I'm thinking about buying a new bass and want to hear your suggestions. I mostly play alternative rock (especially Radiohead). My price range is $450-$550.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. - Douglas Adams
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Mexican Fender Jazz or P-Bass

What he said. Little more info might be useful though. What do you have now? Do you want 4 strings or 5, or even 6? Active or passive? etc etc.
Sounds as if a mexican fender is what you want though, play both and see which is for you. Colin Greenwood ive only ever seen use a precision, though i doubt he plays that exclusively.
I'm looking for a 4 string bass, active. I'm relatively new to the bass. I bought a puny, used Stagg XB300 just to see how I'll like the instrument. And I really love it so now I'm looking for a real bass.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. - Douglas Adams
go for a mexican fender. either one should do nicely for you but it all boils down to personal preference.
I dont really like the Mexican made fenders (the standards). If I were you, I would...
A. Play as many basses as you can get your hands on, no matter what price range they may be in.
B. Decide what kind of sound you want. Punchy, bassy, clear, clanky...Remember, you can play any style of music with any tone you like. Judging by radiohead, Id say low midish and bassy.
C. Take my advice!!look at these and remember to try before you buy.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK300-Electric-Bass-?sku=511834#used

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traben-Chaos-Limited-4?sku=515972

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Precision-60s-Bass-Guitar-?sku=519571

And also, what are you spending on an amp? A good amp is better than a good bass.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I like my Epi thunderbird pro personally, but alot of people bag on it
I'm with powil. Just try out as many different kinds as you can. Including yamahas.

If I had to pick one personally, you can't go wrong with a thunderbird. Not everyone's cup of tea but you should at least try it out.
Personally, I would not advise you to get a thunderbird. IMO, thunderbirds are good for only one tone, and you can get that with many other basses and with better playability.
Quote by c3powil
Personally, I would not advise you to get a thunderbird. IMO, thunderbirds are good for only one tone, and you can get that with many other basses and with better playability.

See
Sure, everyone doesn't like t-birds. Just saying that he should at least try one before he decides what bass to get. And yes, you can get a similar tone with other basses but not the same.
I personally think the T-Bird has a nice rock tone to it. Also, the Ibanez gsr's aren't too bad.
Quote by c3powil

A. Play as many basses as you can get your hands on, no matter what price range they may be in.

And also, what are you spending on an amp? A good amp is better than a good bass.

This is excellent advice. Play as many basses as possible so you know what you REALLY like. And a quality amp is much more important than a quality bass. What amp do you have at the moment?

And for many people, higher end Sqiuers are better than MIM Fenders. That isnt always the case, its because the MIM quality control is a bit iffy. For this reason, if you go with an MIM, dont buy online, get one you've actually played and liked.
Well.. I have a 20W Orange Crush. I think it's a decent amp since I'm not gigging, just practicing (for now).
Yea, Orange is good, and If you're just practicing I dont see any reason for higher volume.
I'm not saying thunderbirds dont have anything good going for them. I just wouldnt want a beginner to pick one up, because it would limit his exapansion into other techniques. I owned a thunderbird for some time, and I liked the feel; however, it was nearly impossible to slap or tap on it.
he said active guys.

Fender Deluxe P-bass or J-bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I like the Schecter Riot but that's like $750 or somewhere in that ballpark. It's active EMG's.

Anyway, I currently have a very, very cheap Bass. I concur about try before you buy. If you find something you really love and it's out of your price range, just be patient and save up/hustle for it. In the long run you'll be glad you did.
Ok. Thanks for the advice.