Page 1 of 2
There seems to be so much metal and post-rock threads in the forum, but theres very little on hardcore, post hardcore, and so on- (From autumn to ashes, alexisonfire, silverstein) on UG GG+A.

Any suggestions on rigs/pedals/amps for this sound?

Stuff like this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Ivt-ikYIk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNDJey8mIA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcdX17si9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pejvzJZSLpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In_bIiOoMUA
mojostompboxes.com
I don't think it's a very hard tone to get..
Medium gain, etc..

Why don't you just look up what amps those bands use?
I'd guess Mesa, Peavey, Marshall..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
A good high-gain amp.
I've heard a lot of hardcorebands use Marshall JCMs, Mesa/boogies, ect.
Pedals im not too sure, a distortion/overdrive for solos, a delay, chorus possibly.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
this isn't really hardcore...it's more like commercial metalcore...

either way, a 5150/jcm 900/dual rectifier/boosted orange AD30 could get you that metalcore sound.

also i suggest you check out converge.
i know thursday use AC30s and telecasters though. would that require a large amount of pedals to get his tone?
mojostompboxes.com
yeah..this isnt hardcore...you can dial in their tones with a fender frontman.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
must we turn this into a "this isnt _______, this is ______".....
its just a waste of everyones time.
mojostompboxes.com
try for an egnater rebel, its capable of both modern and vintage tones. the 6l6s inside of it can go for your "hardcore" and modern stuff and the el34s for older stuff.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

this isnt hardcore, this is patrick.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by zeemonkey
try for an egnater rebel, its capable of both modern and vintage tones. the 6l6s inside of it can go for your "hardcore" and modern stuff and the el34s for older stuff.

I would not recommend this for the music I heard up there, it's a great amp but definitely doesn't have the gain on tap, I didn't think anyway.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Uhhhh, I'm probably not very helpful on this subject, but I know ADTR uses Recto's. From a musical standpoint I'd say they're pretty hardcore.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
Uhhhh, I'm probably not very helpful on this subject, but I know ADTR uses Recto's. From a musical standpoint I'd say they're pretty hardcore.

I don't want to turn this into that kind of thread either, but I think this deserves a lol.

Anyways, TS, what rig do you have now?

Quote by tr3nt
I don't want to turn this into that kind of thread either, but I think this deserves a lol.

Anyways, TS, what rig do you have now?

I know all the vocals are pop-y, but I mean their older stuff, and just the guitars n such. But again, I really don't give a flying **** about what sub-micro-genre they belong to. Just trying to be helpful, though I doubt I was. Haha. Oh well, win some lose some.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Converge use a Bad Cat Lynx and a THD Flexi. This is all you need to know for hardcore or metalcore. If you're playing emo or post-hardcore influenced metalcore, you're already ripping off Converge anyways.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
im using a valvetronix and a tiny terror. not too hardcore i know.
mojostompboxes.com
Why don't you just research the gear that they use?

No, you don't need that high of gain because chord definition seems to be a must (I don't actually listen to much Hardcore stuff but being around my best friend I may as well be an expert in it because he is) Anyways, it's even possible to get those tones out of a fuzz box that you can set to low, almost only overdriven level.

It seems to my ears though, if you're going to do hardcore, note and chord definition and a tight tone is more important than high gain.
anything with the gain that gets the palm mutes you need.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by greeny23
what about peaveys?

That's what I was going to mention. It seems like whenever I see those screaming lunatics hardcore bands call frontmen I see more 6505s behind them than anything else.
Schecter player
Drummer-guitarist
Quote by -Nickel-
That's what I was going to mention. It seems like whenever I see those screaming lunatics hardcore bands call frontmen I see more 6505s behind them than anything else.

theres an art to being a screaming lunatic my friend.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
theres an art to being a screaming lunatic my friend.

Oh no I meant that as a term of endearment! I much prefer watching a screaming lunatic than some whiny guy hugging the mic stand all night.
Schecter player
Drummer-guitarist
i play in a post hardcore band that covers a lot of styles to the likes of btbam. i use a JSx and it handles all of it well. i would have gotten a 6505 plus, however the jsx was a steal of a price, and im glad i got it. the clean on this sounds great for those very layered ambient style clean parts.

and its nice having 3 channels. sometimes crunch is all the distortion you need
Quote by xkmattx
i play in a post hardcore band that covers a lot of styles to the likes of btbam. i use a JSx and it handles all of it well. i would have gotten a 6505 plus, however the jsx was a steal of a price, and im glad i got it. the clean on this sounds great for those very layered ambient style clean parts.

and its nice having 3 channels. sometimes crunch is all the distortion you need

that's what I would suggest.

Jsx
6505+
333xl
xxx
Mesa dual recto

High gain amps will do. Also contrary to popular belief get a 4x12 for the low end.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
that's what I would suggest.

Jsx
6505+
333xl
xxx
Mesa dual recto

High gain amps will do. Also contrary to popular belief get a 4x12 for the low end.

+ 1 to them and also
orange rocker series (maybe)
Boosted AD series i think
rockerverb 50 also
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
[quote="'[EricS"]']Refer to my signature?

A medium-high gain with a nice delay for solos.

Also, tune to Drop-D!!!

you modded it?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
[quote="'[EricS"]']No, the ValveKing and the DS-1 is all you need.

...And high-output EMGs.

my mates sound a lot better with a speaker swap and a OD
but he does have EMGs

well EMG

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
yeah thats what he has too, got a celestion G12-75 and a V30 in there sounds amazing
and hes gonna be getting a 2x12 soon
no idea what speakers tho

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
get a jcm 900/dsl/tsl/jvm/ma or an orange ad30, rockerverb, laney vh100r/tt, peavey 6505 plus or 3120 (valveking with mods will be okish) (you need at least 2 channels for the clean parts of more modern 'hardcore'), an od, a delay (if you're gonna be doing any alexisonfire) possibly a chorus, tune down to drop -d with a les paul or sg. wear a tight t-shirt.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
VK wouldn't even be on my list for Hardcore music. I didn't even add the DSL.. hehe anyways I would suggest a JVM over a DSl. I hated my DSL100.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
[quote="'[EricS"]']No, the ValveKing and the DS-1 is all you need.

...And high-output EMGs.

It would be better if you had a bad monkey though and replaced the valves, speakers and OT to make it sound decent. I agree on the EMG's though but it depends if you're playing proper heavy/death metal stuff.

Basically for a metal/hardcore/death metal/metal-core rig etc. all you need is a peavey 6505/5150 with a mesa cab and a Tubescreamer, noisegate and Eq pedal. A cheaper alternative would be a Bugera 6262 with a marshall 1960a cab perhaps.

If you're playing more punk hardcore stuff like alexisonfire, underoath then I'd say a marshall or orange amp instead

Its best to research what your fave band has but more than likely they'll have a peavey 6505/5150

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Last edited by blything09 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by greeny23
im using a valvetronix and a tiny terror. not too hardcore i know.

Are you starting to gig? If no, sell the valvetronix, buy an OD pedal and a 2x12 cab (V30+Celestion that is less mid-oriented) for your tiny terror and call it a day.

If yes, buy yourself a JCM900 and you'll be set for the tones in the youtube vids. When I saw Alexisonfire at warped, both Dallas and Wade had JCM900s. I know Silverstein used JCM900s on Discovering the Waterfront (their best IMO), and the JCM900 is fully capable of achiveving FATA and Chiodos with an OD.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Are you starting to gig? If no, sell the valvetronix, buy an OD pedal and a 2x12 cab (V30+Celestion that is less mid-oriented) for your tiny terror and call it a day.

If yes, buy yourself a JCM900 and you'll be set for the tones in the youtube vids. When I saw Alexisonfire at warped, both Dallas and Wade had JCM900s. I know Silverstein used JCM900s on Discovering the Waterfront (their best IMO), and the JCM900 is fully capable of achiveving FATA and Chiodos with an OD.

Best help yet, thank you!

I am starting to do small gigs, and i have a 2x12 for the TT.
I have a TS9 on the way, good start?
mojostompboxes.com
Page 1 of 2