Poll: Did you have dificulty playing the guitar while singing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Did you have dificulty playing the guitar while singing?
Yes, but now i got round it!
48 46%
yes, im still struggling...
40 38%
No, not at all!
14 13%
I dont honestly know.
3 3%
Voters: 105.
Hey everyone! i got a guitar on Christmas and ive been playing since.. and i tried singing while im playing the guitar but i seem to have difficulty.. i just want to know if thats normal and please give me some tricks and tips and your story on how you for round that problem if you did.... and just now im learning to play and sing with one less lonely girl by justin bieber... hes awesome isnt he but anyway... thanks for reading this! xox- veronicamarcos
In the beginning it's quite hard because you have to concentrate on what you are playing. When you get very familiar to the song you are playing, you usually shouldn't have problems singing to it (at least after practicing it over time).

Have fun with your new guitar!
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
so if you just started playing guitar on christmas if would be dificult to play on its own add singing thats twice as much coordination you need
and all it takes is practice to until you can play with out thinking about it
I tryed it once and it was easy, mainly because when i talk to my mom I also play guitar.

My advice to you would be to try talking to people and playing, to get you started
It takes a lot of practice. Hang in there.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
It takes a bit of work, but once you figure it out, it's all easy. You can start with an easy acoustic song or even something a bit harder if you think you're up to it, and build up from there.

My first song was Supermassive Black Hole by Muse. It's not the easiest song to start playing and singing, but I highly recommend it; because it was a bit harder than just strumming chords, I think it helped me more.

Just keep playing harder and harder songs with a steady rhythm, and eventually start progressing to stuff with a more dynamic rhythm.
Supermassive Black Hole was also my first song that I did both on. I reccomend Muse if you're looking for songs to get into with guitar + singing.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by veronicamarcos
Hey everyone! i got a guitar on Christmas and ive been playing since.. and i tried singing while im playing the guitar but i seem to have difficulty.. i just want to know if thats normal and please give me some tricks and tips and your story on how you for round that problem if you did....

well actually, i personally didnt have too much trouble with it. obvioulsy some songs will be harder than others.

one thing that helps is being able to play the song without thinking too much about it if at all. that way you can focus more on singing. even singing the song with out thinking to much about it helps. its really just experience. it will come with tme. just focus on songs with simple rhythms and stumming for now.

and just now im learning to play and sing with one less lonely girl by justin bieber... hes awesome isnt he but anyway... thanks for reading this! xox- veronicamarcos

not sure if serious.....

to each their own i guess.
thanks everyone for replying!!! to be honest i never thought so much people would take there time replying to this and helping me!!! i will try some of your tips you all gave me!!! and i will update you when ive finally got round it! thjanks guys! you all are the BEST!!!! xox- veronicamarcos
Quote by Wiegenlied
lol @ justin bieber

Don't be mean to Justin. He's more famous than you isn't he?
You haven't been playing guitar very long so it's normal for you to have trouble singing and playing.

Practice guitar for a while and if you're a singer after you get the song down on guitar the rest should come naturally. If you can play the tune so well that you can have fun dancing around the room rocking out then you should be able to start trying to sing and play.

Some tunes I started with were Wonderwall by Oasis and Here Without You by 3 Doors Down is a good tune to practice picking as you sing.
Yes it's normal to have trouble at first. I did too and I still will on occasion if I'm playing a new song with a new strumming pattern or something. But once you get it down the first time, you'll get over the rough patches much quicker when learning new songs.
Don't worry........just continue to practice and it will get easier over time.
Quote by veronicamarcos
thanks everyone for replying!!! to be honest i never thought so much people would take there time replying to this and helping me!!! i will try some of your tips you all gave me!!! and i will update you when ive finally got round it! thjanks guys! you all are the BEST!!!! xox- veronicamarcos

Welcome to UG, Veronica. As long as you stay out of certain parts of The Pit, you're going to find some pretty good advice here. Also, I can only sing while playing certain songs, and I've been playing for 3 years. It's different for everyone.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
don't worry bout it folks its only that your cocentration levels for playin guitar are so high you genuinly do not have full control of your voice .thru lack of breath control, lyrics .it comes....then ur concentrating so hard on playin an singin that you may forget to breath.lol
It takes time. I'm still learning how to it, but I can do it on Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin.
my 2 cents -

i've been singing and playing the better part of 10 years and while i can't sing every song i know the music to i will say there is a correlation. it's all about how well you know how to play the song by repetition and muscle memory. basically it comes from familiarity with the instrument. the better you know the chords/riffs to the songs you're trying to play the easier it is to sing with them. i found i was practicing to a point where i was playing songs while watching tv or holding a conversation, thats usually a pretty good indicator that you can now focus on singing the songs. i was never a good singer (and its questionable to this day) so i had to focus ALOT on singing and hitting the right notes.

initially i'd recommend the simplest songs that you like that you are capable of playing, 3 or 4 chord songs that you like to sing along with. lots of classic and even modern rock and country cover this.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jan 25, 2010,