I've been practicing barre chords for a long while, but I still have a lot of trouble trying to get the G and B strings to ring the way they're supposed to in chords like 355333. Any help/tips?
Last edited by oh rachelle at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by oh rachelle
I've been practicing barre chords for a long while, but I still have a lot of trouble trying to get the G and B strings to ring the way they're supposed to in chords like 355333. Any help/tips?

jeesh i have the same problem

i dont have an accoustic... but i guess it would be efficient to practice barre chords on that...then when you take the electric it should be a walk in the park
that is, if u play electric oO
maybe try first to bar only one fret with your first finger. get a feeling for it how hard you have to press it. when you got it down put the rest on it
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
First try barring every string at the same fret (as if your first finger were a human capo) Then strum to see if you can hear every note correctly, then add the third and fourth finger at the 5th fret to finish the chord
what you have to do is experiment with where your thumb is pressing on the back of the fret board. They're is no specific place people can tell you where to put it becuase everyone's hands are different.
Try placing your thumb is different places when you make the barre chord until you find the right spot where all the notes ring nicely.
try turning your index finger at an angle where the side of your finger is touching the string instead of the bottom...may not be correct technique but it works great for me
Quote by garf69
try turning your index finger at an angle where the side of your finger is touching the string instead of the bottom...may not be correct technique but it works great for me
This.

Also, it kind of just takes a lot of practice to build up strength in your hands.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Just keep practicing and it will come to you.

Pressing down harder will help, but you really shouldn't have to fret too hard on most electric guitars. Acoustics are much more difficult at first than electrics.

Hopefully the action on your guitar is not too high (probably not) and the string tension is not too tight as that can make it more difficult to fret.

I once played a vintage Gibson acoustic that was wound so tight it was very difficult to fret full bar chords toward the end of the neck... but man did it sound amazing.

If your hands are smaller or just not very strong at playing yet... try rolling your index finger so it is slightly turned on the side where the finger is flatter... that's the only trick I can really come up with. I think that's the way I did it when I first started out and as I got better I learned to flatten the index normally and apply more even pressure across the strings.

Eventually, your own natural style and strength will take over.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Jan 3, 2010,
I've got an electric baritone with insanely tense strings and high action. The day I can play a barre on that I'll be able to do it on anything.
Thanks all. I figured it'd be easier on an electric too. I'm playing an acoustic Epiphone Dove, so. How long did it take for any of you guys to get the barre thing down?
i had that same problem and i hated it. all i did was practiced a lot and i got used to it. try practicing it everyday. hope this helps.
Try wrapping your thumb around to play the low E string. You only have to barre 2 or 3 strings then,
Are You Shpongled..?
We should really make a sticky for this issue, since 99% of all guitarists who start out have this problem. The problem is simply strength... I remember when I started I had difficulty with 'f' shape barre chords, and 'a' shape barre chords where literally impossible for me. Just keep going at it and you'll be there in no time... Once you can do a song like 'Under the Bridge' all the way through without fatigue you'll know you're getting there. 'Cause it's one thing to be able to play a bar chord, but to go through a whole song unless you've practiced plenty you'll get cramped and sore.

The same old stale and boring saying is true, practice makes perfect... simple...

edit: I also want to add, whenever new guitarists run into a problem they always first go to the guitar blaming it. They thinks there's a problem with it, or that somethings to tight/high etc... well 99% of the time it isn't... I'm not saying this is you... but i'm just saying that even when I started if I couldn't do something, fo whatever reason I first thought it was the guitar, but it never was... LOL
Last edited by fngrstylgtr at Jan 3, 2010,