Hey guys,

I just got a Yamaha APX500 for Xmas and i love it but I'm having a little problem with it. When I’m playing I get this really annoying buzz (mainly on the 3 low strings) and I was wondering if this is a fault with the guitar or if there is an easy way to sort it out. The guitar has a year warranty on it so if something is wrong I can get it replaced but I just thought I would ask here first in case it’s just something which I have done.

Any help would me much appreciated.

Thanks
Try adjusting the neck. The guitar is made of wood and the wood will stretch and move. If this does not work, i have no idea. Worked for me^^
Yeargh i'm cursed!
It maybe that the action on the guitar might be too low. Take it back to the shop and have it looked at. I don't play much acoustic so don't take my word as being the right answer. Hope this helps =)
Key gear:
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gary Moore (Lemon Burst)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)
BC Rick Mockingbird ST (Red Quilt)
Laney IronHeart 60 watt head w/4x12 cab
Boss V-Wah
It sounds like your problem is fret buzz. Which in a nut shell happens when yours strings are too low to the fret board and "buzzz" against the frets because of this.

You need to look down the neck, from guitar body to head and compare the bow (bend) in the neck to the strait strings. there should be some bow, but not too much (as this will give the guitar a poor feel when playing). It should definatly not bend backwards. You can change this bend, in your case giving it a bit more by adjusting the truss rod (there will be a how too on the forum). Suffice to say you can write off the guitar doing that badly, but with a bit of common sense you would be fine.

If there is a reasonable bow in the neck and you are still having the problem try raising the action at the bridge. By the sounds of it being when you play the third fret however it would appear to be the bowing.

This bend changing is perfectly natural property of the wood. The neck will react to the temperature and the humidity. Move house or change seasons and you may find yourself changing the truss rod again to compensate. Knowing how to do this helps to get you in tune with your instrument and understand why some days it sounds/feels nicer than others. Very important stuffs.
As a rule of thumb ALWAYS humidify your acoustic guitar when you aren't playing it. It will keep it sounding as good as it did the day you fell in love with it and prevent it from cracking in half.

Also it makes the Luthier's job a lot easier if your guitar is humidified. Most Luthier's will refuse to work on an acoustic guitar unless it is properly humidified which could take over 3 weeks if you normally just leave your acoustic guitar sitting out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the buzz. If you've never gotten it set up then now's a great time for it anyway. Tell the Luthier exactly how you like it and they'll set it up accordingly. Playing a well set up guitar changes the whole experience! I always find myself practicing a lot more the months after I get my guitar set-up.