I'm trying to decide on the Fender Highway 1 Tele
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-?sku=512871

vs the G&L ASAT Special (Or any other g&L ASAT)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tribute-by-GL-ASAT-Special-Premium?sku=511115

I have a budget of ~$700 and I'm looking to play mostly alt rock, some harder stuff (thrice, a7x), and jazz. Anyone have experience with the G&Ls?
I can't see Avenged Sevenfold happening with any Tele at all.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by demon.guitarist
Think again. The Fender Jim Root Tele is made from mahogany with EMGs slapped in it. It will do whatever the **** you want.
As long as you only want it to do metal.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
i know that playing a tele for a7x may be farfetched but i really enjoy the cleans of the tele.. i'm not saying that ill be playing all metal with this guitar, just that i enjoy listening and also playing little bits of metal stuff.. my main question was what would be the difference between the fender and the G&L.. which one is more versatile?
i'm open to any other guitars too
and thanks for all the replies
Quote by demon.guitarist
Think again. The Fender Jim Root Tele is made from mahogany with EMGs slapped in it. It will do whatever the **** you want.

Okay, any Tele except that one. I played one once and the neck shape was bizarre.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by imawAKe
i know that playing a tele for a7x may be farfetched but i really enjoy the cleans of the tele.. i'm not saying that ill be playing all metal with this guitar, just that i enjoy listening and also playing little bits of metal stuff.. my main question was what would be the difference between the fender and the G&L.. which one is more versatile?
i'm open to any other guitars too
and thanks for all the replies
Well, and this is just going off the reviews posted on MF, the G&L doesn't seem like it's going to sound much like a tele. The G&L pickups sound more like a P90 or something.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
i think you'll want to go with the fender. mostly because neither is going to do high gain metal too well stock, and the awkward pickup shapes on the G&L will prevent you from switching them for single coil sized humbuckers very easily. i would definitely recommend getting the fender and replacing the bridge with a single coil sized humbucker. maybe the dimarzio fast track, i've heard it mimics the clean tele bridge sound pretty well.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip