So I've been looking for a decent distortion pedal that works for both rhythm and lead sections, and of course, the Boss DS-1 came up and I'm buying one within the next couple of days for next to nothing. I'm taking a serious influence from satch with the rig i want to build, and in doing my research into a distortion pedal, i know satch used to have a DS-1 and used it extensively.

However, i inevitably came across the satchurator, and, as satch describes, i want something similar to the 'More' button on his signature pedal. Are there any ways i can recreate this using a DS-1?

I've thought of a couple of ideas, but they're pretty basic and i'm pretty sure saint joe would have thought of them before, but would it do to have both a DS-1 and an overdrive pedal, and turn on the overdrive when i want 'more', or would using 2 DS-1s do just as well?

Bearing in mind i'm a student, a breed notorious for having very little money, but really, apart from splashing out for a Satchurator (which i probably will do eventually, but not for years), is there anything i can do to get my 'more' fix?

Diolch yn fawr iawn! (That's welsh for 'Thank You Very Much!', your reward for any assistance)
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
i don't know why you want the ds-1. imo its one of the worst sounding pedal i've ever played. what amp are you using? not all my suggestions will work well unless you've got a tube amp
I've only got a Spider II 30 at the moment, but i really don't like the distortions as much i used to, and i hooked up a DS-1 to it a while ago and simply loved it.

After a few years i'm definately getting either a Marshall JCM2000 or VoxAD50VT. There's no way i'll be getting an SS amp next, i've tasted tonal nirvana, and i just cant get it through SS
Quote by Rocker007

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
whenever Vai or Satch use a Boss DS-1, its only for boost. like for a solo.
their TONE however comes from their amp, which I would expect to be heavily modified.
so if you want the tone, you need the amp.
if youre looking for a good distortion pedal, I would recommend the Marshall JH-1. you wont get a nice Marshall tone - duh - but it is a great basic overdrive and distortion pedal.

BTW: I play it through the Spider 30 also
Last edited by ErnestoFidel at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by Black Rat 1214
I've only got a Spider II 30 at the moment, but i really don't like the distortions as much i used to, and i hooked up a DS-1 to it a while ago and simply loved it.

After a few years i'm definately getting either a Marshall JCM2000 or VoxAD50VT. There's no way i'll be getting an SS amp next, i've tasted tonal nirvana, and i just cant get it through SS

in all honesty, try a P.O.D. with that amp you will like it a lot more than any stand alone pedals.
I know about the whole principles of tone and everything, and thanks for the help, but like i said, i'm after just some basic distortion, and then a way of getting a bit more than i had for say, solos and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2aZN1kFDA

Here's the video where i found out how he developed it with Vox, and i'm kinda after the same sort of principle. I do like the idea of the marshall though, i'll look into that
Quote by Rocker007

the satchurator(JS-DS) has alot of the ds1 built into it, it`s was satch`s pedal of choice until 2007.

what`s wrong with the JS-DS anyway, it`s the best distortion pedal out there imo. (bags of tone and more than enough gain).

if you`ve got the gain at 10 on the JS-DS the more button doesn`t give you much more boost. so if what your after is extra boost on the ds1 get a boost pedal....or better still just get the JS-DS.

i think all the vox satriani line our great

how about a bad monkey set up as a boost (gain on 0, level on 10). If you have a valve amp, especially, it'll get you where you want to be?
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Last edited by samuwel at Jan 3, 2010,
@ibanezgod - Its like i said, i really do like the Satchurator, and its really something i want to get in the future, but i've got a DS-1 coming in the next couple of days (Bought it dirt cheap off a friend), and i've not got enough money at the minute to splash out on a JS-DS, and i won't be getting a pure valve amp any time soon, not unless i win the lottery or something. Liking the idea of a boost pedal though, any recommendations?

@samuwel, i've heard of a bad monkey set up, but i've actually got no idea what it means. Again, i've only got a crappy spider II at the minute, so i've unfortunately not got any valves to drive.
Quote by Rocker007

Quote by Black Rat 1214
@ibanezgod - Its like i said, i really do like the Satchurator, and its really something i want to get in the future, but i've got a DS-1 coming in the next couple of days (Bought it dirt cheap off a friend), and i've not got enough money at the minute to splash out on a JS-DS, and i won't be getting a pure valve amp any time soon, not unless i win the lottery or something. Liking the idea of a boost pedal though, any recommendations?

@samuwel, i've heard of a bad monkey set up, but i've actually got no idea what it means. Again, i've only got a crappy spider II at the minute, so i've unfortunately not got any valves to drive.

a bad monkey is a cheap overdrive pedal,by digitech. but you can easily make it into a boost by setting it up as i stated.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
getting a decent separate boost pedal defeats the object of your financial situation......obviously i don`t know what that is and don`t want to know other than what your budget is for the boost. your using a modelling amp, you could try switching from the clean to the crunch channel on your spider therby letting the crunch boost the ds1........having outboard effects on a modelling amp never sounds great btw