what if i were to tune my 7 string a fourth up?

E A D G C e a

so all the E shape chords would have the same shape, but sound like A shape chords.

it obviously wouldnt be good for metal because the lowest note is an E.
not to mention the high A would be insanely thin.
or maybe i could tune that a step down.

D G C F Bb d g

i just thought about it because i never really use my 7 string cause the B is just to low, and i dont play much metal. (i tried talking to my girlfriend about it, but she doesnt play guitar so she was ridiculously confused.)

does anyone have any opinions on this?
or know any pros who use this type of tuning?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
If I'm not mistaken, Wes Borland used to tune to Db true (standard chord shapes) on his seven string, and added a higher string instead of the low B.

You can do it. I've done it on my seven strings in the past - except I just doubled the high E, which gave a cool effect. Just make sure you use a really light gauge for the high A, in this case.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
If I'm not mistaken, Wes Borland used to tune to Db true (standard chord shapes) on his seven string, and added a higher string instead of the low B.

You can do it. I've done it on my seven strings in the past - except I just doubled the high E, which gave a cool effect. Just make sure you use a really light gauge for the high A, in this case.

i think im gonna buy a new set of strings for my 7 and try the D G C F Bb d g tuning.
its just like putting a capo on the third fret of a standard tuned 7 string, with no capo
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
And that's cool because if, by chance, you're interested in having a low tuning without going SO low, you can drop to C with the bottom string. I always tune in Db, whether standard form or drop. It's just what I prefer - seems like the perfect key for something not standard but not so low it loses character or clarity.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
There's aren't too many high A strings out there that won't snap easily. You can just take off the B string, or not play it.
Or you could do this: A, E, A, D, G, C, E. Basically, same thing as what you're doing, but the 7th is now the root as an A note. Your 7th will handle the tension of something like much better without damaging your guitar. The original tuning your discussing would require you tighten the truss rod just right, in order to keep the neck from warping. (In fact, if you got even a 1/4 of a turn wrong, it still could warp.) However, the tuning I suggest requires that you simply loosen you truss rod by 1/4 turn, much easier. Plus, you can now play A5 as

E-x-
C-x-
G-x-
D-x-
A-0-
E-0-
A-0-

And how low that is, that just sounds badass.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Or you could do this: A, E, A, D, G, C, E. Basically, same thing as what you're doing, but the 7th is now the root as an A note. Your 7th will handle the tension of something like much better without damaging your guitar. The original tuning your discussing would require you tighten the truss rod just right, in order to keep the neck from warping. (In fact, if you got even a 1/4 of a turn wrong, it still could warp.) However, the tuning I suggest requires that you simply loosen you truss rod by 1/4 turn, much easier. Plus, you can now play A5 as

E-x-
C-x-
G-x-
D-x-
A-0-
E-0-
A-0-

And how low that is, that just sounds badass.

thats just drop A with a B tuned to a C.
im tuning my guitar up, not down.
drop A is muuuch to low for me.

and the reason im gonna tune my guitar to that is so the top few strings are still the same intervals as standard tuning so it would be easy to solo.
see what i mean?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic