I have a 10 inch fan lying around and have been putting it on a low setting behind my amp head lately. Does anyone else do this? Does it actually benefit my tubes at all or am I just killing my tone because the tubes aren't getting as hot as they should?
It shouldn't bother your tubes, or your tone, but I would just say its a waste of electricity, tubes doesn't ever get hot enough to require a fan, but SS amps do, especially ones with heat sinks, I've watched several of those catch on fire cause the fan stopped working.
I don't know if this is true but i was told that putting a fan behind the amp will only blow air on one side of the tube, and that the other side will remain hot. So one side will be hot, and the other cool, which leads to the glass cracking, and breaking.

Anybody know if there's any truth to this?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Last edited by Major Sparky at Jan 3, 2010,
With some amps, it works. Neil young's Deluxe amps have 6L6s in them. they get so hot if he didn't have a fan blowing on the back of the amp, it would overheat and stop working.

Your B-52 should be fine.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Major Sparky
I don't know if this is true but i was told that putting a fan behind the amp will only blow air on one side of the tube, and that the other side will remain hot. So one side will be hot, and the other cool, which leads to the glass cracking, and breaking.

I'm not sure about the truth of this, But i have heard it too. Personally i wouldn't do it because tubes are meant to get hot, that's where they get their "kick" from. Unless your amp is biased too high, there should be no reason for worrying about tubes getting too hot.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
The tube heaters are there to heat the pentodes inside the tube.

Convectional cooling of the glass will not cool the pentodes - which, by proxy, will not affect the tone of the tube - because convection cannot occur in a vacuum.

What do they teach kids these days?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The tube heaters are there to heat the pentodes inside the tube.

Convectional cooling of the glass will not cool the pentodes - which, by proxy, will not affect the tone of the tube - because convection cannot occur in a vacuum.

What do they teach kids these days?

This^. As for your question, your guess is as good as mine.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Yes, when we refer to "hot" for tubes, it refers to an electrical property, not a thermal property. Physically cooling the tubes will not effect their tone.

As far as cooling the tubes with a fan, I don't really buy the part about cooling one side leading to cracking - it's not like one side is ice cold and the other side is hot. If you're worried about that though, you could always just turn the fan around so it was drawing hot air away from the tubes, which would cool the amp more evenly.