This month I'm ordering a new guitar online, most likely from Musician's Friend.
I play a lot of metal, so I want pickups that can sound clear through heavy distortion, and a guitar that can handle drop tunings. I also want it to be able to have nice full lead tones, and have a nice fast thin neck with low action that plays easily.
This guitar has been suggested to me numerous times:
ESP LTD MH-1000
I'm just wondering, does anyone have any experience with this guitar? Also please don't tell me about the EMG Version with the FR, I don't like tremelo's and I hate dealing with them, I only want a guitar that has a stopbar.
From what I've heard about the MH, the Seymour Duncan's are really nice pickups, very versatile, and can get what I want. It has a set neck which is what I prefer, and a string-through body which is also nice for sustain and such.

If anyone can give me advice on this guitar, or tell me how it is, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Here's what I want in a guitar:
1) First off, budget.. $500 USD and under
2) Set neck or neck-thru is what I'd prefer, but a decent bolt-on is fine I guess
3) Pickups that can handle heavy distortion, and have nice lead tones
4) A thin fast neck, easy to play
5) NO FR, or any style of tremelo
5) Be able to handle drop tunings, as low as drop B. I usually play in drop C and C standard, but I still occasionally play in standard and drop D, and D standard. Summed up, I play many tunings and I change constantly, so I want a guitar that can handle this well.
6) Locking tuners would be nice, but hey I've never owned a guitar with them so it's whatever if they're just regular tuners.
7) The type of wood doesn't really matter to me, I can't honestly say I'm experienced enough to tell the difference in tone from wood
8) Fretboard wood doesn't matter either (Although I've come to realize I like rosewood and maple)
9) I play lots of metal, so keep that in mind
10) I play through a Roland Cube 30x which I just got for Christmas, and I use a Boss DS-1 pedal as well

So, can the MH-1000 fit my needs? If not, please go ahead and suggest ANYTHING to me that you think would fit my style better..

Just keep in mind budget is <$500 USD please.
Thanks
you may want to look into schecter guitars, are you willing to go used? or does it have to be new? is it staright heavy metal or do you player other styles at times? i know it says MAINLY metal but should we try and find you a guitar that is somewhat versatile, or a guitar that is designed for only metal?
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by Holysorrow
you may want to look into schecter guitars, are you willing to go used? or does it have to be new? is it staright heavy metal or do you player other styles at times? i know it says MAINLY metal but should we try and find you a guitar that is somewhat versatile, or a guitar that is designed for only metal?

I should have been more specific eh?
Yeah I'd really like it to be versatile, I don't want one that's JUST for metal ONLY, because metal isn't the only thing I play. I do a lot of clean stuff as well.
On the note of used/new, it's not me that's paying/buying, it's my grandmother. After a few bad stints from buying in a guitar store, she will only get from offline completely new now.
So the guitar must be brand new and ordered from offline. It kinda sucks, but hey I'm only 17, when I'm older and on my own with my own cash in my pocket, I'll do what I want, I definitely won't complain that I have someone who is willing to do such nice things for me. (I've been hit on for being a selfish POS and for being ungrateful in other posts because I said my grandmother had run into financial problems around the holidays.. complicated story, it was just people flaming me for no reason)
So yes please, try to find a guitar that would be versatile enough to not only do metal, but anything else I might end up doing down the road. It has to be brand new from an online dealer, and it must be $500 USD or below. And try to meet all the stuff I listed above?
Thanks to anyone who helps me in my decision
i would actually look at buying that MH because they only have a limited number that are on sale and they won't have many for long. I have used this guitar and they are great. Almost any kind of ESP/LTD that is a 1000 is amazing quality and has great tone.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I would go with a Jackson RR5 because its got JB and Jazz pickups that take metal great and its got a hard-tail
Quote by iceh88
i would actually look at buying that MH because they only have a limited number that are on sale and they won't have many for long. I have used this guitar and they are great. Almost any kind of ESP/LTD that is a 1000 is amazing quality and has great tone.

Exactly the reason this guitar became an option. It's in clearance right now and it looks amazing for only 500 bucks.
Quote by Trivium7
I would go with a Jackson RR5 because its got JB and Jazz pickups that take metal great and its got a hard-tail

It's not within my price range.
I can only go as high as $500 USD
the esp mh 1000 is a great guitar. However, I do think you will be disappointed with the seymour Duncan pick ups. I've tried some through high end stacks and even one through a roland cube and I was very disappointed thinking, wow this is it, really?. If you have tried them and like them then great.

as far as the neck on the mh ltd its a tad thick. Its a fast thin neck but it is just slightly thicker than what i would have liked it to be. I think you would be very happy with the ltd, but i still recommend trying it out. I'm very happy with the mh 400, with the emg's you don't want to hear about :p, but the mh 1000 is excellent.

schecters won't be as nice, if anything try out some jacksons at guitar center. My rhythm guitarist has a higher end jackson and he hated the SD pups and replaced them with the new emg x's and it sounded infinitely better. I was surprised to how similar the jackson neck felt to my ltd, so try them out.
the MH-1000 sounds right for you. Go for it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'd get that guitar in an instant, they are usually about double that price. They go for like £750 + in the UK.

they are very good guitars too
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
If you can grab an MH-1000 before they finnally run out just do it

and I've played a few guitars with SD pickups (through a peavey Classic 30) and dear lord most of the pickup combos i've tried were really really incredible. I didn't even mind the blackouts even though I'm not a fan of actives
That guitar is the deal of the holidays IMO. If I didn't have a decent guitar and was saving for an amp, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
I doubt my GC will have one. That's why it's so difficult to try out guitars and I constantly turn to you guys. For me it's just kinda.. Buy what you suggest and hope it turns out good. There's two guitar stores around my area. Both very far away. The GC is small too. Maybe 20-30 guitars, so figure 4 or 5 a brand.. Not much. Guess I'll just go with the MH and hope for the best
ESP LTD Deluxe is an excellence guitar line. At $500 sale prices you cannot find anything that can beat it. Their retail price are normally at $700~$800. Right now I think they're trying to clear out the old stock in order to wait for the newer 2010 batches to come in. Grab it while it's hot. You would be lucky if GC has a good model left.

The MH-1000 is very versatile. Although the wood, construction and pickups selections are a bit more on the metal side. It will still be able to do any style of music just fine.

The pair of Seymour Duncan pickups on this guitar is very good. Like active EMG, people usually has a tendency to either love it or hate it. Solid State amps like the Cube tends to break up with such high output pickups. On an amp that can manage hi-gain they can do wonders for your tone.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
ESP LTD Deluxe is an excellence guitar line. At $500 sale prices you cannot find anything that can beat it. Their retail price are normally at $700~$800. Right now I think they're trying to clear out the old stock in order to wait for the newer 2010 batches to come in. Grab it while it's hot. You would be lucky if GC has a good model left.

The MH-1000 is very versatile. Although the wood, construction and pickups selections are a bit more on the metal side. It will still be able to do any style of music just fine.

The pair of Seymour Duncan pickups on this guitar is very good. Like active EMG, people usually has a tendency to either love it or hate it. Solid State amps like the Cube tends to break up with such high output pickups. On an amp that can manage hi-gain they can do wonders for your tone.

Would the volume it's played at matter to how much it would break up?
I only either play at a very low volume doing bedroom practicing, or not so often I'll be playing with friends, and even then the volume isn't very high.
I don't do gigs or anything, no shows, it's just entertainment for myself and it's something I happen to really enjoy doing.
Thats a good guitar but you could perhaps check put some ibanez stuff
Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3