Hello all

Been lurking for quite some time but decided to drop in and post. I'm currently deployed (Military) for the 2nd time to an undesirable location, but between missions I have plenty of down time. A few months ago I decided to learn guitar, always been something that interested me. So I ordered a cheap acoustic, and learned some basics on that for a couple months and then ordered a "kit" (electric with amp pack). I've been playing about 6 hours a day when I can, mainly working the fundamentals and trying to get my hands to do things it seems they were never meant to do...

I gotta say I love it, and look forward to getting a much better set up when I get home and really improving my skills. I've learned a ton already from all of the great lessons on here, and I've also learned that it just takes time and hard work to get better.

So, looks like a great community and I look forward to hanging around and even though I might not post much you'd better believe I'll be reading up and putting in work on a daily basis.

Cheers!

Phil
Last edited by phil_the_noob at Jan 3, 2010,
Wish I had 6 hours a day to practice, then I wouldn't suck lol. Thanks for your service and best of luck!
"Let others bring order to chaos, I shall bring chaos to order."- Vonnegut.

Check out my webcomic!
Welcome man! And you're bold for doing what you do! Keep practicing and feel free to post any time you need help. Someone will definitely help out. Good luck.

Tyler
Hey Phil! Welcome to UG! This forum is a great place, you'll like it here. But take most of the stuff you hear with a grain of salt, as one member said, it's "A forum full of retards."
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hey Phil, Welcome to Ultimate Guitar!

I just want to thank you for all of your personal sacrifice and service to our country.
Please remember your ultimate guitar mission is to come home and play guitar!

Stay safe out there...
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by genghisgandhi
Anybody outside of the Pit is gonna know what they're talking about.

that's really not true, though. I've seen advice that's just plain stupid. Invader Jim, the mod in GB&C, say he's seen advice that could get people killed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Such an honor! please try not to hurt yourself, LOL too much time practicing might hurt. Yeah it's definitely fun I'm sure if you need any help we can help you.
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Thanks everyone for the replies! Quite honestly I have tons of questions I could ask, but have done some searching and most of them seem to be answered already on here so I won't waste your time.

I'm currently trying to learn how to tune the guitar by ear, which caused me about and hour of frustration last night. After about 30 minutes of trying (I'd get it to where I "thought" it was in tune, but then when I played along with a few songs it obviously wasn't), I went to my backup plan which was the cheapo $9 tuner I bought. That thing let me down in a major way, even though it said everything was legit the guitar still sounded out. Finally I went down and grabbed a real tuner from a buddy that plays and was back on track in about 2 minutes after that. :lol

There are a few lessons on here about chromatic exercises and building finger speed/stretchability, I usually try to do those for about 10 to 15 min on the front and back end of my playing time. I have seen improvement, even over the period of the week that I've started doing them.

Also, I know nothing when it comes to guitars, but I'd be willing to bet this "starter" Les Paul from Epiphone (about $200) leaves much to be desired when it comes to quality. It's great for learning the basics, and especially being over here, but I already had to tinker with it. The strings were fretting out so I pulled out my trusty gerber tool and (I think) raised the bridge some to fix it.

Anyways, fun fun. Thanks for the warm welcome.

\m/
Last edited by phil_the_noob at Jan 3, 2010,