Quote by stillsoldier4ch
can my electric guitar be near a humidifier?

Put it somewhere else just to be safe.

Wood warps when it gets dry.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!
As a general rule of thumb you shouldn't leave your guitar near a humidifier, radiator or air con system. Being left there for a couple of minutes might not damage it though it could still dick around with the set up (especially the neck relief). Leaving it there for a longer period of time won't cause nay perminant damage but you'll probably need to set up the guitar properly before playing. It depends ont he guitar though; a guitar with a quarter sawn rock maple neck and double expanding truss rod with a thick poly finish isn't going to be effected much (if at all), while a mahogany-necked guitar with a tradtional truss rod and a thin nitro finish can start to retract and warp after just a day.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Use common sense.....not that it is very common on the internutz....
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
What the ****.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Bhaok

Well, you are right. common sense isn't very common, but the reason I am asking is because I have two acoustics and one has bubbled out because of the dry climate here. I was told I need to humidify them, but I don't really want to keep all my equipment seperate. Basically, I want to keep all my guitars in the same area and just put the humifier in the middle but I don't want to mess up my electric. I have seen humidors where people put electrics and acoustics in the same room with a humidifier in close quarters but I've been told that humidity will mess up the electronics. I'm just confused with all the different information I've been getting so, no, I don't know what the common sense is in this situation. Some actual helpful information would be nice instead of general negative comments that do not help at all.
you want to keep all guitars in a room around 45% humidity.

they have these cheap little meters you can buy that give you a really good idea of what you've got now.

in the winter, your house might go down to about 30%.

that's going to cause all kinds of setup issues.

too moist in the summer and strings, and electronics can rust.

ok, so.
no. not right on top of a vent or moist area humidifier.

but yes.
in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.

especially if you've got acoustics.

if you can't keep the room controlled then get a case and control the cases humidity, using a mini humidifier or silica packs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
you want to keep all guitars in a room around 45% humidity.

they have these cheap little meters you can buy that give you a really good idea of what you've got now.

in the winter, your house might go down to about 30%.

that's going to cause all kinds of setup issues.

too moist in the summer and strings, and electronics can rust.

ok, so.
no. not right on top of a vent or moist area humidifier.

but yes.
in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.

especially if you've got acoustics.

if you can't keep the room controlled then get a case and control the cases humidity, using a mini humidifier or silica packs.

Thank you very much.

i just go through this a lot because i have acoustics.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I live in a dry place, too. (Montana) I feel your pain.

My wife and I have 18 acoustics between us and three electrics.

We have in-case humidifiers (sponge-type) for every acoustic and keep a humidifier going in a spare bedroom that doubles as guitar storage room. Sounds crazy, but before we did that, we got to know the luthier on a first-name basis

The electrics don't seem as sensitive to the dryness, and in a very humid place can actually react poorly.

But, given the dryness that we start with up here, we're nowhere near in danger of that.

As long as your guitars are not in the direct fan/spray of the humidifier, they will be fine.
Quote by jj1565

i just go through this a lot because i have acoustics.

So which type of humidifier should I use;cool mist or warm mist?