I have a Vox AD50VT, but hope to upgrade to a 2x12 half stack rig. I don't exactly have floods of money coming in so aim to buy the cab first then add the head later.

I really like the Vox AC30 sound so will most probably get the AC30 head, and I use that setting almost exclusively on my AD50VT. I plan to use the 2x12 cab with my current combo, using the External Speaker out (8 ohm).

Is this a good idea/ will it enhance the sound of my current combo?
What cabs do you think would work best with the AC30?

I like the style of the Orange 212 cabs and hear they are very well made, but I'm not so sure on the very dark sound they give out, is this more to do with the Orange heads?

And I really like the BlackStar Artisan 212 but have no idea what they sound like

I want quite a biting tone (much like Gaslight Anthem) if that helps, and I use a Gibson Les Paul Standard

Thanks.
Last edited by andy_heirons at Jan 3, 2010,
both the orange and blackstar will sound nice, I think the blackstar will be somewhat more expensive. The AC30 will be perfect for a nice biting british tube sound. What is your budget exactly? Because this won't be a cheap setup.
You could get the avatar 2x12 which comes in 3 different styles and you can choose everything from the speakers to tolex color to the piping on the outside. I'm ordering a cab from them tomorrow acctaully. It's not my first either, there great. Also check out vader cabs.

http://avatarspeakers.com/
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Last edited by matt s at Jan 3, 2010,
About £300, I don't want to get stuff I don't exactly want (I saved up bloody ages for the Gibson) I know the Orange is about £290 and the Blackstar is abotu £350 and at that price £60 wont make to much of an impact...

I'll check out Avatar, and Vox I don't know, are they any good?
If you can afford it, Get a custom made 2x12 with 2 alnico blues from MJW Martamp, that would cost about £400

EDIT: I just saw your budget. Go to Zilla Cabs, I thin they still have a couple of ec-demo cabs selling for £150 and then you can choose the speakers.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by zipmike
Don't you mean AC130?

Do a google search, no such thing as a Vox AC130.
IMO the greatest speaker to pair with an AC30 is a Celestion Alnico Blue. its what they used on the old AC30s. I'd look at getting an unloaded cab and putting in a set (the vox ones are overpriced)
Also, Eminence make a good copy of the Alnico Blue (is it the Red Fang?)
Quote by andy_heirons
Do Avatar ship to the UK?

No they don't ship to the UK,
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I too like gaslight anthems tone, I think an ac30 would suit you quite nicely- but you should try both the blackstar and vox before you make a decision.

Why not just get the ac30 2x12 combo? It'd work out alot cheaper, it would be more convinient, and you'd still have 2 speakers. 2 decent speakers, too.

Orange cabs are very overpriced imo. If you want a cheap cab how about harley benton? They have the same speakers as that orange cab, they're just half the price because they're "harley benton" and not "orange".. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
Quote by dotheFlop
I too like gaslight anthems tone, I think an ac30 would suit you quite nicely- but you should try both the blackstar and vox before you make a decision.

Why not just get the ac30 2x12 combo? It'd work out alot cheaper, it would be more convinient, and you'd still have 2 speakers. 2 decent speakers, too.

Orange cabs are very overpriced imo. If you want a cheap cab how about harley benton? They have the same speakers as that orange cab, they're just half the price because they're "harley benton" and not "orange".. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Gaslight Anthem use Blackstar Artisan 30 Combos at Reading & Leeds Festival, that's what made me check Blackstar out, and I'm a sucker for strange coloured amps :P
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
IMO the greatest speaker to pair with an AC30 is a Celestion Alnico Blue. its what they used on the old AC30s. I'd look at getting an unloaded cab and putting in a set (the vox ones are overpriced)

This guy is right. Alnico Blues are definitely what you want wit the Vox AC amps.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
An AC130 is a plane. hahaha
I like orange amps. But you could just get a vox ac30 combo? Unless your super set on a 2x12 stack.
The blackstar cabs are nice.
The artisan 30 combos have vintage 30s in them. I love them speakers.
Just my 2 cents...
Quote by zipmike
Don't you mean AC130?

Did somebody get MW2 for Christmas?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Did somebody get MW2 for Christmas?

thats what I first thought when I read that post!!
Quote by SHAUNYSHAUN1234
thats what I first thought when I read that post!!

I thought "not unless he's ordering an airstrike on someone.."
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Why not get a 2X12 combo AC30? you can find one used for under $800, usually.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
Why not get a 2X12 combo AC30? you can find one used for under $800, usually.

I like the Head/Cab set up, and I want i don't make that much money so want new gear, I can buy the cab in a few months and then get the head a few months after that. I haven't brought any new gear in ages so want to satisfy my urges
Quote by andy_heirons
I like the Head/Cab set up, and I want i don't make that much money so want new gear, I can buy the cab in a few months and then get the head a few months after that. I haven't brought any new gear in ages so want to satisfy my urges

Don't give into your urges... that's how you end up in prison.

but seriously, if you're just buying it because you are itching to get something, don't do it. i think we've all made some dumb f*cking purchases by doing that.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

but seriously, if you're just buying it because you are itching to get something, don't do it. i think we've all made some dumb f*cking purchases by doing that.

Yh, I've done that.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jhachey22

I really want/need a new amp, i really like the 2x12 and head set up. I am considering all my options and making my decision very slowly, i'm not going out next week to buy this, just getting the money to buy the cab will take a few months.

Also I'm not that keen on combos, and i hate huge stacks.