar with low action really useful and I advise cranking the treble knob on your amp all the way down (plus a lot of the middle frequencies)

And after you've gotten familiar with the technique (which may seem to take forever, but practice makes perfect) you're only halfway there because what makes Holdsworth so cool you'll have to study the notes and patterns that he plays, so I'd recommend checking out some instructional clips from the guy himself. And it doesn't really matter what records you check out, all of them are great (Metal Fatigue, Road Games, Atavachron, Wardenclyffe Tower...).

Have fun

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by Led man32
Fusion is a mix of rock and jazz sometimes there are other genres mixed in as well. Some fusion guitarists include Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe, and Tony MacAlpine. Getting into jazz will help you learn. I find the best thing to is transcribing your favorites to learn licks. It might be a pain at first but it is the best way to learn.

EDIT: Who are you listening to by the way?

Iunno... LOL Jeff Beck right now and random stuff I find on youtube when I search fusion, (trying to have a better idea of what fusion is) sounds epic, it's funky but not TOO out there for me, not really psychedelic for the most part. I love rock, and I love jazz, and heck there might be some blues licks in there too and I love all that shizz. Yeah I'm getting away from metal, and I really want to improve my music theory and enjoy it at the same time and excel at something I like.

Thanks for posting guys still craving for all the information about this... this thing seems big... has a lot of energy, and I can see a lot of freedom.
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Last edited by NecroticSoldier at Jan 3, 2010,
And then there's people like Al Di Meola who instead of legato is ALL about rhythms and counter rhythms. He's got the sickest right hand and feel for drama when improvising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HIY_IPIvCI

I found that one a little bit hard though, you might wanna start off with exercises like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzjcKbZ5N-Q

If you don't mind practicing with a metronome that's certainly a good one. Especially when you start to develop a feel for it since you can start cranking up the speed...

But even if you're just looking for some good music I can highly recommend his records, especially the ones with Return to Forever. That band is so incredibly cool. All their albums are worth checking out (like Romantic Warrior) and from their second album on they started to incorporate a lot more spectacular guitar parts into their music which was kind of unusual at the time. They're one of the first and best fusion bands.

And there's this other band you might wanna check out. They're called focus and even though they're not really a fusion band (more progressive jazz really) their second (Moving Waves) and third (Focus III) albums are fantastic

I'm tired now

/] 三方 [\
Oh wait, there's one more dude you should check out, if you haven't already > Pat Metheny, and especially his records with Pat Metheny Group, because generally those are the ones that rock the most. Beware though, some of his work is actually pretty mellow (meaning it's more of a guitar jazz sound than rock) and there's a lot more synthesizer, keyboards and synth guitars (something a lot of these guys were experimenting with during the 80's) on that material

/] 三方 [\
LOL! thank you, really thats A LOT !
check out the source of it all....miles davis....start with "in a silent way" then "bitches brew"....his bands have all the best players .. chick correa..herbie hancock on keyboards great reed players and drummers...and always top guitarists....john mclaughlin...scolfield...

play well

wolf